PDA

View Full Version : need help: s7 install gone very bad

codeamatic
10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
i was attempting to install my s7 gauges...unfortunately none of the stores around me carries the tap-in squeezers...so i chose to be old fashion and just splice the cables...the splicing went very wrong...and i think im going to either have to take it to mitsubishi or find a new dimmer switch cable...anyone know where i can purchase the dimmer switch cable...(online, junkyard,etc.)

my car was fine last night, now the battery is being drained...i believe i've blown a fuse somewhere because the gauges won't light up..nor will any of the dimmer controlled lights...

damn, i need help bad...

polishmafia
10-30-2007, 10:32 AM
what exactly do you mean by the splicing went very wrong? you need to be more descriptive

remarque
10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
You may have crossed the wires on the dimmer switch and messed something up. Just check your fuses to make sure, dont worry it prolly something simple we've all messed up our G at one point and time.

pinoyesv6
10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
the battery can't drain and you blow a fuse at the same time. unless you messed with wires other than the two wires you had to mess with.

check your fuses. there are diagrams on the fuse box covers and in the owners manual.

check your connections. make sure you spliced correctly. those squeeze in connectors are inferior to a good splice.

make sure you put everything back the way it came. if you leave the dimmer switch unplugged, shit won't work.

codeamatic
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
more descriptive...

everything was going good until i needed to do the wiring. I spliced the wires...connected them as the tutorial said...used electrical tape on the splices (none of the stores around me carried the squeeze ins or anything else for that matter)...

plugged the dimmer switch back in and everything worked fine... (the car is running at this point)...i moved the el dimmer buttons around a little to get a feel for the best location of it...and the next thing i know...the gauges went black (but the digital mileage indicator stayed lit) as well as the lights next to my shifter. so i look up and i see that the tape on my splices have fallen off and all the wires are now touching...

so, i ran to my friends who happen to have some splice connects (the kind you have to crimp)...well i crimped the necessary wires together...plugged back in the dimmer and gauges are still black...as well as shifter lights...by this time its dark so i said i would deal with it tomorrow...left the dimmer plug unplugged, unplugged the gauge connectors and took the whole cluster into my house...

come out this morning and my car won't even turn over...so i give it a jump...starts up instantly...my cd player is working and everything...went to defrost my windows...turned the knob to heat...than went to turn the fan on...as soon as i turned the fan on...my cd player went black...so i checked my windows...they went down very slow and went up even slower...(at this point i know that if i turn the car off, its not going to start back up)

the fan is only blowing out cold air....when i hit the rear defroster buttons something starts beeping...ding ding ding ding...etc...so i turn it off and the beeping stops...i decide to turn off the car...behold it doesn't start back up...

im thinking that there is a grounding wire problem that is causing the battery to drain...so i remove the crimped connectors...when i removed it...it messed up one of the splices on the dimmer switch cable....i feel like one end of the black wire is to close to the actual plugin piece for me to splice now...

Fishboy55
10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Step away from the car, and put down the tools before you hurt yourself.

You've blown at least two fuses and possibly more. There's way to many issues to discuss how that might have happened (i.e., "the electrical tape fell off"). Like Allen said, put everything back the way you had it. I would eliminate the Scotch connectors, as they are shit.
I'd suggest you solder the wires together, but if you can't operate a roll of electrical tape, that might not be a good suggestion.
Mitsubishi is going to charge you out the ass to fix the problem. Start by restoring the wiring back to normal without the S7 gauges. Then check every fuse, both under the hood and the cabin. Once you find the blown ones, replace them. Once you get that done sell the S7 gauges, or find someone to install them for you.

codeamatic
10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
selling them is the last thing i'll do...i'll start with asking mitsubishi to restore the wiring back to normal...this should fix the battery related issues...afterwards i will do as you suggested and check every fuse and replace the ones that are needed...

i'll end up having to order the tap-in squeezes online....and starting from scratch....

hypothetically speaking, if mitsubishi says that it will cost me $500 to restore the wires is it something that i could have someone else do if i purchased the necessary wires....

D8
10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
bummer bro :( I had no problems with my S7 install.....hate to see this happen to you cause the S7's are sexy. Wish I could give you advice, I just followed the tutorial.

D8
10-30-2007, 05:32 PM
I take that back, the only problem I had was my seatbelt light doesn't light up anymore....which doesn't bother me one bit. :D

injen4g63
10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2654000-2654999/2654607_22_full.jpg well heres wat u have to look foward to, but i dont see how ur car could have gotten this screwed up ober these things. they are fairly simple

SLS2000
10-31-2007, 12:12 AM
yeah.

Deconstruct your mess. Take it back to the way it was from the beginning and then check the fuses one by one.

Good luck!

fatal1
10-31-2007, 12:26 AM
dude how the hell did you mess up this install like that? its pretty basic....i would reconnect all the wires to thier original locations....trying to remember of hand and im not possitive on the colors but i believe you have to go to the white wire, maybee green for power, i never grounded mine to the wire when i did it i just went to one of the bolts behind the cluster and grounded it off there...

as far as the raio fuse its the 10amp fuse under the hood one of the 2 in the yellow surround (if this is blown your electronic door locks and dome lights wont work either) and the one for the interior bulbs and rear passenger running light is on the driver side fuse box one of the 7.5 fuses not possitive on which one, but make sure you recconect everything first before you start going crazy over the fuse boxes then check the appropriate ones to see which is blown....i know on occasion the one 10a in the yellow surround just bends but is not fully blown and if using a test liht ay not come up as so... there is only 2 in the yellow surround so just replace them both reguardless, the 7.5 should show as blown and only replace it with another 7.5, those crimp things are garbage too i wouldnt use them in the future a good splice as said is the best way to go especially with a nice soder (although not alays neccisary) is the tip of the iceburg and considering you completely fuckd up this install which is pretty basic i would suggest you go to a professional for your future wiring needs or read up on electric etc before you attemp anothr wirieing mod

codeamatic
10-31-2007, 02:51 AM
geez people...no need to be so harsh...the gauges dont light up because a fuse is blown...the wiring isn't that messed up...the grounding wire is separated so the battery wont keep power...which is the reason my cd player is blacked out.....

like i said above...there are no places [within an hour] that sell the tap-in squeezes...thanks for the support fatal...

D8
10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2654000-2654999/2654607_22_full.jpg well heres wat u have to look foward to, but i dont see how ur car could have gotten this screwed up ober these things. they are fairly simple

here's mine 8) before the inverter upgrade.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/sevens_1974/cluster1.jpg

codeamatic
10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
okay, i have my gauges in...they look great...thanks everybody for your help...

can someone please post a picture of the s7 gauges during the daylight. My speedometer looks perfect inside the bezel, but there seems to be a small amount of space between the top right of the rpm reader and the bezel...

mrjaydeeone
10-31-2007, 09:38 PM
here's a pic of mine in the daylight
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/169000-169999/169999_40_full.jpg

GoldGalant [Reborn]
11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
I have mine in the box it came in, I'm waiting for the Nov 18 meet to have soemone help me with it. I suggest you find someone to help you out.