PDA

View Full Version : blue smoke upon startup

lonestar22
11-18-2007, 07:27 PM
gobs of blue smoke upon startup, gobs of oil on the spark spark plug wires (the part that goes into the valve cover) what could the blue smoke be from? bad head gasket?

laxinwarrior
11-18-2007, 07:32 PM
If there is oil on your plug wires the spark plug well gaskets could be shot. Also the oil you are burning could be from your valve stem seals/valve guides. Plug well gaskets are a real easy fix just make sure to replace the valve cover gasket while you have it off. It could also be a good time to clean out those pesky lifters if you feel so inclined.

Kwikfox
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I doubt its your head gasket, if it was your head gasket your water temp. gauge would be running hot, or acting all haywire.

Eclipse97526
11-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Well i have a 4cyl 2.4 l 8g galant. And i noticed there was a little oil on my spark plug boot. It never got bad enuf to blow smoke. and it shouldnt i dont think, Even if the The valve cover gasket leaks, the plugs should stop it from going into the cylinder.

my problem was The little rubber 0 rings had to be replaced. They were letting oil down into the plugs from the valve cover. but it sounds like its getting into your cylinders somehow ... Which is either via. Spark plug. Or head gasket... But if it were a headgasket. You would have water in with your oil, And + or would be leaking out around the head. And over heating as well, and acting haywire.

If it dont just burn out and stop, there is a few things going on...

I would start by replacing the spark plug gaskets. ( part of the valve cover gasket kit ) They prolly just old and leaky like mine... Dont take the plugs out till you replace the valve cover gasket. and the little rubber 0's Then try to soak up as much oil out of there as you can.... any little oil that gets down there should burn off. and go away. if the leak stopped.

you could have a stripped spark plug hole, and its allowing oil to get in, Via Cracked valve cover gasket... no clue man, it has a continous source of oil coming from somewhere.