PDA

View Full Version : temperature needle

ucool80
12-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Ok, so now that I installed my Halo Gauges everything went fine, I mean everything was functioning properly till after I installed the gauges now today just a night after, the temp gauge needle even early this morning when i know the car was cold, the temp needle sat almost half way where it normally after warming up would sit. Now i dont know if the needle is broken or what happened, i was really careful with putting the new gauges. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif If the car were to ever heat up god knows if the temp needle would respond or would still sit in the middle. What do i do?

I hope I dont have to get another gauge cluster.

Chris9770
12-17-2002, 09:36 AM
I have that same problem. I don't thing theirs anything wrong with the temp gauge or needle. I just think the needle is weak but the needle will move after a while.

Chris

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 09:44 AM
check otu teh main page of TGC, tehy got a tutorial on how to fix ur needles there...

ucool80
12-17-2002, 09:54 AM
Where is it Pinoy? I couldnt see it.

could you put the link to the tutorial here please?

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Where is it Pinoy? I couldnt see it.

could you put the link to the tutorial here please?

i could...but will i :?: hmmm ok ('http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/gauges.htm')

ucool80
12-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Thank you Pinoy....My temp needle is already sitting in the middle, but it sits there even at cold. What do i do?

99DE
12-17-2002, 11:49 AM
My temperature guage needle gets stuck because of the car temperature. When it is cold in the mornings the plastic shrinks and when it warms up outside the plastic expands. So my temperature needle is the only thing that is effected by this. You can solve this problem the ol fashion way by hitting the top of the dash and the needle will loosen up and return to normal.

ucool80
12-18-2002, 11:24 AM
99DE's method really did work, although i never had to do this before. Im not very happy about it but if i have to live with it i guess i will. I dont think its broken though as after i tap it when i know the engine is warm it comes back and sits back in the middle and does not go past that point. But what i wonder is will it ever go to 'H' if the car heats u.

ucool80
12-20-2002, 09:50 AM
well this is just fantastic.....last night im sitting in my car waiting on someone to get back from Wal Mart, and i notice my temp needle is really close to 'H' well it freaked me out and i tapped on it and it did come down, but what the hell. Should i just take the plastic cover off and press on the needle? Maybe i should have never done this gauge thing.

any advice is appreciated.

pinoyesv6
12-20-2002, 11:33 AM
don't push the needle in. thats the worst thing u can do. you can either ruin the mechanism that turns it or you can lock the needle in place so it can't move and then ruin the mechanism

99DE
12-20-2002, 11:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucool80)</div><div class='quotemain'>well this is just fantastic.....last night im sitting in my car waiting on someone to get back from Wal Mart, and i notice my temp needle is really close to 'H' well it freaked me out and i tapped on it and it did come down, but what the hell. Should i just take the plastic cover off and press on the needle? Maybe i should have never done this gauge thing.

any advice is appreciated.</div>

When you installed your guages, did you do it when your car was cold, or still warmed up? And if you did it when it was warmed up, did you put the needle back to the exact spot before installing guages? Because, the only reason your guage should go past the middle is because your car is overheating or your guage was set to Low when you installed it and it was actually near the middle.

To me it's a minor inconvenience, I'll just deal with it by tapping the dash. Like Pinoy said, don't do anything drastic with the needle. If your really bugged about it just reinstall after car is cold and do the tutorial.

ucool80
12-20-2002, 12:48 PM
actually yes the car was warm, and i thought the needle would move back to the original position that it needed to when the engine is warm, so ya'll suggest that i remove the needle and put it back in when the engine is cold?

Actually I dont mind the inconvenience, its just that I worry that maybe a few years from now if the car ever over heated would the needle react properly or not, cause it stays at cold even when the engine is warm until i tap on the plastic cover. or if it goes past the middle i tap on it and it comes back down to the middle or lower position somewhere.