PDA

View Full Version : Audio and Alternator Question's

albertomag81
10-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I have a 2000 galant, and Ive been planning on installing a some new speakers and subwoofer into my car for some time now but im worried my alternator wont be able to withstand the new audio system. I have one 10" infinity subwoofer which will have a Orion HP-2800 (400 Watts RMS) amp. And i have infinity 6x9's and 6.5's, originally i wanted to amp each of these at 100 watt RMS, but im worried that might bee too much for my stock galant alternator to handle (800 watts RMS). Will this damage my alternator?

I also thought of another option of doing the sub at 400 watts, and say another amp for the 6x9's and 6.5's at 4x50 (200 watts RMS), for a total of 600 Watt RMS, would that be a better idea?

I appreciate any advice or experiences you can pass along to me. I'm glad I found a forum where i can get info from other galant owners.

Cheekz185
10-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Well our alternators are rated at 90amps. And I think at idle they are rated at 30A. But honestly to me it doesn't sound like you have anything crazy going on with u setup that will destroy your alternator. I had a 1100W Memphis belle amp pushing to 12" Kicker L7's, an Alpine V-12 pushing my tweeters and I also had my car pc in there. But i also had a Capacitor that I thought helped out. BUT using a capacitor is an ongoing debate whether it helps or not. But honestly I'm sure you will be fine with that setup on your stock battery. But if you are really worried i have a BRAND NEW 180A Dominick Iraggi Alternator that I never even installed.