PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell if I have an exhaust leak?

evil-G-nius
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
The biggest thing so far that makes me think I have one is, under hard acceleration (like getting on the freeway) inside the car smells like fumes. Windows down or not. Ideas? how do I check for this

fatal1
09-12-2007, 10:47 AM
well generally you will hear it...usually like a whistle....also have a freind come over while you get under the car...with the car running have him hit the accelerator and see if you hear anything have a water spray bottle ready and spreay around teh welds etc look for air bubbles

Bezzle
09-12-2007, 10:53 AM
^x2. Or go to a shop and let them lift ur car up and check. When I was curious about my ripped open flex pipe, I let a shop in "PATERS :D N" check it out. No charge for inspecting ya know.

RedGalant2k1
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
An exhaust leak will have a lot of noise, not always fumes. What do the fumes smell like? Sulfur? Or Fuel?

evil-G-nius
09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
An exhaust leak will have a lot of noise, not always fumes. What do the fumes smell like? Sulfur? Or Fuel?

Eh...typical exhaust fumes. Just not normal....like I said never happend before. I am pretty sure its my flex pipe. That is the only part of my exhaust that has not been changed since I had the car. I dont hear a whistle per say...but I can hear...a hiss I guess would be the best way to describe it.

xxarmandxx
09-12-2007, 01:59 PM
yeaa you probaly do i had one not to long ago after i put in my cat-back sounded like whistlin/hiss but like fatal said...lift the car up and have it runnin or someone hit the gas and where u hear it just put your hand there and you can feel the air comin out. i bought some gasket sealer and it worked fine...its like 2bux at any hardware store...just make sure the pipin isnt hot and let it harden if that is the case...

DOHCstunr
09-12-2007, 03:14 PM
when the enginen and exhaust are cold.
set the car up on jack stands.

lay underneath your ride and with yoru hands feel for any air movements.

you will hear a pfft pfft pfft if you have a leak usually.

also, look for carbon/ soot residue. any place where there is soot there is or has been a leak.
some leaks won't show their face at low exhaust pressures(idle) or when the metals themselves are cool.

if you ever re-used a gasket. go ahead and replace it now... cause trust me its leaking.

typically there aren't leaks in plain pipe. problem area's will be at flanges and any place there is a weld.
don't forget to feel the top of the pipe(where you can't see) chances are if you can't see it.. your welder had a difficult time laying a perfect bead up there.
trace from the head to the exhaust tip.

exhaust leaks rob you of power and make yoru exhaust sound shitty.
fix every one you find.

evil-G-nius
09-12-2007, 04:10 PM
^^^ I hear ya. I think it probably is at the flange....its a little rusty from when I lived back east. Thats the only part of the exhaust that is stock. I am just gonna get that shit replaced soon. Luckily my exhaust still sounds great but I bet if I get the leak fixed it will sound sooo much better.