PDA

View Full Version : New to customizing cars in general

Distort
10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah, so I've been reading threads for about 3 days now, looking at cool tuts and stuff, but Im trying to decide what to do with my 8G. It's a stock 2.4L I4 except for the fact that I have new spark plugs, Bosch Platinum 4's and am getting new wires this week.

I need help on finding things I can do myself to increase WHP for n00bs, such as CAI or RAM-Air Intakes, such as brands and price ranges. I am looking to learn as much as I can about the 8G and hopefully become as knowledgable as some of you guys... Engine and Transmission swaps are out of the question for at least 8-12 months as I finish school, I make decent money to pay for any parts I need, its mostly the time I have to do these kinds of things. I live in the Houston, TX area, and dont know of any custom galants around here :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know you're going to just tell me to search, but I have searched, but I have no idea what I'm looking for, so just pushing me in the general direction of which to go would be awesome.

badmitsu
10-13-2007, 11:11 PM
start by doing all the things you listed lol... but seriously CAI, 5 speed swap, headers, exhaust, start with those and I think you'll be happy... then maybe a turbo!!!!

SLS2000
10-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Be forewarn that Galants are not sport cars they are family sedans. They can be made to look real good and can be made fast but it takes $$$$$. If you are looking for performance for the 4c begin with the suspension. Megan coilovers or teins are getting good reviews here. A good strut bar would help as well (DC bar). These two things will make your car handle way better then stock. Most members will agree that turbo is the only way to really increase performance on the 4cyl.

Good luck

Cold air intakes may make a super minor difference in performance but they do sound good.

Predat-R
10-14-2007, 01:00 AM
look around the site just to get a feel for what u think drives you.whether it be performance or exterior (bodykits) usdm,jdm,or euro.sit down come up a plan what direction u want to go.lots to chooze from and whealth of knowledge so welcme and have fun.

Distort
10-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Be forewarn that Galants are not sport cars they are family sedans. They can be made to look real good and can be made fast but it takes $$$$$. If you are looking for performance for the 4c begin with the suspension. Megan coilovers or teins are getting good reviews here. A good strut bar would help as well (DC bar). These two things will make your car handle way better then stock. Most members will agree that turbo is the only way to really increase performance on the 4cyl.

Good luck

Cold air intakes may make a super minor difference in performance but they do sound good.

I know about the CAI's : D

My dad has one on his V 70R Wagon... with the turbo it sounds so badass... But he's never around, so I have to learn all this shit by myself. Well I've seen stuff like

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59308

and

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59264

and it gives me hope, because I'm not on a really strict timeframe, and I have all the tools and shit to do this myself, with a little assistance. I'm always eager to learn something new, and Im pro with computers, so if someone wanted to help me out with this in return for computer advice, I'm up for it :P

But like I said, I'm not on a strict timeframe, and money usually isnt a problem, unless it's like the 1200 dollar EVO VIII heads I've been seeing... DOHC, is that even close to possible for a noobie like me? It would just take longer to get things like that, so the little things are what I'm looking to upgrade right now. I will look into the suspension you were talking about, and would this be a strut bar by any chance?

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=68[/url]

underated
10-14-2007, 02:00 AM
haha well atleast we know you have good taste those three links above are for 3 of the most modified cars on this site the first one is a supercharged 5speed v6 and the other is a 5speed built 2.4 with an evo head and a huge turbo and the trhir pic of the strut bar is from reelax's car which is a completely customized car i dont wanna go thorugh what he has done cuz i would plobably leave out a bunch of stuff...that strut bar he has you cant get anymore try and search for a dc sport strut bar for the 00-04 eclipse/99-04 galant (looks like this) http://www.modacar.com/products/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/DCSTRUT/DC+Sports+Carbon+Steel+St.html
lol all of those cars have atleast $15k in them and more

since you have a 4cylinder the second link is more up your alley but its going to take alot of research and money on your part to get there

You can do it but i suggest you look through the forced induction section and the performance 8g section and read everything in there for a start

if you come up with specific questions please feel free to ask... but the general whats going to make my car faster questions will probably get you picked on around here

with that being said let the search begin lol

Distort
10-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Alright, so to start, I should work on suspension and CAI. When I upgrade plugs and wires, do I have to upgrade the coilpacks? Or do I just disconnect the battery, and let the engine re-learn what it needs to about the higher electricity for the new plugs?

SLS2000
10-14-2007, 05:17 AM
I remember a thread here about a year ago dealing with wires. The oem wires are hard to beat if you are still stock. Your money again could be better used in the suspension/wheels/tires section. Also on the CAI. Few members have had the CAI suck in water and damage their engine. Something to consider.

:mrgreen:

underated
10-14-2007, 06:15 AM
the stock coil packs and wires are the same ones used on the evo and are good for atleast 30psi on their stock turbo they use the stock ignition for 500whp wires and coil pack will be one of the last things you need to upgrade unless yours are not working correctly

you need to first figure out what you want to do with the car turbo, supercharger, nitrous, N/A, evo swap, 5speed

theres no sense in getting a cai if you going to swap it out later for intercooler piping ect.

i would say suspension you cant go wrong with that... but engine wise its best to set atlease a loose plan so your not wasting money

my $.02 do with it what you please

Distort
10-14-2007, 04:41 PM
the stock coil packs and wires are the same ones used on the evo and are good for atleast 30psi on their stock turbo they use the stock ignition for 500whp wires and coil pack will be one of the last things you need to upgrade unless yours are not working correctly

you need to first figure out what you want to do with the car turbo, supercharger, nitrous, N/A, evo swap, 5speed

theres no sense in getting a cai if you going to swap it out later for intercooler piping ect.

i would say suspension you cant go wrong with that... but engine wise its best to set atlease a loose plan so your not wasting money

my $.02 do with it what you please

Speaking of turbo, I havent seen any threads mention the prep needed for a turbo :?:

So What all needs to be upgraded before moving up to a turbo? I guess brakes and suspension, Intercooler, but what else?

Any internal parts need to be upgraded? Pistons or anything like that? And does anyone know of any places I could get info on DOHC, and what exactly it would do for my car?

injen4g63
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
suspension is a good start but whatever u do, remember that if u pay extremely cheap for a part that it will work extremely cheap and dont ruh things. this stuff takes a lot of time and money, so ya i would say start with coilovers or intake..maybe headers and catback

G-spot
10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I need help on finding things I can do myself to increase WHP for n00bs, such as CAI or RAM-Air Intakes, such as brands and price ranges. I am looking to learn as much as I can about the 8G and hopefully become as knowledgable as some of you guys... Engine and Transmission swaps are out of the question for at least 8-12 months as I finish school, I make decent money to pay for any parts I need, its mostly the time I have to do these kinds of things. I live in the Houston, TX area, and dont know of any custom galants around here :P

I think you should buy a Texas lottery ticket because you hit the jackpot.
But seriously, make the research before jumping into buying them. You're lucky that Houston, Tx is pretty active in TGC stuff (as well as NYC, Chi-town, and Cali) so come to a meet or a G-day. BTW welcome to the boards. :D

n3oAcid24
10-15-2007, 08:47 AM
welcome man...

Trevs56
10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
in order to answer that question for your turbo u have to decide how much power u want first. the galants engine head internals are average strength at best. the valve springs an cam are not the best to run with even a small boost turbo if ur looking to run high boost in upwards of 12-15 lbs psi. if ur looking also to turbo the 4g64 be prepared to spend in excess of at least 5 grand or more since a full turbo kit alone for it runs between 2500-3500$ + add the fact u more than likely will need to upgrade multiple areas to support the new influx of air an internal pressures. dougs dyno power and even some custom makers like BRT (blue ribbon turbo) will tell u its highly reccomended that u upgrage the fuel system, injectors, pump, get a FPR as well as cam an valve springs.

u can however just do some minor upgrades although they wont net u the power forced induction does. go with a CAI, bored out throttle body, better flowing exhaust an a small nitrous shot.

Distort
10-15-2007, 12:37 PM
But seriously, make the research before jumping into buying them. You're lucky that Houston, Tx is pretty active in TGC stuff (as well as NYC, Chi-town, and Cali) so come to a meet or a G-day. BTW welcome to the boards. :D

In which area of Houston do you live? I'm located down by pasadena, and then my father lives up northeast of houston, the cy-fair - jersey village area. I wanna see some quick G's, but I'd be too embarassed to show up at a meet, seeing as how hlaf of my car is cancerous with oxidation in the paint, and I look like a n00b compared to all you other guys...

laxinwarrior
10-15-2007, 03:15 PM
in order to answer that question for your turbo u have to decide how much power u want first. the galants engine head internals are average strength at best. the valve springs an cam are not the best to run with even a small boost turbo if ur looking to run high boost in upwards of 12-15 lbs psi. if ur looking also to turbo the 4g64 be prepared to spend in excess of at least 5 grand or more since a full turbo kit alone for it runs between 2500-3500$ + add the fact u more than likely will need to upgrade multiple areas to support the new influx of air an internal pressures. dougs dyno power and even some custom makers like BRT (blue ribbon turbo) will tell u its highly reccomended that u upgrage the fuel system, injectors, pump, get a FPR as well as cam an valve springs.

u can however just do some minor upgrades although they wont net u the power forced induction does. go with a CAI, bored out throttle body, better flowing exhaust an a small nitrous shot.

No offense but I think you need to do a lot more research before you start giving out info/advice like this because a good amount of the things you just said are pretty inaccurate.

n3oAcid24
10-15-2007, 03:17 PM

No offense but I think you need to do a lot more research before you start giving out info/advice like this because a good amount of the things you just said are pretty inaccurate.

:lol:

G-spot
10-15-2007, 05:36 PM

In which area of Houston do you live? I'm located down by pasadena, and then my father lives up northeast of houston, the cy-fair - jersey village area. I wanna see some quick G's, but I'd be too embarassed to show up at a meet, seeing as how hlaf of my car is cancerous with oxidation in the paint, and I look like a n00b compared to all you other guys...

You seem to be a "go" person so it doesn't matter how your car looks. Yeah, we have a 50/50 component on "All-show" and "All-go" to fit anyone's need. But we're more interested in meeting the owners that's why it's called a meet : to meet other people, so don't feel intimidated. We have a VR-4 6G and an NA rebuilt 8G in the works. I'm in the process of a big project so we are involved in some way every day. Just last weekend, I helped put on a rear brake conversion on Rez887's G. Stuff like that really helps especially when other members are involved. We have 2 meets coming up so browse the "Mid-west Forums" for date and time. BTW I live in Spring.

Distort
10-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Well once I get some parts, I'll hit you up, Spring is only like 50 mintues away from LaPorte, are most of the meets downtown?

DNSerrano
10-16-2007, 12:20 AM

Ha ha ha ha yeah I was thinking the same thing :roll:

G-spot
10-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Well once I get some parts, I'll hit you up, Spring is only like 50 mintues away from LaPorte, are most of the meets downtown?
NW h-town, Humble, Westheimer, Katy, Ellington Field, just to name a few.

solofantasy
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Hay, another houstonian.
Ya, i cant find any proformance shops around here either.
Got pepboys though, that oughta get you ricy.

n3oAcid24
10-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Ha ha ha ha yeah I was thinking the same thing :roll:

im telling you man.... n00bs think they know it all..... :roll:

Distort
10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
NW h-town, Humble, Westheimer, Katy, Ellington Field, just to name a few.

Well I can't even get off until the first and second weekends of November... unless I get lucky and get like a staurday off...