PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good budget performance tire?

dknight3
10-10-2007, 06:09 PM
hey guys im getting some wheels pretty soon and i've never bought tires before in my life so they are all new to me, i was thinking somthing like, Yokohama Parada Spec-2, Yokohama AVS ES100, kuhmo exsta stp, Riken Raptor ZR, any of these good? the less money the better cause i dont have very much cash.

RedGalant2k1
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
A lot of members compliment the Yokohama Paradas. I personally have BFGoodrich KDW2s. I've used Kumhos, and Goodyears also. My brother had the AVS ES100s, they are nice for the money, but as they wear aren't the quietest.

Also in selling of and testing each different brand I've always found the below brands are BY FAR better than any others out there.

My personal recommendations extend to the following:

BFGoodrich

Goodyear

Michelin

Dunlop

Continental

Pirelli

Toyo

Other budget options that are good bang for the buck include:

Avon

Kumho

Fierce (Kelly Springfield)

Yokohama

Though these last ones (with the exception of Kelly) are generally harder to come by. Thats another reason I would recommend the top seven brands first.

laxinwarrior
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't have any experience with those but I have Fuzion Zri's and they have worked really well so far and were fairly cheap. If that helps.

speedracer
10-10-2007, 06:38 PM
i ran a set of kuhmo spt's loved them they were an amazing tire, and the cost wasn't to bad either, the only thing to watch is they aren't rated for sno....., i have also run the kuhmo ecsta asx w/ is an all season tire and it was still a great tire and it can be ran in the winter too!

dknight3
10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
i think i narrowed it down to these 4

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 $140
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S $162
Kumho Ecsta SPT $122
Yokohama Parada Spec-2 $152

im probably going to get the kuhmo's unless sombody persuades me not to, i just dont have the money right now.

RedGalant2k1
10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Do you have winter tires? or are you keeping your stock wheels?

SLS2000
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I like my Fuzion HRi tires. They were recommended by a manager at a Firestone over the Kuhmo. They are great, they grip like mad and are secure during rain and above all inexpensive.

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/

dknight3
10-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I like my Fuzion HRi tires. They were recommended by a manager at a Firestone over the Kuhmo. They are great, they grip like mad and are secure during rain and above all inexpensive.

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/
they aren't available in 18"

dknight3
10-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Do you have winter tires? or are you keeping your stock wheels?
i'm keeping my stock wheels, but i might be to lazy to switch them when it starts snowing... lol

i don't know i'm a pretty good driver do you really NEED winter tires?
last year i went without them, and my parents never switch tires/wheels.

edit: but then again stock wheels are probably a little better all season tires, than performance tires.

RedGalant2k1
10-10-2007, 08:32 PM
The only tire that is "all season" out of the ones your looking at is the Pirelli. The others I would NOT recommend in winter.

speedracer
10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
yeah if you go w/ the kuhmo's make sure you swap them over the first sign of sno no matter how good of a driver you think you are....

rez887
10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Kumho= Not Good!

Divinity
10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences with Yokohama tires. I say get those if you can. Kumho are good as well, I had those on my other car, if you have negative camber going on, you'll have to rotate them more than normal because they wore kind of quick on me.

injen4g63
10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
DO NOT BUY NEXENS..ok jus had to get that out of the way, but ya ive had good luck with Khumo's ECSTA tire

wyliescott
10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
why whats wrong with nexens?

6G72gearhead
10-11-2007, 12:16 AM
As far as all seasons go, the Pirelli P-zero Nero M+S are the ones I hate the least. Very good durable tire (very hard to puncture) and the grip very well for an all season. Thier only problem is a slight tendancy to tramline. If you dont know what that is, dont worry about it.

As a absolute tire snob, the only two tires I would recommend is the Pirelli or the Avon M550 M+S.

dknight3
10-11-2007, 03:15 AM
As far as all seasons go, the Pirelli P-zero Nero M+S are the ones I hate the least. Very good durable tire (very hard to puncture) and the grip very well for an all season. Thier only problem is a slight tendancy to tramline. If you dont know what that is, dont worry about it.

As a absolute tire snob, the only two tires I would recommend is the Pirelli or the Avon M550 M+S.
pirelli it is, ill see if i can get the money..

i'm just curious, what would you recommend for a summer tire? in the same 150 price range.

6G72Galant
10-11-2007, 04:34 AM
GOOFYEAR GW2's!!!!!! There is a reason why several of the local law enforcement agenices use these tires. :wink:

*Expect to spend $190+ per tire though :?

Fishboy55
10-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Kumho= Not Good!

^^ X2.

I had two sets of Kuhmo Ecstas. They wear fast and are noisy as hell and most importantly they have really bad sidewall construction.

I just got a set of Dunlop SP Sport 8000, all season, Z rated for $91 per tire.

seth98esT
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I got some Khumo Ecsta SPT 225/45/17 for $89/tire back in Feburary. Not a bad tire at all for dailey all around use. There is no noise from my tires and the sidewall looks a bit soft, but its not a race tire, it probably not even considered a high performance tire. I have no complaints on mine.

RedGalant2k1
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM

pirelli it is, ill see if i can get the money..

i'm just curious, what would you recommend for a summer tire? in the same 150 price range.

The Pirelli is great all season.

wittydrewy
10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I have Toyo Proxies. They are good in all weather but here in Georgia it mostly rains no snow or ice. They ride smooth and have good traction.

dknight3
10-20-2007, 02:24 AM
guys... im really tempted to get the kuhmo's... guys... help me...
i can get all 4 for $300 shippedd cmon, i really want to put my rims on !! damnit..

dknight3
10-20-2007, 02:27 AM
or yokohama parada spec 2 for $440... but i'm so short on money.
edit: or continental ContiExtremeContact for 380 shipped, man i still cant decide and i have to buy them today!

DOHCstunr
10-20-2007, 08:10 AM
i have parada spec 2's

they are agreat sumer tire. traction and handling leave little to be desired. they also have a decent ride quality.

Khumo's are generally loud tires. I've never been a fan.

seth98esT
10-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I dont know if I got a rare set of Khumos, but my SPTs are just as quiet as stock tires.

6G72gearhead
10-21-2007, 08:09 PM
When it gets cold my Pirelli's hook better than my Hankooks, but in summer the Hankooks run away with it. I've been using the Pirelli's for 3 years now and I really do like them for an all season passenger tire. (Which is saying alot.)

For your summer only inquiry, Hankook RS-2's are what I run, they are a great tire but they dont last long, I forsee 18k on this set 20-25k is certainly possible. Kumho MX's are another great tire for summer only use.

Da_silvagride
10-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Falken ZE-512 great all season and performance tire. Rated pretty highly by credited magazines.

Discount Tire has em. Very good tires. Stay away from Kumho tires they bubble easily on the side walls.

NAZTY g
10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
falkiens are ok kumho are fine. i have never heard of them bubbling for the money. mich stay away like the plague perilli too dunlop is good too but can be a lil pricy
if you lived closer i could get anything you wanted for cost..

dknight3
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
i bought the kuhmo ecsta stp, i figured it only snows about a week every year, so i shouldn't really need an all season tire, ill just stay home when its icy out.

TJC
10-22-2007, 08:09 PM
No comment for All Season or Winter tires. I've been on Yokohama Prada Spec 2, BFGoodrich KDW2, Kumho Ecsta MX (summer only for me here in So. Cal.). I'd have to say that the BFGoodrich KDW2's are the stickiest tires I have ever been on. But if you're on a budget, the Kumho Ecsta MX's are a great alternative at 2/3 the price; they grip just as good as the BFGoodrich KDW2's but the sidewalls are softer.

RedGalant2k1
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
No comment for All Season or Winter tires. I've been on Yokohama Prada Spec 2, BFGoodrich KDW2, Kumho Ecsta MX (summer only for me here in So. Cal.). I'd have to say that the BFGoodrich KDW2's are the stickiest tires I have ever been on. But if you're on a budget, the Kumho Ecsta MX's are a great alternative at 2/3 the price; they grip just as good as the BFGoodrich KDW2's but the sidewalls are softer.

I concur about the BFG KDW2s. By FAR the nicest tires I've driven on performance wise.

TJC, its good to see you still around!