PDA

View Full Version : 3m tape

03_silver_8g
09-11-2007, 08:48 PM
so...i just put on my egr visor the other day with some double sided tape, mind you it wasn't 3M but i assumed it was the same thing. after i bought it it seemed like it was really sturdy. but today i come home and my dad tells me it fell off. so my question is is there some trick to putting the tape on or should i just have used 3m tape?

IceDouTGaLanT
09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
hmm i would use 3m brand, but your sapposed to get rubbing alchol and clean the surface before you stick the 3m tape on the glass. i hade mine on for 3+ years still no budge

03_silver_8g
09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
well i windexed it...probably not good enough, then i drove it like a little while after...probably not a good idea.

komodo
09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
well i windexed it...probably not good enough, then i drove it like a little while after...probably not a good idea.

Hahah for some reason I found that a bit funny, sorry.
But I think it's just best to use what everyone suggests. Straight to the point that's known to work best.

polishmafia
09-11-2007, 09:47 PM
1) you need to clean the area REALLY well.
2) youre not supposed to drive it for a few hours to let the tape set in.

fatal1
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
the reason 3m is suggested is because it is stong and made for things like that ventshades etc....when you go to the suto part store it is usually a roll and the sides are covered in a red film and says something like external adhesive or something....a trick is to properly clean the surface using rubbing alcohol...let that drythen heat the surface on a warm clear day using a heat gun or blow dryer

pinoyesv6
09-12-2007, 08:13 AM
you might even go take the extra step and get some adhesion promotor for double stick tape.

you also want to follow the directions for applying the tape. for example, the tape might have trouble sticking if its too cold. or if its too humid. stuff like that.

RedGalant2k1
09-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Rubbing alcohol prep pads should have came with the visor if it was new. If not than you'll just have to use some. The the double sided sticky tape, and a heat gun with light heat.

pinoyesv6
09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
oh another thing. clean off all the old tape before applying the new tape. its pretty much the same process to apply the double stick tape to the visor as it is to the car.

03_silver_8g
09-12-2007, 08:05 PM
well seeing as how the tape i used doesn't stick at all with water....i used windex, which has water in it. i don't know if rubbing alcohol is straight alcohol or if it has water in it, but i assume not. so i probably shouldn't have used that. plus i don't think it dried but it stuck really well, but it rained two nights ago and i guess it didn't set yet so it just fell off.

pinoyesv6
09-12-2007, 11:46 PM
you can use plain rubbing alcohol. the visor will tend to stay in its place better though if you let the alcohol air dry first.