PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have issues when their G is towed? (kit on G)

BGR
11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
If you have a kit on your G and had to have it towed, did you have any issues?

My front bumper cover is all fucked up underneath from the multiple tows that I had done. I can only imagine the damage I would incure if I had an GFX kit put on.

SleekGTZ
11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I had my g towed once (starter failed). I knew I would have problems if I get it towed, so I jacked the car up and removed the bumper lip first. Then the tow truck came and it "BARELY" :shock: cleared the bumper to lift it up.

I bet with other kits and a lowered car, it would be very difficult.

VegasMatt
11-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I had mine towed yesterday. The company I use specializes in lowered cars, They just used a ton of wood as they were putting it on the truck to get it off the ground.

WarmAndSCSI
11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I had mine towed yesterday. The company I use specializes in lowered cars, They just used a ton of wood as they were putting it on the truck to get it off the ground.

That's some advanced specialization.

9G
11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
lol

BGR
11-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Damn, what time? Can you imagine, both of us having our Galant's towed on the same day? Mine was put on a flat bed around 8:30am.

Oh, yeah, another coincidence - the guy that towed my Galant is from Vegas and they specialized in towing show cars. He was telling me how they lift one side, then the other and then get the SOB on the back of the flat bed. He said the shop he had was near Henderson.

Prophet
11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I had to get mine towed to the shop to get the alarm removed. I couldn't find a towing company at first who would even touch it. When I finally did they told me they where the only company in the area that specializes in it. Like Matt said they have to use alot of wood and the truck had special air bags that lowered the bed. They barely where able to get it on and off and it still scrapped a bit.

BGR
11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks. After yesterday, I was highly doubting whether or not I wanted to have a kit put on.

Prophet
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks. After yesterday, I was highly doubting whether or not I wanted to have a kit put on.

Go JDM Rich... I am having my front bumper removed and going that route. Also maybe look into getting the Tein SS to raise the car if you need too...

qnz
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
my bumper is held on by a lot of zip ties. i can get it off in about a few minutes. im not afraid of the big bad tow truck.

BGR
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Go JDM Rich... I am having my front bumper removed and going that route. Also maybe look into getting the Tein SS to raise the car if you need too...

Naw too many people have JDM style.
I seen a kit (front piece) for sell that I'm willing to get that I haven't seen on TGC yet.

VegasMatt
11-27-2007, 05:31 PM

Damn, what time? Can you imagine, both of us having our Galant's towed on the same day? Mine was put on a flat bed around 8:30am.

Oh, yeah, another coincidence - the guy that towed my Galant is from Vegas and they specialized in towing show cars. He was telling me how they lift one side, then the other and then get the SOB on the back of the flat bed. He said the shop he had was near Henderson.

Small World. Mine was put on the flat bed around 11am. It took him about 15 minutes to get it on the truck, but these guys are pretty known for towing lowered cars. I have free towing on my insurance but I pay extra to use these guys. I am going to ask them if they will tow my shit to CA for MOD. :)

Stewi
11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
my bumper is held on by a lot of zip ties. i can get it off in about a few minutes. im not afraid of the big bad tow truck.

LOL

Aaron mine was the same way for a long time.

There is a local tow company near me that does alot of Ferrari's and Lambo's. They have a special flat bad that the bed sort of slides nearly all the way off the truck, so the car goes on almost flat, then the bed and the car fold back up and onto the truck. I can image its expensive, but it wont mess up your car.

lonestar22
11-27-2007, 10:26 PM
i used to thing flat beds were better for a lowered car until i saw this conventional type of tow truck i hadnt seen before.

he had a ultra low jack that he jacked the driver side of my car up on. then he these arms under the car that grabbed the wheel. then he layed the car on the front jack point and lifted the car up by the wheels. not one scratch! flatbed has never done that for me

Reelax
11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
my car can only be towed on flatbed and i have to take my front bumper off and put it in the front seat. there are 8 screws/ bolts holding my bumper on and i can get it off in about 45 minutes (lights and grill have to come off too).

BGR
11-28-2007, 12:02 AM
i used to thing flat beds were better for a lowered car until i saw this conventional type of tow truck i hadnt seen before.

he had a ultra low jack that he jacked the driver side of my car up on. then he these arms under the car that grabbed the wheel. then he layed the car on the front jack point and lifted the car up by the wheels. not one scratch! flatbed has never done that for me

AAA arrived with a "normal" tow truck at first because they said all the flat beds were unavailable. He was able to hoist the Galant, but he said that the tow was right on the oil pan and didn't want to proceed any further, so he called in an requested that the flat bed be sent over (I was already waiting 2 hours).

BGR
11-28-2007, 12:04 AM
my car can only be towed on flatbed and i have to take my front bumper off and put it in the front seat. there are 8 screws/ bolts holding my bumper on and i can get it off in about 45 minutes (lights and grill have to come off too).
That's kind of cool and insane at the same time. Take your whole front end off? Wow.

Ed
11-28-2007, 12:05 AM
If I have to have mine towed I have the wood already for them to use....but since I'm on dubs now its a piece of cake.

Reelax
11-28-2007, 12:14 AM
That's kind of cool and insane at the same time. Take your whole front end off? Wow.

yeah u haven't seen my car since MOD05 (it won "Best Execution" at MOP06)... i have very little clearance now after i got the kit on and lowered the front... maybe about 4" clearance or a little more than a pack of smokes. here's one of the most recent pics so you can imagine that it would never be able to clear the ramp on to a flatbed:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/garage/upload/garage_gallery-27-1190246149_thumb.jpg (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&image_id=490)

6G72gearhead
11-28-2007, 01:52 AM
I wont let them tow my car with anything other than a flatbed, even though I dont have clearence issues, Its just easier on the car to use a flatbed. If they do send another style tow truck, I tell them its AWD, they scratch thier heads for a minute or two and get a flatbed.