PDA

View Full Version : my tming belt snapped guess what happened

Jose
11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
well i got in my car and went 4 a cruise i had been using the car like all day so i would have never thought that my timing belt was going to break. i was getting to a stop when it snapped and both of them broke and they broke the crank plate and crank sensor and when the timing belts broke my pistons went all the way up and hit my valves. well i replaced my crank plate sensor the crank plate and the timing belt but i didnt know that my pistons hit my valves so i turn on my car and it runs like a lawnmower luckily my neighbor is a mechanic and he tells me that in his manual it says that when the belts break the pistons will go all the way up and they will hit the valves. point is my car has been in the shop 4 about 1 week and a half and they wont have it done until three more days

VegasMatt
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
And how m uch is this going to cost??

WarmAndSCSI
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
That shop blows. I fixed 12 bent valves on my V6 in two days. And I'm a computer programmer for a living :lol:

Take it somewhere else if anything else like that happens.

4-G-rim
11-26-2007, 07:02 PM
How much are they charging to "repair" the exsisting motor? You can get relatively lower milage 4G64's cheap. If you do buy a used motor...just replace the timing belt, water pump, B-shaft belt, auto tensioner, tensioner pulley and idler pulley.

WarmAndSCSI
11-26-2007, 07:04 PM
How much are they charging to "repair" the exsisting motor? You can get relatively lower milage 4G64's cheap. If you do buy a used motor...just replace the timing belt, water pump, B-shaft belt, auto tensioner, tensioner pulley and idler pulley.

Really he just needs a new head - that's an easy swap on the 4G64. I highly doubt the pistons are damaged.

bronxbombr
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
i was just about to say that too, just get a head and it would have been way cheaper.

WarmAndSCSI
11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
It's sad when people take their car into a shop only to get screwed. The modus operandi for a shop is to pull the head, send it off to a machine shop, and reinstall the head, meanwhile figuratively ramming the customer up the ass.

Satan
12-08-2007, 12:33 PM
...I hate having to use any shop and I do have 1 guy I trust with my Supras, but we do everything else ourselves. I have seen stuff go on at shops that is just bad business, ethics, etc.

If you're going to have a car that you can't fix yourself, just buy it new with a bumper-to-bumper warranty and it will cost you less in the long haul. When that warranty expires, buy another new car.