PDA

View Full Version : new member w/ a problem

goldie_415
12-16-2002, 09:35 PM
first of all i want to give props to the creater of this site!!!! i just bought my car about a month ago and i immediately got on the net and searched for a site for the galant and ideas on how to hook it up, and stumbled across this site... and its off the backboard!!! anywayz, like i said, i just bought my 2002 es/4cl about a month ago and im noticing that when i get to about 60-65 mph it starts shimmying(sp?), or pulling slightly from side to side-thats the best way can describe the feeling. i was wondering if someone else has had the same problem or can give me some ideas on what it is and how to fix it.

pinoyesv6
12-16-2002, 09:43 PM
if its a month old...my suggestion, take the lazy man's route and go to the service department at the dealer...

TJC
12-16-2002, 09:49 PM
Welcome to TGC goldie_415. First I would check all the tire pressures to make sure they're all correct. Anything beyond that should be looked at by the dealer b/c you just got the car as Pinoy suggests. Just make sure you're not feeling this effect from an uneven road.

BlueESV6
12-17-2002, 05:53 AM
Welcome to TGC! Sounds like it may be a balance problem... just a guess. As everyone else said, take it back to the dealer you bought it from and have them rebalance the tires.... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BGR
12-17-2002, 06:01 AM
Thank you and welcome to The Galant Center.

By chance have you upgraded your tires? Does it move like this always after 60-65 or only at this speed on certain stretches of road?

Reason I ask is that I have some Nitto 450 Exit directional's on my other car and it makes my car move like you're describing but I found out it happened only when I drove over the rain grooves on the freeway. For the longest I thought it was some gust of wind blowing me back and forth until I noticed that the trees where not moving. Needless to say, these tires suck.

Not sure if I want to say you're lucky because most people had a front end shake with their new Galants after 70 mph. I think it was due to warped disc brakes.

Gilhuly
12-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Sounds like flaky tire balancing job. Have the dealer just totally re-do the wheel balancing.