PDA

View Full Version : Sporadic stalling on start up followed by hard start????

tom04841
11-27-2007, 06:09 AM
It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it is taking longer to start back up. I am getting no CEL

Motor is stock for now.

When i first start it up, it will chug, and as soon as i put it in gear, it stalls. I then have to put the pedal to the floor and crank it over....sometimes can take a couple minutes of cranking for 5-10 seconds, then stopping and repeating. I have only noticed that it does this if the motor is warm.

When it finally does start, i get black smoke (fuel) from the tailpipe, then it runs great until the next time it decides to happen.

I have replaced the wires and plugs...they looked fine, but it was due anyway.

I was thinking maybe faulty coolant temp sensor or possibly fpr.

Any insight would be great.

4-G-rim
11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Thats weired you are not getting any CEL's. Do you have a spare distributor assembly?

My g/f old Civic had similar issues one time and I replaced the distributor and it fixed it. Either the coil in the distributor or the cam able sensor inside took a crap...either or it fixed the problem.

tom04841
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
The fact that I'm not getting a CEL leads me to think that it may be a faulty fpr, or a dead spot in the coolant temp sensor. I have a spare fpr, and will get a new temp sensor and see what happens

Shadow19
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
My car had similar issues..... It never threw a CEL.. Not even the mitsu dealership could tell me the problem with my car and they had their "master mechanic" on it for like 3 days... Come to find out.. It was the distributor!.....

bronxbombr
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Ya that could do it too. How does your rotor brush and cap look. And is it leaking oil anywhere around the Distro?