PDA

View Full Version : Good turbo kit?

Distort
11-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm not great with turbo specs, is this a decent one? Or should I just get everything piece by piece?

Edit: It would help if I put in a link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSUBISHI-GALANT-4G64-MOTOR-T3-TURBO-CHARGER-KIT-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQihZ002QQitem Z120180489744QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

galant3jl12's
11-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Ya I've seen this b4 a bunch its not a complete turbo system. It's missing some shit the first noticable thing would be some kind of fuel system setup and some other stuff I'm sure someone will point out the other flaws.

laxinwarrior
11-08-2007, 03:30 PM
First off it's on ebay and thats a big no-no if you think it's actually going to be of any decent quality. Second i'm going to assume you don't know all that much about turbos( don't take this the wrong way because they can be really confusing and i'm not really an expert on them either) because that turbo would be fairly undersized for the 2.4 you have underhood. My best advice would be to forget about buying a "kit" and make a list of everything you need so you can piece together your own setup. In the long run that will more than likely end up saving you money as well as helping you understand every system of the car that is affected by going with forced induction.

From my experience I got mostly all OEM parts and ran into very few complications during the install because I made sure i knew what I needed to replace/modify ahead of time and had those parts already waiting to be installed. Patience is a virtue grasshopper :twisted:

Distort
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Exactly, I understand completely. What would be a good sized turbo, and whats the best way to choose?

kolio
11-08-2007, 04:46 PM
14b

WarmAndSCSI
11-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Exactly, I understand completely. What would be a good sized turbo, and whats the best way to choose?

Okay, I just defended a noob the other day for asking a question that could be answered with some diligent searching... however, ENTIRE BOOKS have been written on this topic. Go search around Club3G to see what 4G64 guys are running. There's no "be all end all" turbo for this platform - you have to do the trial and error yourself. If you're serious about turboing your car yourself, do NOT rely on or expect handouts around every corner.

Distort
11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't expect handouts, it's a question... If you dont want to answer it, then dont.

WarmAndSCSI
11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't expect handouts, it's a question... If you dont want to answer it, then dont.

I did answer your question.

edit: just in case you didn't catch my point, it was for you to go out and find out by learning what makes a "good" turbo for a particular application. You can physically make most turbos work, but it's up to you to decide the internals.

G-spot
11-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I could sworn there was another post on this by the same OP :?

WarmAndSCSI
11-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Yeah, he created a thread about wanting to install his intercooler before his turbo. Some of you Houston guys need to go help him out. :)

Proper forced induction is a lot of work - I've spent over 10 grand just getting my setup right. And that's just for PARTS. Doing the work yourself is just so satisfying, though.

G-spot
11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
A DIY turbo setup is a rewarding feat by itself. There are people out there who THINK they can install turbo in their garage when in reality don't have means nor the confidence in getting one prepped. I helped my uncle build my cousin's 92 Civic (turbo) hatch. That's a lot of work and my uncle is a certified ASE master tech. Try having a noob build that. Ewwwww :?

laxinwarrior
11-08-2007, 07:55 PM

Yeah, he created a thread about wanting to install his intercooler before his turbo. Some of you Houston guys need to go help him out. :)

Proper forced induction is a lot of work - I've spent over 10 grand just getting my setup right. And that's just for PARTS. Doing the work yourself is just so satisfying, though.

I'm at 3 grand and still counting, again that's just for parts. The install took me the better part of a week in my garage. Of course I had all of the necessary tools and quite a few people to help out but it was not an overly easy task by any means.