PDA

View Full Version : Electrical/Charging system problem on 94??

dragspeed
12-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Lately I've been having quite a few different problems with my galant all pertaining to the charging system/electronics. It started with bad alternator connections and then the alternator went out and was finally fixed after 3 replacements. Now the brake lights also turn on the dash lights and the brake lights stay on whenever the headlights are on and just get brighter when i press the brake.

The precursor for every problem that I've had from the car has been the CEL, brake, and battery lights coming on at the same time. Last weekend the car completely died whenever i turned the key to the start position and would only start up after sitting for 10-20min. and then the problem went away after I let it sit for a few days so the only thing that i could think to do to keep it from happening again was to replace the battery.

Now, with the new battery, the same combo of lights came on when i was driving tonight at work and they progressively get brighter as i increase the RPM's which is the opposite of what they would do when the alt. connection and alt. were going bad.

The only possibility that i can think of at the moment is maybe a bad ground, or a ground that is going bad but it is too dark out to check tonight.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this, or know what could be causing it? Also, could you please let me know where to find the main grounding point. I tried searching to see if this has come up before and came up blank so i apoligize if this has been discussed before.

TIA

JEFFRYKIBE
01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Sounds like the altenator may be over charging. When mine did that it looked like everything was energized super bright while driving

mko
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
get a voltmeter and hook it to the battery- red to the + black to the -. measure your voltage with the engine running. rev the engine to 3k and see whats the change- it should be 14-15Volts depending on the temperature, but it shouldnt go over certain voltage. if it goes over then the alternator is shot. measure the output voltage on the alternator-remove the rubber cover and put the red pin on it, black pin goes to the alternator shell. these voltages should match and if they dont then you shouyld look for bad ground or wire. do not use ohmmeter to troubleshoot bad wire or ground. ohmmeter will always tell that the connection is good, but a bad wire wont transfer current/high amps/ as good as a good wire. for that you can use voltmeter by placing the red pin on the +, and moving the black one over different components- alternator, engine, starter, chip the paint at a unnoticable place/ pick the chassis, not fender/ and compare the voltages- if they are different then you have bad ground. if these are the same then its the alternator. i know you would say that all these parts have hard metal to metal connection, but dont forget that alluminum oxide, rust and oil are all isolators and 14 years is long time. good luck

dsm galant
02-29-2008, 09:21 AM
my car started doing the exact same thing last nite, actually drove a good 40 miles before it died on the highway. i sat there for about 30 mins then it stated and i got a mile or so before it died. i went and changed the battery and got home. i went out side this morning and the car had a hard time starting like the battery was dying. it ran, and i removed the negative cable and the car completly shut off. so for now i am gonna assume its a ban alttinator. i got a 95 talon tsi and a 97 galant at my other house, but i cross referenced the part numbers and all 3 cars was different, i was gonna try to steal one of those altinators for my 95 ls