PDA

View Full Version : Drifting

o0 XeRO G 0o
12-23-2002, 11:57 AM
how many people here have drifting experience? i'm just starting to get into it (i gotta wait til it rains again so i can go down behind lowes and practice). i was just wondering is it possible/smart to do it in the stock rims/tires? from what i've heard, i should have performance tires, but i'm not sure. and do i go into the turn then pull up on the e-brake? or do i pull the e-brake before the turn? btw - front wheel drive auto.

2True
12-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Ah yes, I'm sure Maz and myself could teach you a thing or two about drifting on slick surfaces.

Generally you want to pull the brake right after you have the momentum of the turn. Just pull it quick enough for the rear tires to lock and then release, the loss of traction in will bring the back around.
It's not bad in stock rims/tires IMO, although theoretically if you gained traction all of the sudden, the tire could slip off of the rim (it's happened before)

This winter I have yet to build up the balls to pull of the dreaded Parallel-Park 180 Drift. We'll see, gotta find someone else's car to try it in lol

Something Like this here... Click Click ('http://media.ebaumsworld.com/ppark.mpg') :wink:

peanotation
12-23-2002, 01:03 PM
i've had to swing my tail around on some nice sharp turns. i live by Rancho Santa Fe out here in southern california, and i dont think anywhere else in the US has more twisty roads than we do. about 300 square miles of it. i'm not big on it since my wheels and tires are stock, but i'm always seeing rich yuppies in their ferraris doing stuff out here. i guess it wouldn't be bad, but i'd probably recomend some wider tires so there's more stability in the wheels. Galants were made with the intention to go touring through twisty roads, but i'm sure it can't be too harmfull.

seth98esT
12-23-2002, 04:07 PM
ive seen that video many timees. make sure when you do it 2true, not to use your galant and also make sure you tape it :biggrin: i wanna see it haha!

Mazarin
12-23-2002, 07:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ah yes, I'm sure Maz and myself could teach you a thing or two about drifting on slick surfaces.</div>

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah.

Other than fun, I don't know what the bonus would be of drifting in a FWD car...

manybrews
12-23-2002, 10:37 PM
the best way (and most dangerous) to drift a FWD car is by using a "lift throttle oversteer" technique. it requires speed and control.
basically, you need to hit a maximum vehicle speed at the apex of a corner, and release the throttle. the sudden weight transition from acceleration to deceleration will break the rear tires free if done correctly, allowing the perfect drift.

using the parking brake scrubs speed, so if your racing its a poor choice.

however, this technique should only be used on a track. trying it on a cloverleaf may well put you into the ditch, especially if you havent done it before, and arent familiar with your cars "at the limit" handling.

o0 XeRO G 0o
12-23-2002, 11:31 PM
im not too serious about it.. i just wanna try something new in a vacant parking lot. maybe impress a few friends... but as for racing, no way.. not yet at least :wink:

Dark Anghell
12-24-2002, 09:46 PM
umm...try putting some wider tires in the front if you can...borrow them from your friend. This way you have more traction in the front tires, and less in the rear.
I tried drifting in my old car prelude). I would be careful with the AT because this is going to put A LOT of stress on the tranny itself. Otherwise go for it.
As for the throttle deal...It's very dangerous you got to be able to pull the car throught the corner. I have seen guys flip their brand new Lotus Elise's (actually just one), the car was totaled. After your rear end swings out...you got to hit the trottle and don't let it go.
This is my .02

signet
01-06-2003, 08:58 AM
I have drifted before on back roads here in ny and it is a blast and I once did a 360 forward in my galant and smoked the tires the whole time I was spinning I have done this with stock and performance tires I would recommend performance tires if you do this alot. Just check the suspension if you do this alot.

BlaqueOut
01-06-2003, 08:34 PM
I started drifiting as soon as i got my car, and well.....lol... I have a lot of learning to do. Basically we have some slick roads here in KC with the weather being mild and always changing. I found the best way to get the rear to slide is at the apex of the corner, pull up on the E-brake, then once it starts to slide, drop the E-brake, steer where ya wanna go, and gun at the same time.

I do need some pointers tho, becuase everytime I try this, I just do a 180, and never end up going where I want to. Of course I always get hyped up, and let go of my e-brake (making it lock) and forget to press the gas. But im workin on it. So any pointers??

By the way...im basically stock, and how would a strut bar help??

BlaqueOut
01-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Oh and another thing....DON'T TRY DRIFITING ON ICE or SNOW!!!! Uh this does not work...at all. Remember physics?? Objects in motion stay in motion? Well ice keeps you in motion till either the curb or the grass stops you. Im speaking from experience of course, and almost ran into a tree :oops: :roll: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

HiperSilver
01-06-2003, 09:19 PM
be fucking careful dude..... Dont be a dumbass and do it around cars or light poles or shit...aka. dont be me. but otherwise its super fun...

Drift King in my High school, ahhaha

seth98esT
01-06-2003, 10:31 PM
you mean you guys want to do this ('http://tgcia.galants.com/drift')?

(its an 8mb file so 56kers beware....id just save it cause ive watched it like 4 times!)

Strahan
01-06-2003, 10:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlaqueOut)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh and another thing....DON'T TRY DRIFITING ON ICE or SNOW!!!! Uh this does not work...at all. Remember physics?? Objects in motion stay in motion? Well ice keeps you in motion till either the curb or the grass stops you. Im speaking from experience of course, and almost ran into a tree Â*:oops: Â*:roll: Â*:lol:</div>

you forgot the last part of that.. Objects in motion stay in motion.. until acted upon by an outside force. In this case, the force is friction (and hopefully not a pole hehe). I do e-brake turns in snow alot, no problems. It's great for helping with u turns https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I don't consider it "drifting", maybe only in the most vague way. Drifting to me is a racing technique more than a tool for showing off. If you need to use an ebrake, you are just killing your velocity for no appreciable gain.

o0 XeRO G 0o
01-07-2003, 04:26 PM
thanks for the pointers guys... i'll probly try it later this spring considering we just got 3 inches of snow. maybe i'll wait til i get my 18's, which god only knows when that'll be. i guess i gotta get a job :cry:

GalantSpeed
01-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Ha Ha Ha!!! Man i had to take this stupid Driver Improvement Program Course for the Navy, it tought us how to drift....not really it showed us how to countersteer and shit like that if we lose control through a corner, i shouted out in the class..."oh shit...drifitng!!!" it was pretty funny everyone was laughing, but i was asked to leave the class.....