PDA

View Full Version : shorter belt (remove ac pully)

Pid
12-17-2002, 06:51 PM
what size belt would you need to by pass the A/C pully? will this effect anything other then cooling the inside of the car and what would the estimated hp gain be?

HeadAche
12-17-2002, 07:37 PM
what size belt would you need to by pass the A/C pully? will this effect anything other then cooling the inside of the car and what would the estimated hp gain be?

i cant remember the size of the belt off the top of my head, but the hp gain from passing the AC belt would be like 2-5hp approx.. its really hard to judge that..

BlueESV6
12-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't the HP gain matter if the A/C was running or not? I would think without the thing running you wouldn't gain any HP by bypassing it....

Auto-9
12-17-2002, 09:10 PM
That's what I thought too...when the AC is off the little pulley thingy retracts and thus no more drain on engine power. Taking it out completely seems a bit drastic...

manybrews
12-17-2002, 10:16 PM
your HP gain?
none. even if you left it attached AND had the car running, as it automatically shuts off the AC under W.O.T conditions.

Pid
12-18-2002, 05:21 PM
i was just wondering because i just did it to my friends mustang and he said it made a big diff. i know the hp is much greater and would change more drasticly in his car. by bypassing the ac pully it let the engine rev more freely because it was one less wheel for it to spin

TJC
12-18-2002, 07:43 PM
True, let mass to spin and use up HP but it's such a small amount to begin with. And I never knew the AC shuts off at WOT conditions. That is definitely funny news to me. :bouncing:

HeadAche
12-18-2002, 08:03 PM
i was just wondering because i just did it to my friends mustang and he said it made a big diff. i know the hp is much greater and would change more drasticly in his car. by bypassing the ac pully it let the engine rev more freely because it was one less wheel for it to spin

I've heard the same thing my boy took out all A/C components on his TSI and he said the hp difference was noticeable i wont do it becasue i live in hot as florida..lol

MnGalant
12-21-2002, 01:41 PM
You do free up horse power only about 3-5 . It works the same way as pulleys they are lighter. When you dont have to use power to run the ac pulley you free up horse power. You dont add horse power u just free up more.

manybrews
12-21-2002, 04:03 PM
You do free up horse power only about 3-5 . It works the same way as pulleys they are lighter. When you dont have to use power to run the ac pulley you free up horse power. You dont add horse power u just free up more.
its does not take 3 to 5 HP to turn a pulley under no load other than its own inertia.