PDA

View Full Version : BALANCE SHAFT BELT SNAPPED!

evil-G-nius
12-21-2002, 11:33 PM
I need a new engine! I had the belt on the balance shaft snap and now I have bent valves, no compression in 3 cylinders, and the head has to be rebuilt for the most part. SO I am just gonna get a new engine and have to be reasonable because I am broke. I am just gonna get anotheer 4g64 with MUCH lower mileage, but I need to know where to get one. So any idea of where to get one?

manybrews
12-22-2002, 09:23 AM
it cheaper? really?
i gotta say, when i rebuild one of those, its generally cheaper just to fix the damage. Im assuming the little belt broke, then wrapped around the big belt causing it to fly off..
this would indeed bend valves, but SHOULDNT cause any more issues. it is possible to punch a hole through a piston, but ive seen that only once out of 500 cars.

g96nt
12-23-2002, 06:51 PM
http://www.car-parts.com ('http://www.car-parts.com')

Zander
08-26-2003, 04:13 AM
ok now i was going down the road about 60 passing gear kicked in and the balance shaft belt broke, but the timimg belt did not come off. I put a new balance shaft belt on and while I was down there a new timing and put it all in time but I have no compression. I am lost don't know what to do please help.

bronxbombr
08-26-2003, 09:27 AM
I got a 4g64 engine for sale if interested.

JiP
08-26-2003, 01:42 PM
I need a new engine! I had the belt on the balance shaft snap and now I have bent valves, no compression in 3 cylinders, and the head has to be rebuilt for the most part. SO I am just gonna get a new engine and have to be reasonable because I am broke. I am just gonna get anotheer 4g64 with MUCH lower mileage, but I need to know where to get one. So any idea of where to get one?

Well if there is only damage to the head and the bottom end is fine, this is a perfect excuse to do the dohc head swap! If your gona swap engines might as well put in the 4g63 turbo.

Pull the balance shafts out on the new engine and you wont have to worry about the second belt breaking ever again =D

Moosh
08-26-2003, 04:33 PM
I have a complete SOHC head in great shape if anyone wants to buy it, will save you a lot of money by avoiding a rebuild.

manybrews
08-26-2003, 05:16 PM
converting to a DOHC head is more of a pain that its worth, so dont bother.

dont yank the balance shafts either, as there is no reason to make the car vibrate like a harley (especially considering it was engineered to have the shafts in it).
just have the head yanked off, and check how much damage is done. a valve job is going to be a lot cheaper than an engine, if thats all thats needed.

JiP
08-26-2003, 05:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>converting to a DOHC head is more of a pain that its worth, so dont bother.

dont yank the balance shafts either, as there is no reason to make the car vibrate like a harley (especially considering it was engineered to have the shafts in it).
just have the head yanked off, and check how much damage is done. Â*a valve job is going to be a lot cheaper than an engine, if thats all thats needed.</div>

DOHC is not a hard job, however if you dont plan to be doing any crazy power mods to your car no it isnt worth the time.

Balance shafts well, of course your not just yanking them, there are a few parts you add in their place I forget exactly what goes on its in the VFAQS...my engine already vibrates like crazy thanks to filled engine mounts =D only at idle hit the gas and its smoooth sailing.

If your not planning anything crazy with your car, you really should buy moosh's head its in excellent condition I have seen it first hand...hell I helped yank the sucker off!

jiul
08-26-2003, 07:15 PM
I got SOHC very nicely rebuilt heads for $375 from
ClearwateCylynderHeads. 12K warranty.

glantman
09-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I am in the process of puting an engine back into my 95 s (5speed) It all started when my balance shaft belt broke so i replaced it and had my heads rebuilt (port and polished off course) not 20 miles later it broke again and the engine totally seized up, I pulled the engine and I had a bering lock up on the shaft which in turn snapped it :twisted: so now here I sit i got the heads rebuilt with 8 new valves and port and polish for 275$ and the short block I am puting in it is gonna run me about 200$ the most expensive is the head set and lower set all togeather they are gonna run me about 400$ ......................my question is can I use instant gasket (the tube stuff) with my old head gasket ?? :?:

Moosh
09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
NO, do NOT cheap your way out of the head gasket, perhaps the most important gasket in your car! everything depends on that gasket, don't risk your engine a second time!