PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Something wrong with tranny :S..

haleemul
12-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Okay,

I have a 01 GTZ. So this morning I started the car to get to work and when I put it in reverse, it didnt move.. it stood still; which is not normal for an auto gear.. so I pressed the accelerator a bit and the tires squealed and it moved and it jerked back! :S..

Then I shifted into Drive, and it stood still, nothing happend until I pressed the accelerator a bit.. then the car moved forward with tires squealing and a big jerk back :S !!!

It never did this before !!!

Whats wrong with the car? Any ideas??

wittydrewy
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Is your E brake up?

bronxbombr
12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
sounds like you are shy on fluid or your TC is bugging out on you and not pumping right.

haleemul
12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Is your E brake up?You mean parking brake or something? If thats the case then no.

haleemul
12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
sounds like you are shy on fluid or your TC is bugging out on you and not pumping right.What is TC??

I'm gona take it in for a tranny flush first thing tomorrow morning before work. Last time I had the oil change, the guy told me I should get a tranny flush too but I didnt do it :oops: ......

WarmAndSCSI
12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
TC = torque converter.

Make SURE the fluid is Mitsubishi/Diamond SP-III. If it's not, don't even bother.

fatal1
12-03-2007, 11:55 AM
yea any other tranny fluid will just mess it up even worse

bronxbombr
12-03-2007, 12:25 PM
TC = torque converter.

Make SURE the fluid is Mitsubishi/Diamond SP-III. If it's not, don't even bother.

werd!

haleemul
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm taking it to discount tire.. have u guys heard of it?? http://discounttires.com/

WarmAndSCSI
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
The only place that will have SP-III is the dealer (unless you get really lucky).

haleemul
12-03-2007, 01:55 PM
The only place that will have SP-III is the dealer (unless you get really lucky).Thanks. Plz bear with me cause i dont know these things..

why is this particular fluid needed? why can't they use another one in its place? cause i dont know if discount will have it or not..

mitsu dealer?.. hmm its not a new car.. its 2001.. if i take it to the dealer lol they may charge me a lot money i think right??

GOOSEY2099
12-03-2007, 02:04 PM
no, just go to the dealer, parts dept. and get some sp-iii fluid

9G
12-03-2007, 02:09 PM
yup.only dealer has it. you need somewhere around 12 qts or a case.

WarmAndSCSI
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
You should also be able to get the fluid from a Chrysler or Hyundai/Kia dealership, but no promises.

bronxbombr
12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
8G galants take 7.5 qts of that shit. IN nyc where im at they wanted 16.92 a bottle.

WarmAndSCSI
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I find $16.92 hard to believe. My dealer who marks everything up 20% over MSRP only charges around $6/qt. Your dealer may just be trying to force you to let them do the flush.

Fishboy55
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I know all the warnings about only using Mitsubishi Diamond SP III, yadda, yadda, yadda. However in the last couple of years both Castrol and Kendall have manufactured new formulas of transmission fluid that are compatible with our auto trans.

Now before you guys go flaming me, both products are guaranteed by the manufacturer, both of which are major lubricant manufacturers. Secondly, I've been running the Castrol Synthetic for about 13k miles and I push my transmission as hard as anyone else. I've had no problems and none of the symptoms associated with using non-mitsu fluid. It's your choice, just know that there are alternatives out there.

Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF Synthetic

Kendall VersaTrans ATF

Check with your sources and verify what I found out.

WarmAndSCSI
12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Have fun finding those import Multi-Vehicle ATFs. None of my local part stores carry that stuff. They have the domestic Multi-Vehicle stuff, though :lol:

pinoyesv6
12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
yea. our cars need atf that meets mitsu's spiii standards but mitsu isn't the only company to make it.

i prefer the mitsu fluid just cuz i can get it wholesale.

just read the back of the atf label and see if it meets spiii standards. if it doesn't, don't bother.

9G
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I find $16.92 hard to believe. My dealer who marks everything up 20% over MSRP only charges around $6/qt. Your dealer may just be trying to force you to let them do the flush.

dang, mine is like $4 each. I just drained and filled just last week and going for the third one soon.

haleemul
12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Okay everyone thanks for the replies.

Ive booked an early 8am appointment tomorrow morning with my local mech that I usually go to.. he has a history with this car.. so lets see..

:)

cdipier2
12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I know all the warnings about only using Mitsubishi Diamond SP III, yadda, yadda, yadda. However in the last couple of years both Castrol and Kendall have manufactured new formulas of transmission fluid that are compatible with our auto trans.

Now before you guys go flaming me, both products are guaranteed by the manufacturer, both of which are major lubricant manufacturers. Secondly, I've been running the Castrol Synthetic for about 13k miles and I push my transmission as hard as anyone else. I've had no problems and none of the symptoms associated with using non-mitsu fluid. It's your choice, just know that there are alternatives out there.

Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF Synthetic

Kendall VersaTrans ATF

Check with your sources and verify what I found out.

Yep i bought a bottle of the castrol at my local Strauss discout auto. it says multi-import vehicle and it says compatible with spII and spIII

haleemul
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
well took it to the mechanic.. they did a diagnostic and hooked up a computer to it and everything.. they didnt find anything wrong with it :s..

and furthermore my car is not doing that thing anymore :s.. actually on the same day.. after i left it in the office's parking lot and started up at 5pm when i was leaving.. it worked fine..

odd issue guys :S..