PDA

View Full Version : ECU and my CAI

minnesoshan
10-06-2007, 12:41 AM
I just talked to the guy I bought my 8g from. He said he had a CAI in the car before but the air fuel mixture wasnt right so the car didnt run right. Am I going to have to mess with my ecu if I want to put a CAI in it? do i have to get a tune? Oh he also said he had the car repainted too, I always thought the paint wasnt stock.

Kwikfox
10-06-2007, 12:47 AM
A CIA?... do you mean CAI or Cold Air Intake?

minnesoshan
10-06-2007, 12:50 AM
oops my bad

anticon
10-06-2007, 01:06 AM
theres no reason for a car to run lean on an aftermarket intake alone. the MAFS should adjust if necessary on the small amounts of additional air intake a/m intakes provide.

run1206
10-06-2007, 01:07 AM
:lol: nice one.
not really, some say you gotta flash your ECU by taking off the negative terminal on the battery for about ten minutes, so the ECU "learns" that you have a CAI, though i haven't done it yet, i decided to go to Short Ram instead

anticon
10-06-2007, 01:08 AM
:lol: nice one.
not really, some say you gotta flash your ECU by taking off the negative terminal on the battery for about ten minutes, so the ECU "learns" that you have a CAI, though i haven't done it yet, i decided to go to Short Ram instead
yeah, i have heard of that. i disconnected my battery while i installed my intake anyway

minnesoshan
10-06-2007, 01:18 AM
ok here is a thought if the ecu can adjust, is it possible to do that for a turbo and why not?

so the guy never disconnected the batter and was running the same settings for the stock intake? that would make sense. thankyou

anticon
10-06-2007, 01:30 AM
if you go f/i, you will probably want to get tuned. depending on how much boost you want to push, you may need new injectors, fuel pump, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (for a/f ratio alone)

run1206
10-06-2007, 01:31 AM
ok here is a thought if the ecu can adjust, is it possible to do that for a turbo and why not?

so the guy never disconnected the batter and was running the same settings for the stock intake? that would make sense. thankyou

with a CAI, you're only input a little more air into the Intake Manifold, with a turbo you're forcing much greater amounts of air into the IM. That might be why you have to tune the ECU to adjust to the new airflow to prevent leaning out and starving the turbo.