PDA

View Full Version : New with galant transmission problem

zfshrmn
12-21-2002, 08:46 AM
i have a question a friend of my gave me a 95 galant cause the transmission is bad .

here is what happen he replaced the one tha he had cause it was bad for anohter used one the car ran good for a couple of day now it won't go into any gear you can move the shift up and down and still don't get any gear.

any help? thank you. :?:

manybrews
12-21-2002, 09:05 AM
is the fluid level correct? you can ONLY check it with the vehicle warm, in nuetral. checking it ANY other way will give you an incorrect reading.

zfshrmn
12-21-2002, 05:17 PM
yes it was fine.

95galant-s
12-21-2002, 05:35 PM
that happened to me. mine is going into the shop next week. i got a variety of answers from mechanics. some said i needed a rebuild, some said i stripped the torque converter splines and one guy said the automatic g's sometimes just have some computer problem that prevents the car from going into gear. im not sure what exactly what the problem is but ill tell you once they look at my car.

manybrews
12-21-2002, 05:49 PM
a common list of failures with that particular transaxle are
1)end clutch failure. this does not require a total overhaul, or even trans removal. the symptoms are a loss of 4th gear (overdrive).
2)stripped torque converter splines. symptons are generall no movement in any gear, and it happens suddenly. no "kinda slipping" or "occasional problems".. youll just come out try to drive, and there will be nothing. This requires trans removal, but NOT an overhaul. The torque converter would need to be rebuilt, usually for under 300 bucks (not including the labor to remove and reinstall the trans).
3)planetary gearset failure. symptoms include no reverse, slipping in most gears, noise, burnt trans fluid. The fix is a total overhaul and / or replacement.
4)burning of clutches, generally due to a lack of fluid. symptoms include slipping, soft shifts, noise, etc. the fix is an overhaul.

BEAST
12-21-2002, 07:22 PM
I got mine rebuilt about 6 months ago now sometimes when I am going off the line, usually when I have it floored or the petal pushed almost all the way, it feels like my first gear is slipping, a lot. If I let off the gas then press it gently again it seems to lock in but if I just hold the gas it take a second or two, sometimes longer, to engage. Any ideas?

IllestGalant
12-24-2002, 04:10 PM
If you have a slip and a loss of all gears than your problem is more then your end clutch (overdrive)
A common cause of loss of all gears is the front pump. You should check line pressures. you would have to drop the tranny, but it is the first thing you see when you take off the converter/flywheel.