View Full Version : anyone know where i can find all black taillights for 02 GTZ

toeknee02
11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
does anyone know where i can find all black tiallight for a 02 GTZ. been haveing a hard time finding them. if anyone knows where i can find them or haw i can black them out somehow let me know.

QnzMostWanted
11-20-2007, 08:59 AM
u can do it urself, just do a search for tinted tails

9G
11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
yup, tint them

djflex167
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
unless you want to get the artezza but they ain't all black and i don't like them anyways!! u can just tint your current ones and that would be it!!

badmitsu
11-20-2007, 04:48 PM
you could always buy blackouts. I thought of tinting my tails but i think it would look stupid w/ the back tinted and the front not. But, thats just my opinion.

toeknee02
11-26-2007, 07:45 AM
yo thanks alot for help.

QUeEnSNY12
11-30-2007, 01:50 AM
bro jus tint them yourself or use tint spray

toeknee02
11-30-2007, 08:39 AM
has anyone used this product??? how good is it, how long does it last, is it hard to apply, is it ez to apply, how shoule i apply it, what should i look out for when applying, what type of lights should i have to spray this on, where on the lite should i spray it: inside or outside, what type of buld works best to shine threw, what should i do if i mess up,...........SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ME OUT HERE!

ZEUS25
11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey wzup man??..i see ur from the Mil-Town too..im on da Southside...where in Milwaukke are u??...Im also looking for info on Blackin out the tailights...i used the search but it jus gives me finished products not step by step process....

Eclipse97526
11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
depends on how much time you spend preping, First of all, what you want is Nite Shade. i will write a walkthrough up on this later sometime, i figured we had one somewhere, i was just bored, its same process as painting - its all in the prep work !

end result if done right is this.

6 coats of nite shade and 3 coats of clear coat.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/10-14-07_0920.jpg

Keep in mind when doing this, Please Please think of other drivers, and dont go to dark, if u want it really black, fog on 7 coats, No more, And fog, i mean, VERY lite coats. the light shines out pretty well, but some people wont pay attention... Anyways, You need the following

1 . Can of Nite Shades 20 $
1. Can of high quality Clear coat ( Compressed rattle can )
2 . Range of went sanding paper. buy the pack, that has like 400 800 1000 1500 Then
3. Buy a pack of 3000 grit wet sand paper
4. a Knife.
5 . Bucket of soapy water
6. Polishing / Heavy Rubbing compound
7. a nice synthetic was, my fav is meguires NGX Synthetic.
8. Polishing / and or lint free cloths.
9. cleaning compount safe on plastics.

First of all, i started off buy taking my knife, and removing the US DOT Numbers and all that us patent crap on the bottom of the lense. Making it pretty smooth, not all bumpy, i want a clean look.

Then i wet sanded the tails with the 400 grit sandpaper, Rember to get it wet with soapy water before sanding, Removes Alot less, and your paper lasts forever. Sand it down evenly, using a block. ( i used a special form fitting foam sanding pad, i love them ) Wet sand untill you cannot feel where the lettering was, and you have removed thoes little holes, you will see what im talking abot, dont remove them all the way, but take the raised ring down flat, and have it so the whole light looks nice and sanded,.

This is all in the Prep work, the more even and the more u wet sand this, the better the finish product will look.

Repeat the process with the 800 grit paper,. Dont rush, rember, it will look better ;) Dont spend as much time sanding with the 800 gritt, You already have a nice even surface, you are just making the sanding scratches smaller.

Repeat the process, with the 1000 gritt. Not as heavy or as long of sanding process.

Now let it dry out a little ., take her inside and wash it off with soapy water, removing all the white plasticy residue.

After this, i let it dry, and used " Prep All " a plastic safe cleaning compond that removes all dirt and greze, and evaporates fast.

let it dry very much all the way. Now they look very dull and crappy, and your going aww crap, Well take them outside. into a dust free area.

Now this Nite shade wants to clump together, and run, and look uneven and shitty, rember this is not spray paint, its tininting film in a spray can... So fog on a VERY light coat, You will not be able to see this coat, Just lighting go over covering the entire lense. 1 snall coat from about 12-15 inches away.

Wait 7 minutes. Come back and repeat that process. Fog on another second coat, this one you can go a little closer, 8-10 inches, But just barely spray it, " Fogging it on " this allows the tinting film to set up a bit, and stand up,( kinda like painting with mettalics ) But it dont dry completly so its all good...

wait 7 minutes. Repeat.

wait 7 minutes repeat.

wait 7 minutes repeat.

Now look at how your lense looks, you may be able to see threw it pretty good right now, This will get alot darker when it drys, But when the light hits it it will look a deep deep dark red, Go put a cover over the light, or window, so you can still see them, but like in the shade, See how they will look. Keep in mind. They will Dry and be much darker.

The ammount of coats depends on how thin and properly you fog it on, this can take 7-8 coats if done right, and light enuf coats. DO NOT SPRAY ON THE TINT TILL ITS AS DARK AS YOU WANT IT, IT WILL BE WAY TO DARK. Do not apply more than 8 coats.

Let set and dry for 5 hours, so you know its competly dry, Will take longer if its really humid . I let mine sit over night, cause this is the important part, It needs to be DRY !

Now get out your soapy water, and your 3000 gritt.

Sand away. I actually tinted mine to dark, and i sanded prolly 30-40 mintues on each lense to get it how i wanted. The 3000 grit barely takes any off, Keep it wet. Sand sand sand, Do NOT use the prep all or any other cleaning solvents or solutions on this lense. Simply wash with clean luke warm water with your hands and rinse untill all the residue is gone, make sure there is nothing on it thought.

Let it dry 100 % free of any water.

Head back outside. get your clear coat, I just used a spray on clear coat from autozone, the best stuff they had. Duplicolor brand, was like 6.99

hope you got good and accurate with the fogging tequnie ;)

Fog on a coat of the clear from the can, Now i lighting foged the entire lenses with 2 small foggy coats to begin with, Enuf to almost make the lenses look wet, but to barely cover them.

let set for 3 minutes.

Fog on another layer like you just did. ( run over them once real lighting, then go back over the first one again, after you spray a light coat on the other lense.

They should appear wet now. and look like, Way nice.

wait 3 minutes.

Apply the exact same thing, fog on 2 light coats onto each lense.

I got lucky, This was all i needed, it had a few particles of dust that had fallen onto it while i left it set drying all night.

I took some turtue wax, Heavy Swirl and Scratch Rubbing compound.

DO ONE LENSE AT A TIME.

Take a Lint free cloth

Swirl in little swirls, not pressing to hard, but working the compount onto the lense. Dot let this stuff dry, after a coat of rubbing compound is evenly covering the lense, Go over it again fairly fast, But pressing harder this time.

Quicky wipe it clean with a rag " Remove all rubbing compount, Set a coat of that was on here, and let it set about 30 minutes, come back with a polishing cloth, lint free of course, and remove all the wax. And you have some sexy sexy tail lights, that wont fail to weathering or hardly anything if this is done right, it will be basicly just like your carpaint. and waxes and shines just like a brand new paint job ;)

jeremyl464
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Awesome write up, ordered my nite shade last week...

Does the sanding take off the part of the plastic thats red, or is it just so the spray will cover better?

toeknee02
11-30-2007, 07:47 PM
YO THANKS FOR THE TIP. so what is the purpose of sanding down the lens before you apply the nite shade? how does it look if i just applied it to the lens as is. does it have more of a dull finish or shiney finish? i hope i dont sound like a jerk or sound stupid. i just dont want to mess it up or be unsatisfied with the outcome you know. let me know. PEACE :smt100

Divinity
11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
sanding it helps promote a shinier finish

beam514
11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Does the sanding take off the part of the plastic thats red, or is it just so the spray will cover better?

I'm assuming it does not take off the red, as the plastic appears to be red all the way through, and not covered in a red film or anything. The sanding is used in any painting situation, and is for better adhesion

Eclipse97526
12-01-2007, 11:54 AM
ya definatly man, sanding basiclt just giving the nighshade some grooves to sit into, promotes a shiner finish, and in the end, a MUCH longer lasting better product, Just rember, all painting is is prep work, the more time u spend sanding it, and making sure its all even, and nice and clean, the longer its going to last, i have heard of people sanding the clear coat afterwrods, but mine came out really really even, so i simply used some rubbing compound to remove any dust and or hair speckles that have fallen in it while drying, im reposting this under the tutorials, ill have step buy step pictures after i do my tail lights, Well that is after i get my car running good again, im not sure whats wrong with it... Glad it helped some of you out, i was kinda nervious when i did it, thats why i used my OEM lights, and it looks so much Cleaner and SICK ! i love thoes OEM'd night shaded down, My friend bought some black paint and is just going to paint over them.

And my lenses look like a DEEP red, unless its dark out, or its in the shade, then it just loos so red its almost black, unless you look at my tails from a angle, then they are black. But i did this cause of the bored ass cops in this town, lookin for any reason to pull someone over... If you are finished, and it dont look good, just take 400 gritt and sand it all off, and start over, The 2nd time around would take 2x as much prep work to remove the old tint. You have about 1/8 of a inch of lense to play with, and thats Plenty if u are wet sanding like you should be, it barely takes any off.

toeknee02
01-09-2008, 09:57 PM
just did it today. and i have to say it came out pretty...SHITTY :( i should have went slower and took my time. all i did was just clean the lens and then just sprayed the night shade on. lots of drips and streaks. when the lights are on, the mistakes stick out alot. ill post some more pics in the day time so you see waht im talking about. at least now i know how to do it right the next time. but now what would be the best way to redo it with out having to buy new lens? :smt100 can anyone help me out. is there a way i could fix it without sanding it all off and starting over? or is there some type of paint soluation out there that can take it off without damaging the lens. :smt100 beforehttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc66/toeknee_gtz/p_00700.jpglens off http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc66/toeknee_gtz/p_00703.jpg1http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc66/toeknee_gtz/p_00704.jpg2http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc66/toeknee_gtz/p_00705.jpgyes i know i need a car wash http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc66/toeknee_gtz/p_00708.jpg

QnzMostWanted
01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
if u have the can too close u'll get drips

Divinity
01-09-2008, 10:12 PM
yeah you put too much thought into it and fucked it up

SkylineG1
01-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Just clean it up a bit & respray.

badmitsu
01-09-2008, 10:44 PM
has anyone ever done this to the headlights? Just wondering how it would look w/ a lite coat on them. I just dont think it would look right w/ the back tinted and not the front!

Reelax
01-09-2008, 10:48 PM
this place has the special tinting vynil for headlight and tail light lenses. my buddy did his bmw 5 series (just the red) here and they look perfect:

http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php?cat=861

djflex167
01-10-2008, 12:03 AM
if u have the can too close u'll get drips
thats right!!

pinoyesv6
01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
just did it today. and i have to say it came out pretty...SHITTY :( i should have went slower and took my time. all i did was just clean the lens and then just sprayed the night shade on. lots of drips and streaks. when the lights are on, the mistakes stick out alot. ill post some more pics in the day time so you see waht im talking about. at least now i know how to do it right the next time. but now what would be the best way to redo it with out having to buy new lens? :smt100 can anyone help me out. is there a way i could fix it without sanding it all off and starting over? or is there some type of paint soluation out there that can take it off without damaging the lens. :smt100

brake cleaner does wonders at melting off the paint. at least for me. test in a small area first before spraying the whole tail with your particular brake cleaner to make sure it doesn't damage anything but the paint.

but yea, keep the can at the proper distance, and its better to do a bunch of thin coats than it is to do one or two thick coats.

has anyone ever done this to the headlights? Just wondering how it would look w/ a lite coat on them. I just dont think it would look right w/ the back tinted and not the front!

i wouldn't do it. the light output would be horrible if you did a spray on the lens. i would get covers or even tinted vinyl.

Jeffylou87
01-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Use paint thinner to get it off.. It won't damage the lenses..

QUeEnSNY12
01-12-2008, 05:56 AM
BRO U CAN JUS TINT THEM YOURSELF EITHER GET THE FILM OR THE SPRAY OR SEARCH EBAY FOR THEM

fliegendaffe
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
i got my black altezzas off ebay for about 90