PDA

View Full Version : 90,000+ service checkup

2True
12-24-2002, 06:28 AM
That's right, my 98 is rolling up on 90K here soon. According to CarFax.com it was a rental before I owned it. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

I noticed in the owners manual that this is the last one listed so I want to get it right. Not to mention that for this service there is like a million damn things listed for inspection and/or replacement. Has anyone gotten this done? I know some of you have crazy miles on the G

I have some questions though, first off... is this really neccessary? Can I put it off till 100K lol

Second, my car is NOT under any Mitsu warranty so this is gonna cost me an arm and a leg isn't it? At leat I am not voiding anything with my mods though I guess. How much did any of you pay?

And third, My official Mitsu dealer is like a bizillion miles away from here and because of the roads I might not be able to make it there until May. Should I just take it to a guy here in town? Or do I need Mitsu guys for this?

I think my g is in great shape, plus I do most of the maintenence myself ( I know jack about tranny's though). I do my oil, coolant, belts, TB, gaskets, plugs, etc. kinda crap; so I don't need some guy to tell me I need my damn radiator flushed for $800 or something :sup:

manybrews
12-24-2002, 08:52 AM
the 90k service is identical to the 30 k service.
i probably wouldnt put it off too long.

also, there are still majo services required as long as you own the car every 30k miles. the 60k service is due again at 120k, etc.etc.

MidNightRacing
12-24-2002, 12:27 PM
matter a fact im taking my car this friday its coming up to 99,000 miles im getting a full tune up for around $280 and a radiatorflush for $65 their also going to run a diagnostic on it to see if it has any more problems, which it does cause yesterday i got it registered and it was driving good but when i was sitting at the lite for like 3 min and i tried to acc. it was actin real bad like if it was in to low of a gear or it was a bout to turn off. But when i do go friday their probly goin to tell me it needs a whole lot of s$%t done to it. OH NO :evil: Just call me empty pockets

MidNightRacing
12-28-2002, 04:13 PM
the Basterds they told me when i got there the full tune up was $500 :shock: so i didnt do it i got the coolant flush and the 15,000 mile service costed like$380 and $277 in just labor. i need new rotors, brakes and front struts now :x

2True
12-28-2002, 06:02 PM
That's what I was afraid of! Maybe I should just follow the service manual and do the service myself... :?

BEAST
12-29-2002, 02:24 AM
What do I do for my 164,000 mile tune up? I am about there. I change the oil regularly and check most of the other stuff. What should I look to do?

. i need new rotors, brakes and front struts now :x
Changing your pads and rotors are really easy. I have changed rotors once and installed about 3 pairs of brakes pads on my ride. It is probably about time to get new rotor for me too. I can tell that their kinda warped. New rotors from Napa only cost about $15.00 btw.

MidNightRacing
12-29-2002, 03:55 PM
I realy would'nt want to change it my self unless i was up grading it

TurboGalant
12-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Changing your brake pads and rotors is one of the greatest rip offs out there. I did not want to mess with it when I only had my truck, so I paid Midas an arm and some fingers to put new rotors and "life time warranty" pads on my truck.
I went to a brake class they offer here on base (free), and found out how easy it was to do that work. I went home and rebuilt both front calipers, had the rotors turned, and put in new (organic) brake pads. The guy teaching the class told us to get some of the cheaper pads, because they are cheaper to replace then rotors, which wear out faster if you use the semi-metallic "life time warranty" brake pads.
The hardest part of doing brakes is getting the piston back in the caliper. My dad uses C-clamps for that, pushes it right in.

Doing your own brake work is one of the best ways to save money on your ride. Good luck.

(PS: Open your rear drum brakes - if you have rear drums - and spray them down real good with some brake cleaner. You will be amazed at all the black crud that comes off.)