PDA

View Full Version : Ignition System Upgrade

Oli97GalantES
12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
I already have the CAI and new performance muffler installed in my car and now I want a little bit more hp. I have new spark plugs and wires installed, too, but now I am looking into up grading the ignition system for more hp. Is it woth it and if so which one should I get?

Kain
12-17-2002, 02:47 PM
According to the places I've looked (Jacobs, MSD, Crane) there is no ignition upgrade for the Galant nor can one be used. It has something to do with internal capicators in the distributor or some such. You can go to DIS, but you'll have to change out your ECU. Sucks, but as far as I know it's the only way to go.

Oli97GalantES
12-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info. That sucks, too bad there isn't an easy one for the galant. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

MidNightRacing
12-17-2002, 04:39 PM
Sorry kain but your wrong!!!!!!!!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif oli you could go to Pttuning.com and they have a B&M ignition amp. and the B&M coil. Now as to what Kain said about the cars internal capicators in the distributor I dont know but you can get the amp n coil

2True
12-17-2002, 04:47 PM
I agree with Kain as I have been told the same thing time and time again. The ignition coil for the 64 is more than what's needed anywayz, basically even if there were an aftermarket kit you would not see any real gaines.

Those B&M products are universal, they can be mouted to any EFI car in theory.

Hell.. that company even sells BOV's for our car! lol
how many of you guys need your turbo upgraded too.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

MidNightRacing
12-17-2002, 04:52 PM
the point is that it will fit the galant i aint say that it would give any gain nor did i say it was exactly forthe galant only

ViciousLord
12-17-2002, 07:42 PM
are u positive it will fit? cause im needed to upgrade mine, this would be great

MidNightRacing
12-17-2002, 08:12 PM
yes it would because like 2true said their a universal part so it will fit anything

manybrews
12-17-2002, 10:19 PM
upgrading your ignition will NOT give you more HP.

the only reason to ever upgrade your ignition system is if the required voltage somehow exceeds what your current system is capable of (like you increased cylinder pressure via a turbo, or your current ignition system was in such disrepair that it doesnt function correctly).

Oli97GalantES
12-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Guess I'll be sticking with what I've got. Anything else I could do for more hp?

2True
12-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Guess I'll be sticking with what I've got. Anything else I could do for more hp?

Of course. What have you done so far?

Oli97GalantES
12-19-2002, 10:31 AM
CAI, performance muffler, bosch +4 spark plugs and wires replaced, wrapped headers in thermotec, stregthened motor mounts w/ windo weld, tightened TB cable(not really more hp)...that's about it for hp increases