PDA

View Full Version : SES light

Messiah
12-20-2002, 03:54 AM
I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for...

Heres my problem....with raining season, I switched my CAI to short ram...reseted my ECU, and about a hundred miles later my SES light came on. I reset again, this time I disconnected the battery overnight. Filled up the car and about 50 miles into it, SES on again. reset ECU again. I have reseted the ECU 5 times already, and everytime the SES comes on, my cars runs really smooth...I mean REALLY smooth, it idles really smooth without shakes, I feel a little more PEP on the freeway. And that's when I know the SES is gonna come on. And also it trip with evey new tank of gas. I use Shell Premium. Checked all my fitting and clamp on my intake, everything is thight.

After I reset the ECU, I let it idle until the engine is completely warm and idles at normal range.

Now ...should I just leave it on to see if eventually the ECU will learn and shut off or should I keep reseting.

I'm thinking it's runing lean, cuz I don't smell anything foul out of the exhaust.

The SES never tripped when my intake was in a CAI config.
Stock exhaust except for a Magnaflow Street Series muffler, no other engine mod.

I think I got everything covered.

BGR
12-20-2002, 04:08 AM
Hard to say Nick. I had the same problems before but when I left the battery cable unplugged over night, it cleared the problem. Being in the same city as you, I've kept my CAI on. I've had no issues yet during these recent storms. If the light comes on and something really is messed up, you'll know because the car will want to stall out. When it first happened to me, I thought I wasn't firing on all cylinders or someone stuck a banana in my tailpipe.

On my Sentra the check engine light comes on and goes off. I don't even trip on it anymore.

Messiah
12-20-2002, 04:15 AM
I guess I'll leave it on for a week and see if it turns off, if not after this storm I'll switch back to a CAI.

But I can't imagine the Ram config is letting more air in then the CAI config.

BGR
12-20-2002, 04:18 AM
It could be as simple as your Galant is not used to the 'warm' engine air that it's now sucking in as opposed to the cooler air when you had it set to CAI.

Auto-9
12-20-2002, 08:59 AM
The always free Autozone scan might help you out.

pinoyesv6
12-20-2002, 11:40 AM
check out the MAS. make sure that there isn't any kind of debris or anything of that sort of nature to clog it up

Sarah
12-20-2002, 04:06 PM
In Todd's firebird the check engine light comes on randomly all the time, the car actually runs better when the light is on.

manybrews
12-20-2002, 05:14 PM
if the lights coming on, theres a problem. it will not "learn to run that way", or anything like that.

find out what code you have. probably something to do with the airflow meter/barometer/intake air temp sensor (which is all built into the MAS).

its a mistake to disable ANY of those sensors. they all impact the fuel ratio in a huge way.

Messiah
12-20-2002, 05:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>check out the MAS. make sure that there isn't any kind of debris or anything of that sort of nature to clog it up</div>

Checked the MAS...all clean, no debris.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>The always free Autozone scan might help you out</div>

guess I'll have them check it out, see what they have to say.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maynbrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>if the lights coming on, theres a problem. it will not "learn to run that way", or anything like that. Â*

find out what code you have. probably something to do with the airflow meter/barometer/intake air temp sensor (which is all built into the MAS). Â*

its a mistake to disable ANY of those sensors. they all impact the fuel ratio in a huge way.</div>

I never had any intention of disabling any sensors...perhaps BGR right, maybe switching from CAI to short ram is affecting the temp sensor in some way.

Messiah
12-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Yesterday, I was headed toward Autozone for a scan, and guess what...the SES light went off before I pulled out of my apartment lot. So, i guess it's OK now :roll: :roll:

manybrews
12-22-2002, 05:03 PM
Yesterday, I was headed toward Autozone for a scan, and guess what...the SES light went off before I pulled out of my apartment lot. So, i guess it's OK now :roll: :roll:
there is still a code present in the system. the lights have the capability of shutting off, but the problem was still recorded.

Messiah
12-22-2002, 05:08 PM
there is still a code present in the system. the lights have the capability of shutting off, but the problem was still recorded.

OH OK...I'll be heading back towards Autozone then.

Messiah
12-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Autozone no longer offer free scans :redface: the guy I talked to, said it was at all the Autozones in CA. And the one that I went to no longer offers that service period. Grrr...

DJ Galant
12-27-2002, 02:59 AM
get a pcoketlogger tehn, great tuning thing plus reads and clears all diagnostic errors...awesome tool...worthed every penny u pay for it...only$175 bucks...

99DE
01-12-2003, 11:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hard to say Nick. Â*I had the same problems before but when I left the battery cable unplugged over night, it cleared the problem. Â*Being in the same city as you, I've kept my CAI on. Â*I've had no issues yet during these recent storms. Â*If the light comes on and something really is messed up, you'll know because the car will want to stall out. Â*When it first happened to me, I thought I wasn't firing on all cylinders or someone stuck a banana in my tailpipe.

On my Sentra the check engine light comes on and goes off. Â*I don't even trip on it anymore.</div>

I have to say, that the overnight trick helped me twice. I forgot the thank BGR the first time, but Thank You this time. Because I have a new throttle body and WAI the idle was bad in the beginning. I eliminated the problem by backing in the MAS screw all the way and the overnight trick. I this time got cocky and tried to mess with the MAS screw again a little bit to get more air, and the SES light popped and my idle was a little off. Well, for some reason the disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or 1 hour doesn't work. But, the next morning deal, it is such a relief, it idles like a kitten now. Try this as last resort.

BGR
01-12-2003, 11:30 AM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.