PDA

View Full Version : Remote starter issue

Gladiator
11-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I've been having problems remote starting my car (Viper 5900SST) because of the cold weather . It seems like the start signal is too short, sometimes I need two cranks before the car would start but as soon as it starts, the remote starter automatically shuts off the car.

I was wondering if there is a setting to prolong the starter and not have it shut off the second the car is started.

bronxbombr
11-17-2007, 03:11 PM
is the tach wire connected?

mrjaydeeone
11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
hmmm I am having the reverse of that issue. I have a hornet alarm on my 7g when it was warmer out sometimes the car wouldn't remote start on the 1st try. It would crank once, and no success, and then it would crank again and on the 2nd try it would start. Now with the cold it starts up on the 1st try all the time. In my 8g I have viper alarm and that never had issues, always started right up

Gladiator
11-17-2007, 04:18 PM
is the tach wire connected?

not sure, it should be since during the summer it starts up fine

if I drove the car, and then use the remote it start up fine (my car is a little hard to start cold, I know because if I use the key to start I have to hold it on the start position for like a second longer)

cntrylvr79
11-17-2007, 10:59 PM
either the tach wire isn't hooked up or it's hooked up to an injector wire. DEI systems for some reason don't like the tach signal that comes off the injector wires in mitsubishi's or chryslers.

bronxbombr
11-17-2007, 11:20 PM
thats just what i was thinking also.

Cheekz185
11-17-2007, 11:55 PM
I have the same problem.... Where is the tach wire supposed to be connected? What color is the wire? I have a Viper 791XV

Gladiator
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
should I just tell this to the shop I installed it? do you think they will know how to fix it

lonestar22
11-19-2007, 12:16 AM
mine has a starter timer and starts it for a certain number of tenths or hundreths of a second. i switch it back and forth between cold and hot seasons

Cheekz185
11-19-2007, 09:36 AM
mine has a starter timer and starts it for a certain number of tenths or hundreths of a second. i switch it back and forth between cold and hot seasons

What kind of alarm to you have? Where is the timer located?

Gladiator
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM

ya. where can I change this setting?

Gladiator
12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Just a quick update: I went to my installer. He just used his manual and didn't even need the programming device. All he did was use the remote + the cutoff button.

Apparently Viper has this easily adjustable, he pressed a sequence of buttons and he said he increased the time two notches. Unfortunately, I don't have the manual he has so I still don't know how to do it myself.

after a little Googling I found the installation manual for the 5900 http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/N5301V_05-06post.pdf
hope this helps people that have the same problem, look at page 44 for adjusting the crank time

:D

devgrp
12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
With my first car I use to have that problem. Later found out that it was because the hood pin was loose so it would take about 2 tries for the car to start up. Now I have a new alarm on the new car and my car starts right up.

Make sure your hood pin is not loose

tom04841
12-22-2007, 06:22 PM
With my first car I use to have that problem. Later found out that it was because the hood pin was loose so it would take about 2 tries for the car to start up. Now I have a new alarm on the new car and my car starts right up.

Make sure your hood pin is not loose

Or just don't install the hood pin....there are pointless anyway

cntrylvr79
12-23-2007, 01:15 PM
No actually properly installed they're an IMPORTANT safety measure. Ever reconnect the battey on a car with a remote start but without a hood pin? 80% of the time the damn thing cranks. Which can lead to very bad things if you're in the wrong place at the right time.

bronxbombr
12-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Fuck that! How bout working underneath the car with the car keys in your pocket and accidentally hitting the remote starter while you are under the damn thing With the car in first gear and over your head. :evil: