PDA

View Full Version : Replacing transmission fluid

jhendra83
12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey guys,

Quick question. I searched a tutorial about replacing transmission fluid but couldn't find one. Any of you have the experience and would like to share it? Or is it better off for me to bring it to the dealer and have them replaced it? Second question, is it as easy as replacing engine oil? My G is about to reach 90k so I'd better do something about her tranny's fluid before the nightmare comes around lol.

Thanks all

Remy

pinoyesv6
12-07-2007, 12:36 PM
its pretty easy.

for normal service a drain and fill is sufficient

but i usually service it the way its done in the service manual. u get out more of hte old fluid.

put the car into neutral and put the ebrake up.

disconnect the cooler lines, get another piece of small hose and put that on the nipple on the oil cooler. run those 2 hoses to a container, like a oil drain pan or a big milk jug.

start the car and let the fluid drain out and shut the car down when there isn't any more fluid coming out.

go to the tranny, pull out the drain bolt, let that drain. put the drain bolt back in

pour a little less than 6 quarts in there.

start the car up again, let the oil from the lines drain again. shut the car off when that stops.

pour in a little less than 4 quarts of tranny oil in there.

reconnect the oil cooler lines

start the car, let it idle for 2 mins.

go through the gear selector and shift through all the different gears

put the car back into neutral, with the brake up, check the tranny oil.

adjust as needed.

a piece of advice from me. if you odn't have a drain pan yet, get like a big one. i now have a 15qt drain pain just cuz my 5qt one wasn't sufficient without stopping at every step to empty it.

oh another thing. if you're in the area, rockville mitsu has the cheapest price for a case of tranny oil. i think last time i was there it was like 50 some bucks a case, whereas ourisman wanted like 60 some bucks a case.

cdipier2
12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
hey pinoy could that also apply to the I4? or is it just the V6 way?

pinoyesv6
12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
its really similar for the i4. the drain bolt is in a differnt location and the atf capacity is slightly less than the v6.

redgalant01
12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
i would like to warn ya guys that "sometimes" it mess up the transmission...heard it alot from people and begin one of them so have fun :mrgreen:

9G
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Drain and Fill method is easier and faster.

Just measure how much ATF comes out and add that much to the trans then add more if it was low to begin with.

You measure it when ATF is warm.

I did mine twice to get a redish color out of my trans fluids.

Mine is stop and go traffic and no highway so it makes sense mine goes black within 15-20k miles.

PS: make sure you have enough ATF for the whole procedure.

It's easy.

Eclipse97526
12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Make sure they use Diamond SP III or you will have some serious tranny issues ( check the dealership for the right fluid for your car, i bought mine straight from mitsubishi ) then just make sure you use the flush machine ( to get all the old fluid out of your tourque converter

Eclipse97526
12-10-2007, 04:44 PM
warm or cold shouldnt matter ;) flipp the stick around ;) usally has 2 markings, one for hot, one for cool. Correct way to check tranny fluid from what ive heard is hot thought.

cdipier2
12-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Make sure they use Diamond SP III or you will have some serious tranny issues ( check the dealership for the right fluid for your car, i bought mine straight from mitsubishi ) then just make sure you use the flush machine ( to get all the old fluid out of your tourque converter

Castrol makes one for our cars too. i got 1qt in my trunk right now. it says it can be used for both SPII and SPIII

jhendra83
12-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Gonna do it when the temp gets a bit warmer ;).

Note: Mod might want to put this to the tutorial section.