PDA

View Full Version : JDM Taillight Installation Tutorial

BGR
11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I created this tutorial in Power Point about 5 years ago and updated it this morning. It plays automatically in Internet Explorer (select OPEN when prompted); it does not play automatically in Firefox, however, you can download it (select SAVE when prompted) and view it from your computer as a self playing presentation.

Use the mouse buttons to advance to next slide or use cursor arrows on the keyboard or the slide bar on the right side.

Link update - 02.04.09
Click here for tutorial (http://home.comcast.net/~bishop.brown77/TGC/JDM_Taillight_Installation_Tutorial.swf)

Kid
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Is it just me, or does this tutorial not show up anymore? I'm looking for a tutorial on installing the tails below...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/afdj006/galant/98galant-tail.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...
:D

Kid

00GalantMan
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
i got it to work fine when I used it. Do you have power point on your pc?

silver01g
02-26-2008, 02:35 PM
which part of the installing are you needing help at?

Kid
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
which part of the installing are you needing help at?I haven't started yet, I just know there was something about modifying the harness or so. Just out of curiousity, the stock tails have how many bulbs in it? Four? I can use the stock bulbs for the jdms right?

Kid

Mike_Rom
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Good tutorial!!

spdracr
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
the stock has 3 and as far as I remember u have to splice the turn/running light and make an extra bulb and u have to buy a socket from ur local store and use it

99 galant
02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
yea the stock has 3, but whats the point to pay $200 for jdm if you have to do all that work?

WarmAndSCSI
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
but whats the point to pay $200 for jdm if you have to do all that work?
Because USDM tails are ugly?

dknight3
02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
why a power point presentation?

silver01g
02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
find out to be ALOT easier to get the tails with the harness, cause all you have to do is cut off the stock harness that comes out of the car, then cut off the JDM harness at the end (the part that connects to the car) and just wire them together, alot easier then having to mod the holes for the stock bulbs and adding another stock harness for the 4th bulb. it only took me 20 minutes to do. i got my tails from trigg for $145 shipped. that last pair i had i got off of ebay for $120 no harness did the adding and hole inlarging, to many problems, and it looked ugly when i took out the tails.

jhendra83
02-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Installation is very easy. JDM has four sockets and bulbs (one inner top socket will not be used). I kept the USDM signal socket and bulb but I had to widened (using an army knife lol) the JDM signal housing a little bit. The rest are just splicing and rewiring.

Now when I turn the running light, the signal light is on as well which is white (kinda afraid it will mistaken people that my reverse light is on while the car is moving lol).

Serstylz2
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
find out to be ALOT easier to get the tails with the harness, cause all you have to do is cut off the stock harness that comes out of the car, then cut off the JDM harness at the end (the part that connects to the car) and just wire them together, alot easier then having to mod the holes for the stock bulbs and adding another stock harness for the 4th bulb. it only took me 20 minutes to do. i got my tails from trigg for $145 shipped. that last pair i had i got off of ebay for $120 no harness did the adding and hole inlarging, to many problems, and it looked ugly when i took out the tails.

So trigg has em for 145 shipped with harness... hmm.. 2nd gen or 3rd?

silver01g
02-27-2008, 04:00 PM
well i dont think he would just have them, i had asked him if he could get some, he said yes. told him i wanted the 2nd gen, he priced me $145 shipped. The 3rd gen would be just a bit more.

spdracr
02-28-2008, 02:00 AM

There is a 2nd gen in the for sale section and the cheapest 3rd gen that trig has is $210 shipped

Hey jhendra can u show us some pics

Divinity
02-28-2008, 02:03 AM
You choice really, with what you have going with your car.... I'd probably say 2nd

Serstylz2
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I was always thinkin 2nd too, I'll get em once my checks from Arena start coming in

AVERAGE
02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
^ as in football? That's cool as shit,dude.(back on topic). uh...it wasnt that hard to mod the tails but if I had to do it all over again I would definetly get them with the harness. If i did the first taillight with a boxcutter instead of with a dremel I would be much happier with my install.

jhendra83
03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
There is a 2nd gen in the for sale section and the cheapest 3rd gen that trig has is $210 shipped

Hey jhendra can u show us some pics

I rewired everything and all bulbs are now working lol...I'll get some pics later.

Kid
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I rewired everything and all bulbs are now working lol...I'll get some pics later.At least someone has got around to doing theirs...I just gave up on mine for the time being...:(...I guess it'll come back later...

Kid

BGR
02-05-2009, 02:10 AM
why a power point presentation?

I had completed several presentations at work and I felt that format would work great for a tutorial, too.
I just converted the file to SWF - viewable in your browser now. Link updated.

Click here (http://home.comcast.net/~bishop.brown77/TGC/JDM_Taillight_Installation_Tutorial.swf)

By the way, if you need a free .ppt to .swf converter, download OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) (similar to Microsoft Office, but free).
Their Powerpoint equivalent software has a built in converter.

This tutorial is very old - before people sold taillights with the wiring harness, so we had to make up our own, or make do with the stock wires. This tutorial makes due with the stock wires.

RedGalant2k1
02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
People should also know that the factory JDM taillight bulbs and harnesses are sold here in the states. You don't necessarily need to do the very minor modifications to the bulb sockets (on the JDM taillight) to fit USDM sockets in the JDM socket positions.

[DC_eightG_00]
02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
There is?? where and can you please tell me.. i really do not want to modify it when i just bought the thing.. I asked Trigg and and he has it but if its here i rather get it.. Ive been searching and no one wants to sell it seperate..