skyhigh90210
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Noise and emissions..

duh2150
11-05-2007, 11:50 PM
plus it sounds like crap lol

badmitsu
11-06-2007, 07:46 AM
doesn't hurt anything, it is illegal in most states tho.

I like the hp gain I got from it and i really love the sound! (v6)

Trevs56
11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
youll fail inspection instantly an if a cop sees u with no muffler on it in most states ur looking at a hefty fine. unless ur shooting water vapor out the back of the car, which ur not, exhausts are not environmentaly friendly.

pinoyesv6
11-06-2007, 01:16 PM
i wouldn't remove the muffler. i mean unless you had like a custom exhaust where you have like a buncha resonators to compensate for the lack of a muffler.

but yea, if you are just gonna remove the muffler, at least weld on a pipe to replace the muffler. i drove like a half hour without my muffler, it broke off and boy was i getting dizzy.

galantino_es
11-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Pinoyesv6 How come ? u got dizzy ? and please guys be more specific because .. I really Wanna do this.. and yall opinions Help me to decide

Koncept
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
He probably got dizzy from the toxic exhaust fumes not being properly routed away from the car. You shouldn't run without a muffler. If you have a 4cyl it's not going to help anything at all, and it will just sound like shit. I can't say the same for the V6, but damn...at least do it right and get a professional muffler or exhaust system.

6G72gearhead
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
You idiots saying its illegal for emissions really need to learn how the exhaust system works. If he's unbolting the muffler it depends on the state he lives in, but if its within noise compliance he's fine.

Pinoy makes a good point in that its not good to drive around like that without at least having a window cracked. Thats the biggest reason exhaust systems came to be was to route the fumes out the back.

I had my catback unbolted for about a year, its cool at first but it then gets irritating as it makes everything on the car rattle. Doing it for a day or two is fine, but the exhaust system is there for a reason.

pinoyesv6
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
yep. the fumes got to me. especially when i decided to go WOT and see how loud my car could get.

galantino_es
11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
thanx guys 4 the advice.... I might get a muffler them which I should go by ....??

pinoyesv6
11-07-2007, 12:00 AM
picking out a muffler is similar to picking out wheels.

some people like loud mufflers
some like quiet mufflers

some people like round canisters
others oval canister

some like big tips
some like them small
some like dual tips

n3oAcid24
11-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I took out my muffler Is that bad, illegal ??? let me knoww

it really depends on what state you're in. when seth came to IL for MOD 07', he didnt have a muffler. i guess there is no emissions in Iowa but here in Illinois we do so we cant do that. it will sound like crap though.

pinoyesv6
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
the mufffler does nothing for emissions. the cat is the exhaust part that handles the emissions.

the muffler is for sound compliance. many jurisdictions have them.

thats why people who have perfectly fine mufflers can still fail emmissions testing. if mufflers were there for emissions, you'd get a check engine light when you removed it.

n3oAcid24
11-07-2007, 09:36 AM
the mufffler does nothing for emissions. the cat is the exhaust part that handles the emissions.

thats why people who have perfectly fine mufflers can still fail emmissions testing. if mufflers were there for emissions, you'd get a check engine light when you removed it.

if you go to an emissions test and they dont see a muffler, they will fail you every time...

pinoyesv6
11-07-2007, 10:18 AM

if you go to an emissions test and they dont see a muffler, they will fail you every time...

thats a visual inspection that they put with the emmissions testing. i bet if you were to get an emissions test and you have no headlights or taillights they'd fail you too.

dronesurfboards
11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
get a quiet muffler...everyone here seems to go with a zigen style muffler but those suckers are loud...hands down...greddy sp exhaust. its quiet and works well with 60mm piping. no point in getting a loud muffler if youre pulling 18's in a galant.

6G72gearhead
11-07-2007, 11:41 PM

thats a visual inspection that they put with the emmissions testing. i bet if you were to get an emissions test and you have no headlights or taillights they'd fail you too.
In some states if any part of the exhaust system is modded at all you will automatically fail, without them testing.

They dont do that in my state thank god.

fatal1
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
the sp2 is a really nice muffler i agree it will give you a nice sound, also have the greddy evo 2 catback and it sounds great, louder then the sp2 but not by much, its pretty quiet while just cruising, and when yu want it heard it will fulfill that too