PDA

View Full Version : performance muffler

streetracer
12-16-2002, 02:50 PM
I'm looking at many different performance mufflers but I can't find one just right for me yet. I want the muffler to make my 95 galant sound pretty loud. What kind of mufflers could i look at for under 250 to get that sound? Also how much, if any, horsepower would i gain?

Kain
12-16-2002, 05:29 PM
Uhh, you know mufflers alone don't do much about sound right? I guess you could get a really cheap one, and it'll make nice buzzy annoying sounds. If you want a lounder exhaust, have a muffler shop cut out your resonator, replace it with just straight piping, and than Get a decent muffler like Magnaflow, Remus, or the like. Should give you the volume you want without the "constepated bumblebee" sound of the 1.6L Honda Should all come in under $250. And the hp you'll see depends heavily on the muffler you chose, and previous mods made. When used with just an intake, I'd say between 5 and 10. Not a lot, but should be noticable. Kinda low because an exhaust is only as free flowing as it's most restrictive part. And the exhaust manifold is still pretty restrictive as well as the stock cat. With just the muffler change you're only removing the last restriction in the line.

evil-G-nius
12-16-2002, 05:50 PM
You could do that, but if you get a remus you will pay more than 250 for just the muffler. I have a remus, it sounds great and well worth the money. But if you dont want to spend that kinda money look on-line for a universal no name muffler. They are usually cheaper,light weight, and sound pretty good provided you do what Kain said. Remove the resonators, straight pipes etc. An intake, cold air or short ram,will also deepen yet louden the sound

4G64
12-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Honestly if u want sound.... just pick up any universal 'coffee can' muffler with the biggest exhaust tip u can find.. and weld on by any muffler shop... and if it has silencer in it.. take it out.. believe me... it would be LOUD!!!!!!!... Because I've done it.. and it only took me two days to realize what a big mistake I've made... it was so loud my ears start to bleed.... :orangeyes: and it would be under 250.. a decent Arospeed bomb muffler would run u about 120 shipped.. and it would cost 40 to 50 at any local muffler shop to weld it on....

nitegsrider
12-18-2002, 08:41 PM
I have just a can muffler from ractive, its the Type V, and according to everyone its pretty loud. So i am happy. it was only like 120 :twisted: :twisted:

NICK