PDA

View Full Version : First SMOG - registratration and CAI (CARB approve) question

BGR
10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Sup all - For those of you that had to get a smog and have a CARB approved CAI, did you find any resistance at the smog place (barring that you had the "hook up" at the smog place) when it came to the certification sticker for the CAI?

I have to do my first smog (I know, it's been 8 years since I bought this G - never had a smog test) and I just have a feeling I'm about to meet up with BS when it comes to the CAI - even though I have a sticker for it.

VegasMatt
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I dont know Rich, I think you will be OK as long as you have the CARB sticker which is a CA thing. You do have the CARB EO #? When you go to smog they should be able to look it up and show that the device is compiant.

Q: What is a C.A.R.B. E.O. number?
A: AEM intake systems carry or are pending approval for a California Air Resources Board Executive Order (CARB EO) number, exempting them from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code (CVC) 27156, which states that you cannot modify your car in the area of the emission control system. The C.A.R.B. E.O. number allows you to legally use the AEM intake system on your car.

QnzMostWanted
10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
yeah my Injen has a C.A.R.B. sticker on it too, i think they made all aftermarket Injen and AEM intakes CARB legal

BGR
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I dont know Rich, I think you will be OK as long as you have the CARB sticker which is a CA thing. You do have the CARB EO #? When you go to smog they should be able to look it up and show that the device is compiant.

Q: What is a C.A.R.B. E.O. number?
A: AEM intake systems carry or are pending approval for a California Air Resources Board Executive Order (CARB EO) number, exempting them from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code (CVC) 27156, which states that you cannot modify your car in the area of the emission control system. The C.A.R.B. E.O. number allows you to legally use the AEM intake system on your car.

Do I have the CARB EO #? Not sure, but the sticker had a bunch of numbers on it - I guess showing exemption? It's not the AEM, but the $78 CAI that was sold on Ebay about 5 years ago.

BGR
10-19-2007, 03:03 PM
yeah my Injen has a C.A.R.B. sticker on it too, i think they made all aftermarket Injen and AEM intakes CARB legal

I was just wondering if anyone had any trouble getting the smog done even though they had the sticker on the CAI. Sometimes those type of places can be pricks just because they can.

About 10 years ago, I passed smog on my Sentra with my old flip airbox mod. The guy was like, "What's this?" And I told him what it was - it was the airbox, but turned upside down so that I could get more air into the engine. Of course, that place has been out of business since then.

Prophet
10-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Sup Rich! Hate to say it bro but with you living right in import hate country (Sac.) you may not pass. The sticker has to be aproved for that car exactly and I don't think any company had ever made a intake specific for the Galant other then Injen and that was a shortram intake. It is 50/50 because if the tech decided to check or knows his shit then you are going to get dinged. Best bet would be go in for a pretest to see if you will pass and see what they say....

RED2KESV6
10-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I have to do my first smog (I know, it's been 8 years since I bought this G - never had a smog test)

How were you able to go 8 years without a smog check? For 2000 model year vehicles, the first smog check was required when renewing the registration for the 5th year of ownership, and I had a second check this year at the beginning of 7th year. Did you just register it as non-operational for a few years, or was it registered in one of the few counties where (I think) a smog check isn't required?

BGR
10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I have to do my first smog (I know, it's been 8 years since I bought this G - never had a smog test)

How were you able to go 8 years without a smog check? For 2000 model year vehicles, the first smog check was required when renewing the registration for the 5th year of ownership, and I had a second check this year at the beginning of 7th year. Did you just register it as non-operational for a few years, or was it registered in one of the few counties where (I think) a smog check isn't required?

I haven't registered it since Nov. 2004. Bought new in Nov 1999. The last sticker I had on it was a yellow 2005. I checked the renewal notice each year since, and I never seen something indicating I needed a smog. My 91 Sentra, it's on the renewal every other year like it should be.

underated
10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
hey Rich i would take it somewhere out in the country like auburn or woodland or yuba city if your really worried thats what i'm going to do with my car as soon as i get it running again... i registered it as non operational so now i have to get it smogged when im done.

those small places arnt really to strict on visual stuff just as long as all your smog equipment works and it passes the roller test

i'm out in lincoln and there are a couple places around here i might check out

BGR
10-20-2007, 01:10 AM
hey Rich i would take it somewhere out in the country like auburn or woodland or yuba city if your really worried thats what i'm going to do with my car as soon as i get it running again... i registered it as non operational so now i have to get it smogged when im done.

those small places arnt really to strict on visual stuff just as long as all your smog equipment works and it passes the roller test

i'm out in lincoln and there are a couple places around here i might check out

Thanks for the heads up. But you know... I'm sitting here thinking about it - what's the worst that could happen? I fail the smog check. I then go back and put my stock airbox on and go back. But like my original post stated - I was just curious to know if anyone (in CA) met with resistance from the smog shop because they had a CAI (and it was CARB approved). But it doesn't sound like anyone did have problems, so I'm worrying over nothing.

It's not like what I have to do on the Sentra - I have to get the Pacesetter headers removed first. It's been about 10 years since I had those put on and I had a shop do that. Idiots - they didn't secure the O2 sensor and the wire was resting right on the manifold and melt - so that has to be replaced, too. I'm so glad that I didn't do extensive mods on the Galant.

QnzMostWanted
10-20-2007, 06:18 AM
well if you still have your stock airbox, why not just put it on so u have no worries, and put ur CAI back on after you pass

BGR
10-21-2007, 05:04 AM
well if you still have your stock airbox, why not just put it on so u have no worries, and put ur CAI back on after you pass

That is an option. I really didn't want to mess with taking that CAI off however, I should replace the rubber connectors as they're old and getting crusty.

You're right, I'll put that stock box back on if I can find it. It's somewhere in a box at my mom's house.

BGR
11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I shouldn't have worried.

I passed. No problems at all with the CAI on!

Feels fuckin' great to be driving again! 12 months without driving behind me now.

seth98esT
11-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Congrats, I know to well how that feels haha!

QnzMostWanted
11-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Congrats Rich, how does she feel?

underated
11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
nice work Rich now you and Jason have your cars up and running i need to get mine back on the road

QnzMostWanted
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
nice work Rich now you and Jason have your cars up and running i need to get mine back on the road

yeah stop slacking B

BGR
11-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Congrats Rich, how does she feel?
Thank you. She's running pretty good - for sitting in my garage for a year. I need to get a tune up next. Man, when I had the rotors put on, I was shocked to see how bad the tires were. I'm in need of an alignment, too. 3 of the 4 tires were worn really bad on the inside. So bad that the wires was showing. I went to a tire store and got three used tires as one of the wheels is a spare (16") and I'm waiting for my replacement 18" ADR to arrive - so no need to buy new tires right now. I'll burn these tires up and then get a new set next month.

The shop that put on the rotors owns a body shop next door. I inquired about putting a kit on the G and getting the entire car painted. The dude was hurting bad for business (slow time of the year) and was saying that he'd cut his normal price in 1/2. We'll see how that goes. I don't have the cash to do that right now and now that this car is running, I'm going to get my other car going, too.

BGR
11-26-2007, 11:33 PM

What's wrong with your car? Did you have Midnight Performance install the turbo? If I ever go turbo with my Sentra, I'm going to have them install it.
http://www.midnightperformance.com/ It's nice to know that a place like that is right around the corner - now that Motorsport Dynamics is closed.

underated
11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
haha naw im doing an engine build but im not done yet.. i went by midnight performance once and they were kind of rude and didnt know much about the galant (expected) but they do good work on other cars, they should be able to help with your sentra. i got lost looking for it tho cuz its not on the main road and there are no signs lol

i do all the work on my car from general stuff to the turbo install to the engine build :D no shop lol labor cost to much

BGR
11-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Hey that's cool if you got the skills. For me, I hate getting dirty. :lol: