PDA

View Full Version : exhaust help!

redlobster
12-17-2002, 04:00 PM
I found out that my flexpipe (the woven looking piece of metal) has small holes in it so my car is getting quite loud. Can i just replace it with a striaght pipe and whats the cheapest way? I'm poor and exhaust pros wanted 150 bucks! Any help is appreciated

pinoyesv6
12-17-2002, 04:15 PM
first of all u got to determine if that piece of piping really have to flex. some pieces of flex pipe are needed in ur exhaust to prolong the other parts of ur exhuast system. ur engine moves, ur headers move but the parts of ur exhaust that are behind those like the muffler, don't so if u were to replace it with solid pipe, you'd break ur exhaust quickly. if that piece ur talking about needs to flex, then let it flex ccuz its like a shock abosorber for the rest of ur exhaust

IllestGalant
12-24-2002, 04:22 PM
He's right. If you put a straight pipe on you could crack something more expensive because your motor moves so something else has to, even if it means by force.

4G64
12-26-2002, 09:39 AM
have u check your local junk yard to see if there's any galant there u can use the flex pipe. My flex pipe has a hole on it as well and I found a old flex pipe off a 94 LS at local junk yard for 20 bucks. I just use it for now until the 7G headers get here, why spend 150 on a small piece of pipe when u can get the whole header plus flex pipe for 250 more...

manybrews
12-26-2002, 09:07 PM
if you put a solid piece of pipe on there, you will transmit so much vibration to the body youll think the car is falling apart.

it there for a good reason. If you dont want to pay for a mitsu pipe, there are plenty of cheap aftermarket solutions (although you get what you pay for in my opinion).

redlobster
12-27-2002, 08:03 PM
I know i get what i pay for, and being poor means whatever is the cheapest :-(. Damn all cars! i knew i shouldnt have bought a newer car, I should just sell it and get a damn bicycle! My g/f wont car if its 10 degree's out and were cruising on my bike! lol

JiP
01-11-2003, 05:57 PM
I duno if youve solved your prob already but RoadRace Engineering built a poormans flex sectoin out of simple flexable exaust piping that you can get at autozone for like $8bucks. Only thing is if you dont have a welder youll have to pick up pipe clamps and cut off the flanges at the opposite ends of where the flex section bolts into.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipse...tflex_small.jpg ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/exhaust/diy3inchdp-atflex_small.jpg')

thats a pic of it

redlobster
01-12-2003, 02:01 AM
so that could work to replace our flex pipe since it looks just like it?

BEAST
01-12-2003, 02:18 AM
Personally if it were me, I would tolerate the leak in the flex pipe until I either
A found a cheap one at a junk yard or
B saved up enough money to get the headers and flex pipe
Thats just me though.

redlobster
01-12-2003, 12:28 PM
it doesnt really bother me right now, but the headers are quite expensive for me, im planning on going to a junkyard tomorrow and looking for the flex. thanks