PDA

View Full Version : Heat Wrapping

matjezel
09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
anyone know about wrapping your headers with a "heat wrap" made of a fiber glass fabric and some high temp silicone coating from DEI? It seems that it would trap in heat a lot better than the metal shield that covers it since it would on contact, if that seems to be the case would I not be needing the shield anymore?

4g63lover
09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
are you planning to wrap the stock header? if so, dont waste your time. you wont see that much difference trust me.

pinoyesv6
09-25-2007, 11:47 PM
as far as i know, heat wrap will void the warranty on most headers.

matjezel
09-26-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm guessing that goes for the same as aftermarket headers as well? no worries about the warranty though lol

SLS2000
09-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Ive read that the header fall apart quicker. I forget where but anyway.

Fishboy55
09-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Pinoy is right about aftermarket headers. Wrapping my RPM headers would immediately void the warranty. As far as wrapping the stock header, don't waste your time. The shield is to prevent dumbasses from touching the header when its hot. It doesn't do anything to keep heat in. Just remove the heatshield if you don't like it.

boostzealot
09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
header wrap is really for race applications which are changed quite a bit more than something that would be on a street driven car. the reason being is yes it does help keep the heat in the surrounding areas down but the header is basically "cooked" from the inside out. if you do want some kind of real heat protection without the heat shield then get them ceramic coated like i did with my headers. my underhood temps have probably drop 50 to 75 degrees just from the coating. check out HPC and if you need some pics just ask.

matjezel
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
thanks for the information guys. This may sound like a "newb" question but what exactly is HPC? Any recommendations on brands for ceramic coated manifolds?

pinoyesv6
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
a company that does ceramic coating.

matjezel
09-26-2007, 09:41 PM
oh awesome i misread that, it appears that HPC has a hq here in phoenix thanks again!

duh2150
09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
i heat wraped mine it did make less heat, but they are cooked but it on a stock header so i dont care lol, yes it does work but the black paint makes it look gay, lol thats hwy i didnt paint it, i rather have ceramic coating but i cant afford it lol

duh2150
09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
i heat wraped mine it did make less heat, but they are cooked but it on a stock header so i dont care lol, yes it does work but the black paint makes it look gay, lol thats hwy i didnt paint it, i rather have ceramic coating but i cant afford it lol plus i cant find it to see how much it cost lol

jasongalant
10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
it's a waste of time...heat wrap is only meant for like nascar style race cars...not street cars. i also learned it burns and melts crap all over your headers. dont bother!