PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body adjustment-HELP!!

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 12:37 PM
i just got finished doing the TBA. for starters, my car idled at 500 rpm's before. thing is i remember seeing this that was posted in another topic

manybrews wrote:

the idle is totally automatic. if its not idling at 750 +-, its ROYALLY screwed up.

a little tip.. there is NOTHING that needs adjustment on the throttle, ever..
if you messed with it, youve probably screwed it up.
if its idling wrong without being adjusted, something has failed.

and just increasing the idle will NOT make it run rich, as the fuel system will easily compensate for that. so something else is screwed up.

so my first question, is how true is it that if you dont idle at 750 +/-, that the car is messed up

second, is when i intially adjusted the TB (extended all the way), it immediately shot up to like 4500rpm's. dont know about you, but i dont want my car idling at 4500 rpm. anyway, i start to mess around with the adjustments until it would stay at a steady idle of 1500rpm. wheni threw it in gear, it would bump down to about 900rpm. i figured that was good enough for me. i tighten everything back down, and go for a test run. i must say that the response from the line seems to be better...feels good. the problem that i am running into is when i go to stop. at every stop, the car seems to skip so to speak, like hesitates as the rpms fall back down. it happens right as the car stops. what the deal with this. did this adjustment require me to disconnect the battery before doing it? if so, will disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU fix this. Please help

peanotation
12-21-2002, 12:54 PM
first thing, the battery doesn't make a difference. second thing, manybrews is half right. you car should idle IN PARK at 750 RPM, plus or minus 100RPM. but you have to adjust your throttle. idling at 1.5K RPM isn't too good, since you should be at around 750. what you have to do, is turn the little screw that touches the throttle and alows it to open and close. you need to turn the screw counter clockwise so the throttle closes all the way. then turn the screw back (clockwise) so the throttle opens. turn it SLOWLY. the second you see the throttle start to open, stop. then, turn the screw another revolution, then 1/4 of a revolution. so basically turn it 1 and 1/4 more revolutions. this will get your car right on at 850, which is perfect for me. all the skipping you're feeling is you car trying to slightly disengage the auto clutch while it's at 1.5K rpm. idling at 1.5K rpm isn't too good, and it's better to idle at a lower speed than a higher. my car got so bad one time it was at 200rpm, it ran fine, just lest responsive.

there's nothing wrong with the car, just hte cable got stretched a little bit. it happens to everyone. something u should do for a drastic performance increase, is TIGHTEN the throttle cable. i'm not talking about adjusting the valve opening. somone wrote a post on it, you can search for it, i did it just the other day, and it responds like a fucking mercedes. it wont increase your acceleration by all that much, but it drastically improves response.

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 12:59 PM
there's nothing wrong with the car, just hte cable got stretched a little bit. it happens to everyone. something u should do for a drastic performance increase, is TIGHTEN the throttle cable. i'm not talking about adjusting the valve opening. somone wrote a post on it, you can search for it, i did it just the other day, and it responds like a fucking mercedes. it wont increase your acceleration by all that much, but it drastically improves response.

thats what im talking about. thats the mod i did

http://theonechameleon.tripod.com/tipsandtricks.htm#tb ('http://theonechameleon.tripod.com/tipsandtricks.htm#tb')

http://theonechameleon.tripod.com/images/short_ram_conversion_showing_the_mod.jpg

this is the adjustment that has my car reving at 1550 at idle. and since doing the mod, its also what has my car feeling like it wants to die when i stop

Gilhuly
12-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Do the mod with the car running. Be careful about hair or clothing hanging down! Just play with the cable until you get it right to the point where any further will increase RPMS. 1500 is no good. You'll burn up the clutches in your tranny over time.

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Do the mod with the car running. Be careful about hair or clothing hanging down! Just play with the cable until you get it right to the point where any further will increase RPMS. 1500 is no good. You'll burn up the clutches in your tranny over time.

i did do it with the car on. and if this is going to burn the clutches in the tranny, then theres no point in doing it then, cause as soon as i adjust it, i hear the rpms increase

you know what, im just going to set it back to the factory setting until i get more info on this. im going on road trip, and i would hate for my car to break down

can anybody HBO!!

manybrews
12-21-2002, 04:12 PM
. what you have to do, is turn the little screw that touches the throttle and alows it to open and close. you need to turn the screw counter clockwise so the throttle closes all the way. then turn the screw back (clockwise) so the throttle opens. turn it SLOWLY. the second you see the throttle start to open, stop. then, turn the screw another revolution, then 1/4 of a revolution. so basically turn it 1 and 1/4 more revolutions. this will get your car right on at 850, which is perfect for me. all the skipping you're feeling is you car trying to slightly disengage the auto clutch while it's at 1.5K rpm. idling at 1.5K rpm isn't too good, and it's better to idle at a lower speed than a higher. my car got so bad one time it was at 200rpm, it ran fine, just lest responsive.

NOOOOOO!!
dont EVER touch the throttle stop screw! its not meant to be adjusted in any way! its DEFINATLY not for idle adjustment. its only there to prevent the throttle plate from getting stuck in its bore, period. its adjusted at the mikuni factory to absolute precision, and moving it can (but not always) cause idle problems.
the IAS screw on top of the throttle body is used for a preliminary adjusment, but thats it.
heres a really simple way of adjusting your idle. first, make sure the throttle body is clean. second, unhook the battery for 30 seconds. third, fully seat the IAS screw located in a recessed port on the top of the throttle body. after its fully seated, unscrew it about a turn to a turn and a half.
thats it. if it does not idle correctly now, something is screwed up. trust me. after fixing hundreds of mitsus with idling problems, this is a fullproof and simple way to make sure the car idles correctly.

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 04:19 PM
so am i messing anything up by making this adjustment

http://theonechameleon.tripod.com/images/short_ram_conversion_showing_the_mod.jpg

manybrews
12-21-2002, 05:44 PM
so am i messing anything up by making this adjustment

what adjustment?? tightening the throttle cable? no, you dont screw anything up unless you overtighten it to the point of putting tension on it even at rest.
the factory spec for the throttle cable tension is 8 mm of deflection in it when no tension is applied. you can tighten it as tight as you like, provided it still has SOME slack after its tighened.

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 06:16 PM
what i did was loosen those two bolts, and as you lok at it from the passenger side, i slid it toward me. as i slid it toward me it started to idle at a higher rpm. when it got to 1500rpm, i stopped, tightened the bolts back down, and that was it. my thing is that im starting to hear all this stuff about how the car should not idle at more than 750, so its like even though this adjustment gives you a quicker response off the line, it also increase the rpms at idle, which is apparently bad for the car when you look at the overall picture.

i just need to know how this small adjust will affect the car in the future if i leave it the way it is

manybrews
12-21-2002, 08:41 PM
see, im not sure why anyone would overtighten the throttle cable. it provides nothing at all. all your doing by overtightening the cable is preventing the car from running correctly. when you overtighten the cable, it gives the exact same result as keeping your foot on the gas slightly the entire time the car is idling!
it is NOT going to give the car quicker response. you may as well just keep a brick on the gas if you want to do that.

it will do nothing to increase performance at all.

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 08:47 PM
see, im not sure why anyone would overtighten the throttle cable. it provides nothing at all. all your doing by overtightening the cable is preventing the car from running correctly. when you overtighten the cable, it gives the exact same result as keeping your foot on the gas slightly the entire time the car is idling!
it is NOT going to give the car quicker response. you may as well just keep a brick on the gas if you want to do that.

THANK YOU! now what about the hesitation i was feeling when i first made the adjustment

Tiptronic
12-21-2002, 09:24 PM
the wierdest thing just happened. i went out to the car to load some bags for my trip, and the car is surprisingly idling at 500rpm's again. i made the adjustment for 1500rpm's, and made sure that the bolts were tightened good. how has it gone back to 500rpm's by itself

Prophet
12-21-2002, 10:23 PM
I did the same mod myself about a month ago. I did it when the car was not on and tightened it all the way. I do not idle all the way to 1,500 but just a little under 1,000. I do notice some skipping like when I am stopped but that is just the car wanting to take off. I press a little harder on the brake https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif . When I did the mod the first time and when I started the car it did a weired up in RPM and then down a couple of times but then the car corrected itself. What I did notice is the car sucked up alot of gas. I was going about 260 a tank but then went to 200 and know I have average 240 to 220 depending on how I am driving.

I did notice a better reaction time. I know this mod has been here for awile can we get someone who has done this done for a long time tell us if there is any drawbacks to this mod.

Jason

toc8g
12-22-2002, 03:36 AM
NOOOOOO!!
dont EVER touch the throttle stop screw!
I totally agree, you do not need to touch that screw been their done that. bottom line is I agree with this statement do not touch and with the rest of the statement as well.

what adjustment?? tightening the throttle cable? no, you dont screw anything up unless you overtighten it to the point of putting tension on it even at rest.
the factory spec for the throttle cable tension is 8 mm of deflection in it when no tension is applied. you can tighten it as tight as you like, provided it still has SOME slack after its tighened.

I totally agree!

agree!

Slightly agree,....slightly,...when you have the throttle body tightend to much it defeats the purpose and besides the cars response will be no good at a high idle. As far as the response Manybrews should know as well as I do the the slack on the throttle body cable tends to increase over time. I mean compared to the amount of slack on my 2002 compared to my 200 is way different. I tightend my 2000 almost all the way with almost no change in rpm and as far as my 2002 it barley had to be changed. I never tighten to bring the rpm's higher but just enough to take the slack off. I am not saying its creating after market torque converter pull by no means but what I am saying is that it takes a little lag off the the take off, and every little bit counts.

Ok bottom line is do not over tighten, you should not tighten to a higher rpm. You should only tighten to pull the extra slack out. Do not mess witht the rpm screw. As long as the slack is out you should be fine.

manybrews
12-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Ok bottom line is do not over tighten, you should not tighten to a higher rpm. You should only tighten to pull the extra slack out. Do not mess witht the rpm screw. As long as the slack is out you should be fine.
yes, that is correct. taking out the excess SLACK ONLY could theoretically increase performance, as if there is too much slack there is the chance that the throttle will not open 100 percent.
incidently, anyone running thick floormats, or mutliple floormats will have the same problem. ive seen floormats so thick that they would only allow the throttle to open 70 percent of the way!

adjusting the cable to remove the slack = good.
adjusting the cable to physically open the throttle = bad.

if you people actually feel there is increased throttle repsonse when you force the throttle open, i can only say this..... loading the torque conveter from a stop CAN increase your initial blast off the line. BUT... going from 750 to 1000 RPMs is doint nothing. You must do it like a drag racer. Hold your foot hard on the brake, and pound the gas to the floor. THIS is the way to get massive torque multiplication, altough its certainly not recommended for longevity of the drivetrain.

toc8g
12-22-2002, 02:05 PM
incidently, anyone running thick floormats, or mutliple floormats will have the same problem. ive seen floormats so thick that they would only allow the throttle to open 70 percent of the way!

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif That is so damn true!!!! My wife had this weird way of driving she would have her foot this certain way and push the carpet under the pedal. It took me forever to figure out why it felt like it was not up to par, then one day when I was vacuming I was likeWTF!!??? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Fortunatly for me the new mats on the 2002 stick to the carpet better.

Tiptronic
12-28-2002, 02:15 PM
out of curiosity, does making this adjustment, tell the computer that the car is moving faster than it really is. i was on the hwy doing about 80, but it seemed like everyone around me was going faster

TJC
12-28-2002, 02:22 PM
adjusting the cable to remove the slack = good.
adjusting the cable to physically open the throttle = bad.

Best put!

out of curiosity, does making this adjustment, tell the computer that the car is moving faster than it really is. i was on the hwy doing about 80, but it seemed like everyone around me was going faster

No; they ARE going faster than 80 mph, lol.