PDA

View Full Version : PROGRESS SPRINGS

jman380
12-17-2002, 12:03 AM
HEY GUYS I DECIDED TO JUST HOOK UP ELANORE INSTEAD OF GETTING THE LEXUS I THINK IT WILL BE ALOT CHEAPER. BUT FIRST MOD IM DOING IS MY SUSPENSION WHERE CAN I GET THE PROGRESS SPRINGS CHEAP I ONLY WANT THE PROGRESS CAUSE OF THE LOW DROP BUT IF THEY ARE CHEAP AND WONT LAST THROUGH A CHICAGO WINTER I DONT WANT THEM HOLA BACK

BGR
12-17-2002, 12:04 AM
Get them through my signature - Ptuning.com

NRG
12-17-2002, 12:07 AM
While on the topic, BGR, didn't you have the progress spring too?? My question is, did you have to cut the foam stopper thingy in half?? Or was there nothing to be done prior to putting the progress springs on?

jacuZZi
12-17-2002, 12:26 AM
While on the topic, BGR, didn't you have the progress spring too?? My question is, did you have to cut the foam stopper thingy in half?? Or was there nothing to be done prior to putting the progress springs on?

i cut mine off in half 8)

BGR
12-17-2002, 12:59 AM

Yes I have the Progress springs and bought them from PTuning. No cutting and I had a shop put them on for $150. It took about 45 minutes for the install.

NRG
12-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Hope I am as fortunate as you on not needing a camber kit........I too ordered mine from Ptuning and will be putting them on soon....

BGR
12-17-2002, 01:55 AM
I can pretty much guarantee you won't need one. Just remember, it's ok to have up to -2 degrees of camber. If you have +2 degrees, then you'll want and need a camber kit. +2 would mean that the wheels are pointing outwards from the car at the top. -2 would be slanting towards the car and actually helps in cornering.

NRG
12-17-2002, 02:16 AM
If its -2 and slanting towards the inside, wouldn't the tires rub the springs when going up and down??

BGR
12-17-2002, 05:48 AM
nope. trust me. I have -2 on just 1 wheel while the other 3 are at 0. There hasn't been any uneven wear thus far.

http://www.clubtgc.org/images/b4_and_af3.jpg
my mistake. I have -2.5 degrees on the 1 rear wheel. It looks the same in the top pic, too. It was probably like this from the factory.

Tiptronic
12-17-2002, 07:08 AM
mine ended up looking like that after about a month of settling. as far as cutting the bumpstops,; its kinda up to you. some say that it gives you more play when you hit bumps so you dont bottom out so to speak, but its not that necessary

NRG
12-17-2002, 11:53 AM
I am going a little off topic on this but its related to suspension....I have a torque wrench that can only do 150 max...And I read the service manual and I believe it said that some bolts on the suspension needs to be torqued at 200+....What can I do?? I ain't got an air gun.....

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 11:55 AM
I am going a little off topic on this but its related to suspension....I have a torque wrench that can only do 150 max...And I read the service manual and I believe it said that some bolts on the suspension needs to be torqued at 200+....What can I do?? I ain't got an air gun.....

check ur local auto parts store. see if they got a loaner one. or maybe buy one then return it when ur done lol

NRG
12-17-2002, 11:58 AM
So I take it I won't get away with under torquing the suspension?? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 12:00 PM
So I take it I won't get away with under torquing the suspension?? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

you can...but you're gonna kick urself in the ass when ur suspension falls apart on the road...

NRG
12-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Just thought of another question......If I get the KYB adjuster with my Progress springs, I wouldn't need a spring compressor anymore right? Don't just slip on?

Thanks Pinoy, I can always count on you!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Just thought of another question......If I get the KYB adjuster with my Progress springs, I wouldn't need a spring compressor anymore right? Don't just slip on?

Thanks Pinoy, I can always count on you!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

ur gonna need a spring compressor...you wanna get rid of ur stock springs corectly...not them shooting at your car uncontrollably

NRG
12-17-2002, 12:10 PM
But why would I need to take the stocks apart when I have a whole new set of struts and spring??

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 12:15 PM
But why would I need to take the stocks apart when I have a whole new set of struts and spring??

good question. i was reading on club 3g that you had to compress the front springs when u go to install them...

Tazz2000
12-17-2002, 12:34 PM
:shock: The freakin camber kit is more than the damn springs.

If I got these, would I need to replace the hydrolic thingies? I don't know about the engine stuff. I'm the car audio expert. :biggrin:

Will trade audio advice for suspension advice. :retard:

Danger DANJ
12-17-2002, 12:47 PM

I have the Progress springs as well, I did cut the bump stops in half and you do need a spring compressor unless you buy a real coilover/damper suspension. You see, even with the KYB's or Koni inserts(I have KYB in the rear and Koni in the front), you still need the hat/top of the stock shocks and struts and you need to compress the new springs to get the hats/tops on. As far as camber, my rear was -2 and I chose to get a camber kit. I actually think having a camber kit is what is making my 18's rub the rear fenders occaisionally. If I still had the -2 camber, I don't think they would rub because they are barely rubbing now.

Danger DANJ
12-17-2002, 12:50 PM
If I got these, would I need to replace the hydrolic thingies?

I assume you mean the struts and shocks? You don't have to replace them, BGR didn't, but I had no choice because my front struts blew out very quickly.

Tazz2000
12-17-2002, 12:52 PM

I assume you mean the struts and shocks? You don't have to replace them, BGR didn't, but I had no choice because my front struts blew out very quickly.

Well, I'm getting close to 30k mi, and I think I remember somebody saying I should replace it somewhere around there. If I decide to, what should I look for?

Danger DANJ
12-17-2002, 12:56 PM

Well, I'm getting close to 30k mi, and I think I remember somebody saying I should replace it somewhere around there. If I decide to, what should I look for?

I would go with the KYB's, front and rear. The only other options are the Koni inserts for the front and Tokico's for the rear. You are just better off having a set that matches since they will compliment each other better. The only reason I have the Koni inserts up front instead of the KYB's is because the front KYB's weren't available when my stock fronts blew out.

Tiptronic
12-17-2002, 01:02 PM

mine didnt blow, but i changed mine cause ppl say its best to do it all at one time. saves time, and money(if you get a shop to do the work)

Tazz2000
12-17-2002, 01:34 PM
How much should I expect to pay for the struts? The first price I have been able to find is $389

jomin1016
12-17-2002, 01:44 PM
http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html ('http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html') try these guys - they have AGX' listed for 360 online - and I called and got the set for 345 shipped....talked to Mike Blackwell....he also gave me a coupon code for guys that wanted to order online ....to save 10 bux......21064.....

NRG
12-17-2002, 07:25 PM
Jomin, was it a prompt shipment?? How long did it take for you to receive it?

Ada
12-17-2002, 09:24 PM
I got my Progress Springs from www.digitalracer.com

Pretty decent company, took about 1.5 weeks to get from my order online to my doorstep. I recommend calling them for any orders though just to make sure they have it in stock. They also gave me free shipping.

mrjaydeeone
12-18-2002, 04:51 PM
I got mine from www.optauto.com for about 150 shipped and had them in about a week.....got charged 200 to have em installe, and no camber kit needed here...
my rear wheels tilt in on the top...the bottom of the wheels are slightly further out then the tops...
you can see in my avatar

NRG
12-18-2002, 04:58 PM
But are you riding on stock struts?? If so, how long have you been using these springs..........Any sign of shocks dying yet??

mrjaydeeone
12-18-2002, 05:29 PM
still got the stock struts and shox....
I've had front droped since April and rear dropped since June...
I only got about 30,000 miles on the car...
I think they are gonna go some point next year...the ride seems a little more bouncy then it was...

Ada
12-18-2002, 07:26 PM
I got my Progress springs installed for only 80 bones. Got a good shop near me that is really cool.

I LOVED the look in the front, but the backend is too low IMO so I may put the stock springs back in the rear and since I plan on putting a system there too. I think it will be a wise decision.

And for the ride, I wasn't impressed. IMO, you should get some aftermarket shocks cause the stock ones really can't take the lowering. Even though they hold out, the ride is too bouncy for me. It feels as though I look like I cut my coils when I go over a speed bump. That make sense? Anyways, I'm going to try to get KYB's ASAP, but since the holidays are approaching, I'm going to have to put that shit on hold.

antmoneygtz
12-18-2002, 07:41 PM
im lookin to get progress springs jus for my front end 2 cuz i got a system in da back... now like u guyz were sayin.. u guyz think my suspensionz gonna go after a while??? u think its a good idea to change everything at once??? if u do how much u think it would cost for jus da front end??? and wats the diff between stock gtz suspension and the regular es suspension... cuz i gotta gtz and supposidly i have a sports tunes suspension... i c no diff though??? help a brotha out guyz... peace

BlankMan
12-18-2002, 08:23 PM
http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html ('http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html') try these guys - they have AGX' listed for 360 online - and I called and got the set for 345 shipped....talked to Mike Blackwell....he also gave me a coupon code for guys that wanted to order online ....to save 10 bux......21064.....

That's good to know - considering there was a GB for $365 plus shipping.... hmmmm.

J

jacuZZi
12-18-2002, 09:47 PM
I got mine from www.optauto.com for about 150 shipped and had them in about a week.....got charged 200 to have em installe, and no camber kit needed here...
my rear wheels tilt in on the top...the bottom of the wheels are slightly further out then the tops...
you can see in my avatar

ouch, $200 to installed? seems about right, but the shop on my area charge $100. and mine is labor free. :wink:

ChromeGalant
12-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Do it yourself.. very easy..wont cost a dime..

mbssbm
12-19-2002, 12:41 AM
I got mine from ptuning for $159. Fast service from ptuning.com. They were supposed to be in today when i got home from work and i was looking foward to installing them tonight but the dumb ass UPS guys forgot to put it on the truck even though it somehow left the local warehouse this morning, so i have to wait till tomorrow. Man i'm so mad I've been looking forward to getting my springs today but now i must wait 8 hours and i cn't take it,, ARGGHHH

jomin1016
12-19-2002, 01:29 AM
well, I ordered my agx's from cox imports on a sat and got them on wed- - as promised.....good price, fast shipping...don't know what else to look for in an online company....everything seemed pretty good to me....

Ada
12-19-2002, 04:41 AM

Is there a guide somewhere on how to change out the springs? I'm interested in changing out my rear springs. Rear easier than front? Lemme in on the knowledge! 8)

jacuZZi
12-19-2002, 10:37 AM

Is there a guide somewhere on how to change out the springs? I'm interested in changing out my rear springs. Rear easier than front? Lemme in on the knowledge! 8)

ya i think last time there is a tutorial on how to do it but i dont have the link, and the back are pretty easy to change, just take off your back seat so you can reach the bolt for the struts on both side, and theres should be 3 bolts on each side.(2 on top, and one on the bottom ) :wink:

BGR
12-19-2002, 10:44 AM

Thanks for reminding me. I keep forgetting to post this info for everybody.

Messiah
12-19-2002, 05:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacuZZi)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ada)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChromeGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do it yourself.. very easy..wont cost a dime..</div>

Is there a guide somewhere on how to change out the springs? I'm interested in changing out my rear springs. Rear easier than front? Lemme in on the knowledge! 8)</div>

ya i think last time there is a tutorial on how to do it but i dont have the link, and the back are pretty easy to change, just take off your back seat so you can reach the bolt for the struts on both side, and theres should be 3 bolts on each side.(2 on top, and one on the bottom ) :wink:</div>

This should help

http://www.spcperformance.com/PerfTechSect..._ProjMit_A.html ('http://www.spcperformance.com/PerfTechSect/PerfProjectCar/Mitsubishi/PerfTech_ProjMit_A.html')

jman380
12-20-2002, 12:04 AM
hey guys since were on the subject of suspension my ride really sucks with stock i mean i feel every damn bump and crack literally. thats y i wanted to get rid of my ride but i love the look of elanore too. did anyone else have this problem. also whats better kyb agx or konis

Ada
12-20-2002, 01:40 AM
I feel every damn bump on stock shocks too. You aren't alone. I love the look and I won't be going back so my only option is to upgrade to after market shocks. Hopefully that will supress some of the 'cut-coils' effect.

NRG
12-20-2002, 02:13 AM
Hmmm, I wonder why the KYB AGX Front left and right are different. If you look at the product number, its different. For the rear left and right, they are same.....

I believe the 00+ Eclipse set will fit the 8g am I correct?

BlankMan
12-20-2002, 06:32 AM
On the front, I believe that has to do with different lengths in half-shafts (axles), resulting in different pivot points and therefore slightly different compression angles and force for the left/right sides. The rear is axle is one piece, so same specs for both sides.

J

Dram3000
12-20-2002, 06:47 AM
Yup, pretty much.

NRG
12-20-2002, 11:40 AM
So the Galant and Eclipse is the same way??

NRG
12-20-2002, 11:43 AM
The other thing I need to ask about the KYB is if I use the KYB with Progress springs, is there any thing I need from my stock shocks?? Any parts I need to take off the stocks to put on the KYB or do they come with everything needed to install?

99DE
01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jomin1016)</div><div class='quotemain'>http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html ('http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html') try these guys - they have AGX' listed for 360 online - and I called and got the set for 345 shipped....talked to Mike Blackwell....he also gave me a coupon code for guys that wanted to order online ....to save 10 bux......21064.....</div>

You the man Jomin :!:

I just ordered my set today for $345 shipped, and set it up to where you just mention The Galant Center car club to get the same price. This price is insane, they must do mass volume, because I called around locally to big name stores who sell KYB and they all quoted me over $750 plus tax, I mentioned these prices and they laughed saying they were probably the G2 prices. Wander if we can set this up sticky in Vendor forums.

jomin1016
01-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Well - when rich had his Group buy goin on - I was talkin to him bout tryin to get in with this guy at cox imports, but he didn't wanna seem to move on it - so I just said forget the group buy and ordered from cox...better price and no waitin.....

99DE
01-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Did you get the kyb boots? If so, which ones did you get, there are 2 separate ones for the rear on tirerack.com. A strut boot or a strut and shock mount boot.

99DE
01-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Wow, Just had a knock on the door and my KYB's arrived. I just ordered them yesterday. That's nice. A foot note I found on the warranty, they say the warranty is void if your car is lowered more than 1.5''. and that the KYB's can take up to a 1.5'' drop. Lets see if I can get these installed this afternoon.

NRG
01-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Yeah, its fast because they have a warehouse in California......

mrjaydeeone
01-11-2003, 04:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jomin1016)</div><div class='quotemain'>http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html ('http://www.coximport.com/agx/apps.html') try these guys - they have AGX' listed for 360 online - and I called and got the set for 345 shipped....talked to Mike Blackwell....he also gave me a coupon code for guys that wanted to order online ....to save 10 bux......21064.....</div>

I emailed him and this is the response he gave me when asked about a discount or a possible group buy

I cannot go much deeper on the discount. I can offer this. You guys can use
coupon code 21065 upon checkout, and save an additional $10.00. You can also
select free shipping upon checkout. This will save a lot, as these units are
heavy, and kind of bulky. Feel free to call if we can help you more.
Michael
1-800-470-6511
www.coximport.com

99DE
01-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Trust me, this price can't be beat. Also you get the AGX's for $345 shipped that's $15 off the listed price. I've seen group buys on these at the club3g and groupbuy.com and here, and that price Ã*s unbeatable.

NRG
01-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Yup.......and don't email them..............call in and ask.............thats what I did and got my price for 345 shipped.........

ViciousLord
01-13-2003, 05:19 AM
can we 7gers get in on this hott deal, if so how long will this last?

shashivr4
01-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know the model # for the KYB AGX shocks for the rear and the back? How much of an improvement do they make and what setting do yall set them to? Why does some of them have 8 settings and some of them 4? Thanks.

Shashi

NRG
01-14-2003, 12:39 PM
I know you are new and all but try using the search tool up top....You will find all the answer you need there....

BGR
01-14-2003, 12:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know you are new and all but try using the search tool up top....You will find all the answer you need there....</div>

:laughing: ROTFLMAO :laughing: That hella funny NRG. ShashiVR4 has been around TGC since at least 2000. One of the early pioneers and one of the first people to have a Shogun kit on his car and do car shows. (No excuse for not knowing how to perform a search)

NRG
01-14-2003, 12:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know you are new and all but try using the search tool up top....You will find all the answer you need there....</div>

:laughing: ROTFLMAO :laughing: That hella funny NRG. ShashiVR4 has been around TGC since at least 2000. One of the early pioneers and one of the first people to have a Shogun kit on his car and do car shows. (No excuse for not knowing how to perform a search)</div>

Old school member with 1 post?? :roll:

BGR
01-14-2003, 01:27 PM
He was never a big poster and pretty much did his own thing. There are SEVERAL people like that here that has been with TGC since the beginning.

This is his ride before he came to TGC.

https://thegalantcenter.org/gallery/Members_Rides/P_through_T/ShashiVR4/shashi1.jpg

Lazarus
01-14-2003, 01:30 PM
i usually catch him on Messenger. But I use to have a pic of his car also hanging up in my room inspiring me to be great :saint: Then the Performance side of me took over and it's been a roller coaster ever since trying to balance out the 2.

ViciousLord
01-14-2003, 05:51 PM
???

shashivr4
01-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the support BGR. I should of used the search to begin with but trying to handle school and everything else at one time, time goes by fast. Thats why I guess I don't post too much, but when I need to get some info or give out some I do take the time to. BGR, you do know my car looks alot different now? If not I'll get you some pics. Later.

Shashi

BGR
01-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks.

Different? Nope. I haven't seen what you've done to your Ride.

ViciousLord
01-16-2003, 12:56 PM
can we 7gers get in on this deal, if so how long will this last?

im not gonna stop askin until somebody answers

BGR
01-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Didn't see your first post, VL. Call them up man, this offer is good for all of TGC and is on-going until whenever. If they have your struts in stock or they make KYB AGX's for the 7G then he should honor the price.

shashivr4
01-16-2003, 06:13 PM
BGR, check this link out. http://www.geocities.com/shashivr4/index.html ('http://www.geocities.com/shashivr4/index.html') Let me know what you think.

Shashi

EvoLuTioN
01-16-2003, 07:19 PM
the reason some rears are 4 way adjustable (#741020) and some are 8way adjustable (#741019) are because they're different shox... i called Cox and Mike told me that they both work for th 8G... as the rears design really hasn't changed in quite some time...

3G Eclipse: 741020 4way
2G Eclipse: 741019 8way

Evofreak7
02-10-2003, 05:35 PM
hey guys sorry im late but if you have room im in for the front and rear struts and shocks. Just checking but last I heard that Ground control coilovers will work fine with these right? Do I need to call the company to order them or are you guys doing it some other way?

MitsuRacer
02-10-2003, 08:59 PM
ok i am ready to go with buying these springs. I have a 2001 ES. What i havent seen any of you comment on is how your ride is. Is it the same, worse, or better. I really would like to hear some feedback on that if possible. Also, would you suggest a camber or should i wait to see if i need one? Thanks guys. :twisted:

NRG
02-10-2003, 10:26 PM
After dropping it with Progress you will definitely see the cambering in the rear. The fronts are not noticable. I suggest that even though its only -2 degree or so, go get a camber kit.......And don't forget to get an alignment.....

I can't tell you how the ride is because I installed KYB shocks with the Progress.......

Evofreak7
02-13-2003, 09:55 AM
how long can I expect to wait for this group buy to take?

Evofreak7
02-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Sorry guys im going to have to back down from this I had an accident last night with the Galant. I hit some black ice and I was unable to turn or stop I couldn't do a damn thing (a hate not having control it kills me). I hit the curb at 23 MPH with the left wheel scraping the rim and I think the wheel is missed alined so im going to be spending sometime fixing it. it runs but the wheel is slightly tilted and the steering is uneven so I have my work cut out for me. Sorry if this screws up anyone’s plains.

99DE
02-15-2003, 07:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Evofreak7)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry guys im going to have to back down from this I had an accident last night with the Galant. Â*I hit some black ice and I was unable to turn or stop I couldn't do a damn thing (a hate not having control it kills me). Â*I hit the curb at 23 MPH with the left wheel scraping the rim and I think the wheel is missed alined so im going to be spending sometime fixing it. Â*it runs but the wheel is slightly tilted and the steering is uneven so I have my work cut out for me. Â*Sorry if this screws up anyone’s plains.</div>

Make sure you check your policy, sometime black ice is an excluded peril. If it is, you might have to change your story so it is covered.

Good luck

Tiptronic
02-17-2003, 08:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Evofreak7)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry guys im going to have to back down from this I had an accident last night with the Galant. Â*I hit some black ice and I was unable to turn or stop I couldn't do a damn thing (a hate not having control it kills me). Â*I hit the curb at 23 MPH with the left wheel scraping the rim and I think the wheel is missed alined so im going to be spending sometime fixing it. Â*it runs but the wheel is slightly tilted and the steering is uneven so I have my work cut out for me. Â*Sorry if this screws up anyone’s plains.</div>

that just happened to me. cost me like $450 to fix, cause the spindle was bent to hell. my rim is bent pretty bad as well

Evofreak7
02-19-2003, 04:12 PM
I think that's my problem as well MITSU I know the rim is bent but I have a feeling the spindle is bent as well.

Evofreak7
02-20-2003, 10:22 PM
well that figures it's the ball joint.

antmoneygtz
02-22-2003, 12:11 PM
wat up guyz... im lookin at the eibach pro kit springs... now i know after a certain number of miles my stock shox and strutz'll eventually go on me... but if i replace them now will the new strutz and shox be able to handle the drop better? and when do u think the new strutz and shox would go... cuz to me it aint worth replacin the shox and strutz every 20k. help me out guyz... im new on the suspension tip. they say its supposed to give a 1.2 drop when its all settled... can any of you show me what that 1.2 drop looks like?? I know, mad questions... sorry... any info would be awsome though... thanx... peace...

antmoneygtz
02-22-2003, 12:26 PM
oh one more thing... i got 18x8 konig appeals on my 2001 gtz... just alil more info...

FLiPSTYLE
04-07-2003, 09:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yup.......and don't email them..............call in and ask.............thats what I did and got my price for 345 shipped.........</div>

Just called coximport and spoke to a Philip. The discount according to him ended 2 weeks ago. Best he can do now is $380 shipped. Just an update.