PDA

View Full Version : Angel Eyes Tutorial that i used

HiperSilver
12-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Materials needed:

Acrylic rods - about 3 feet long (they are what you use to adjust blinds)
3.6V LED's x2 (found at Radioshack)
220 ohm resistors (found at Radioshack)
some wire, anything will do
oven
a dremel would be nice, but a saw is also good.

OK here we go. This leaves off fromt he clear corners turorial after the bumper is off and the lights are out.

1. First i started by taking apart my headlamp assembly. I used a heatgun and a putty knife. Heat a little, peel a little. Make sure you go very slow and arent in a hurry, this can be somewhat time consuming and can aggrivate you, like it did me.
2. Once you have your housing dis-assembled, measure the perimeter of which you wish to put the angel eye around.
3. Next, measure that same length, + an inch or so (just in case) on the acrylic rod. once you have that measured off, saw off the excess rod.
4. Now you have a rod at a certain length. (if you are doing circles, measure the diameter, divide by two, and then do 2pieradius for the Cricumphrence). Preheat your oven to 300 degrees farenheight. Then put the rod in for 5 minutes.
5. At this point you want to get either a mold of what your going to do it aroudn (like a cup or jar) or just get the housing it self. Then, once taking the rod out of the oven, it should be very flimsy... almost like liqourice. Mold it inot the shape you want and voila! but wait... you're not done!!
6. cut off any excess you have and if your rod is a little bit out of shape, just put in the oven for another minute or so and form it.
7. Now you have a ring of acrylic rod that should surround the area you have chosen.
8. Using a dremel (ITS MUCH FASTER WITH THIS!), i put small cuts or etches in the BACK (side that will be facing the housing) of the rod. Space them equally about this far apart: || Well that really doesn't help but the distance should not be great nor too small. You must do this in order for the light to refract correctly around the circle. They shouldnt have to be deep at all.
9. now you have it about 50% complete. All you need to do is wire the LED's! I sodered my LEDs together. each LED has two prongs. take ONE prong from EACH LED and soder them together. take the other two and soder them to the 220 ohm resistor. Make sure you know which one is positive and negative, resistor goes on the positive one
10. now you should have something that resembels this: LED assembly
(i sodered mine to a wire)
11. ok, now just hook them up to a 12v battery to see if the LED's work, toy with it for a bit if you dont get it first try.
12. Everything works?? good. now drill two small holes in the ends of you rod and insert the LED's. Make sure to put some silicon in there, it will hold them well. Then what you want to do is just see the ring light up, put electrical tape arent where the leds mount in the ring, so you wont see a big burst of light then the rest of the circle, it will make it looks cleaner.
13. You could use crazy glue, but silicon seems to work better, seeing are there is a small mounting area where the halo actually mount to the housing.
14. Now either hardwire it to something with a switch or your parking lights, i chose my parking lights personally. THE SOURCE MUST BE A 12V SOURCE!.
15. Reinstall everything and you're done!