PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever pull the SRS/Horn

Gilhuly
12-18-2002, 09:02 PM
My horn got stuck after being beeped at a fellow motorist a little too forcefully. I can get it to stop, but it will start beeping randomly and I can't live with that kind of stressso I pulled the fuse. Has anybody been in that part of the car. where is the switch? Under the air bag?

manybrews
12-18-2002, 10:40 PM
this is actually becoming a common failure with the galants.
the horn switch is actually part of the airbag module, requiring the entire assembly to be replaces (as it is on 90 percent of the cars on the road).

if its under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them slap a new airbag in it.

TJC
12-18-2002, 10:56 PM
But if you don't really care about the airbag and your warranty has expired, you can always get an after market wheel. Besides, with the SRS fuse pulled, it probably will not let your airbag to work anyway, lol.

So hows about a nice MOMO or Sparco wheel, hehe. 8)

Auto-9
12-19-2002, 09:32 AM
Heehee...I can imagine it now...stuck behind some buff dude and your horn goes off by itself a few times and you end up with a wrecked face https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
12-20-2002, 12:08 PM
pulling the airbags off your car can get u in trouble, esp with ur insurance company.

if you hate the dealer or if they just wanna charge u too much, just get the wires to the horn off and just rebuild u a new circuit to the horn and put in an auxilliary switch. im guessing that would work as long as this problem doesn't hamper the function of the airbags...

manybrews
12-20-2002, 05:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>pulling the airbags off your car can get u in trouble, esp with ur insurance company. Â*

</div>
not to mention the fact that its really pretty silly to remove the best safety device the world has ever seen (allowing for seatbelts, of course)

Gilhuly
12-21-2002, 10:47 AM
I would never remove the airbag. Can you imagine the newly arrived soul at the golden gate, "what're you in for" reply, "I wanted an aftermarket steering wheel".

Anyway, the horn is on a separate fuse from the SRS. Right now that fuse is out so the net effect is no horn. I think that tapping into that circuit with a new switch might be a reasonable solution as I'm way out of warrantee and there's no f-ing way I'm paying for a new air bag unless I believe it won't work.

I've utilized the airbag in a functional way in the past on a crown vic when I hit a Sedan DeVille head on and walked away. Blew both bags and nearly choked on all the propellant. Inside of the car looked like Cheech & Chong.

Gilhuly
12-21-2002, 01:10 PM
Wahoo!

I'm plantin the flag for the first repaired horn on an 8G maybe anywhere as they won't touch em in the dealership. It turns out that there was an assembly defect on mine. there are two plastic posts that are a molded part of the steering wheel/SRScover that have two little points each that fit into the SRS unit to create a spacer for the horn switch, which is actually a sheet of plastic with some sort of actuator layered inside it that responds to pressure. One of the two double pronged posts wasn't fitted into the receptacles on the SRS unit and over time the post, which was bent, but still maintaining a space bent further and further over with my pounding on the horn during traffic tantrums. I Fitted the post where it belongs, re-assembled the unit and urethra! it was fixed.

Anybody attempting this please don't do it on my advice and if you do make sure the negative battery post is disconnected and you wait a couple minutes any time you are messing around with a connected air bag cylinder.

Supreme
01-08-2003, 05:25 AM
There is actually a recall on the horns so you can actually get it checked and done for free. hopefully!

manybrews
01-08-2003, 07:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supreme)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is actually a recall on the horns so you can actually get it checked and done for free. Â*hopefully!</div>
nope.. no recall on horns for any galant.

TJC
01-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Good going Gilhuly on the fix. I'm sure if you found that out at the dealer that it was a manufacture error, you could have gotten Mitsubishi to pick up the cost. Of course them letting you know that it was the problem and them working with you on it is another issue, lol.

Gilhuly
01-09-2003, 02:15 PM
The Dealer wouldn't have separated the unit to inspect it. They would have simply thrown out the old airbag and installed a new unit.

Fishboy55
01-09-2003, 05:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>The Dealer wouldn't have separated the unit to inspect it. Â*They would have simply thrown out the old airbag and installed a new unit.</div>
which is exactly what they did with mine when I had the same problem. Luckily I was under warranty at the time.

Chip