PDA

View Full Version : 8g Evo brembo brake & rotor conversion (incomplete)

Qs
12-07-2007, 12:13 PM
COMPLETED AND WORKS GREAT!!!!!

now i could of posted this along with the other threads about rear rotor conversion on the G but since the evo has bigger rotors and calipers, and some parts might be different, i figured id make a new one

ok so the stuff i have so far are 4 evo oem rotors and 4 brembo oem calipers.

i just tested the wheel bearings of the 8 g are a direct fit on the vo rotors , now the calipers should fit behind 17 inch wheels , so the front shouldnt be a problem , but the rear... the rear wheel bearings fits in the evo rear rotor but since the drum setup makes it a bit thicker , the brmbo caliper is soo huge its gonna hit the the cylinder and heat shield, so i just remove the setup , put back the oem rear bearing and voila??

, the brake lines? , the hand brake?

little help would be great guys, im gonna search the web and the other forums and see what i find

Qs
12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
since the evo rotor mounts on the galant bearing, the front offset and backspacing should be the same...(i hope)

on the rear

this is the complete assy from aN 8 g

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0250.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0251.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0252.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0253.jpg

so like i said im pretty sure i cant just remove the cylinder and rear drum plate and put the evo rotor in there my offset is gonna be huge

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=60268&highlight=rear+drum+disc+rotor+conversion+swap

is this topic supposed to be the how to ?

didnt help at all...

anyways the rear disc assembly i might need , the caliper brackets too

il get some ss brake lines for better pressure , and evo pads

9G
12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I dont quite understand.

You need the 8G rear disk setup. it has a mini drum brake that will be the parking brake.

Qs
12-07-2007, 07:23 PM
well the evo disk setup should work too.

so i should get the disk assembly ffrom the evo then

lonestar22
12-08-2007, 10:48 AM
yeah u cant use the factory drum plate, u have to use the one that comes from the evo, it bolts on somewhere near the hub

Qs
12-08-2007, 03:55 PM
well im pretty sure the evo has rear axles connected to the driveshaft ( which my g doesnt ) so does that mean i need the parts from a chrysler dodge fwd ?

would be logic

9G
12-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I dont quite understand.

You need the 8G rear disk setup. it has a mini drum brake that will be the parking brake.

qnz
12-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Huh??? You need a galant or eclipse rear disc conversion first. Pick it up from a junk yard. Should not cost you more than $140. Thats what the evo caliper sits attaches to and the rotors sit on.

Using evo rotors + calipers should be as easy as changing your own rotors. If you are having more problems than that, you are doing it wrong.

yeah u cant use the factory drum plate, u have to use the one that comes from the evo, it bolts on somewhere near the hub

galant ones are fine. theyre cheaper and more plentiful.

Qs
12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I dont quite understand.

i already have the 4 evo rotors, so i dont want to buy the whole conversion, just whats missing

Huh??? You need a galant or eclipse rear disc conversion first. Pick it up from a junk yard. Should not cost you more than $140. Thats what the evo caliper sits attaches to and the rotors sit on

yep thats whats missing..

Using evo rotors + calipers should be as easy as changing your own rotors. If you are having more problems than that, you are doing it wrong.

for the front yes, but since im still drums in the back , gotta convert.

so i need this part but from an eclipse 3G

these topics all mention regular disc conversion, or with the brembo calipers

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=60871&highlight=rear+disc+conversion+swap+drum+rotor

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=61302&highlight=rear+disc+conversion+swap+drum+rotor

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=61394&highlight=rear+disc+conversion+swap+drum+rotor

none of these topics gives an actual picture of the conversion kit ,
wasnt able to get one

http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/BigDiskConversion.htm

this says only a little

http://www.club3g.com/forum/automotive-sale-wanted/102718-fs-drum-disc-conversion.html

so the 2 back plates are what i need to complete my kit,

they look a lot like the galant backplates.... , exept for the top part where the cylinder used to mount

qnz
12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
look. its just a normal rear disc conversion. just buy it and you will understand

Qs
12-08-2007, 06:11 PM
look. its just a normal rear disc conversion. just buy it and you will understand

i wont buy what i dont need , the rotors i already have and the calipers too

only need the backplates, unless im mistaken

Gladiator
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
what you have:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0251.jpg

does not look like what a rear disc conversion is:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Chino_3g/for%20sale/IMG_0882.jpg

qnz
12-08-2007, 10:35 PM
thats what I've been saying but this kid is not listening. You can just buy the backing plates for $140

RAZ_76
12-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Geez this guy makes it seem sooo complicated. If you guys out there want to do a swap, Dont read this thread or it will scare you.

Dude front remove stock calipers and lines, both sides.
Install new lines preferbly, ss lines with evo rotors and brembo calipers and you are done.

Rear

If you dont have disc then you need to remove drum set and replace it with new backing plate from a V6 Galant or 2000Eclipse Gt, among others. You DONT need the rotors, calipers or brackets if you are doing the brembo swap. The hand brake line connects to the baking plate that you need to get, the calipers will also connect to that same backing plate, new lines again and evo rotors and you are done. Now bleed the entire system and enjoy. You are ovelwhelmed with too much info bro.
Just get the backing plates and you will understand what everyone is telling you.

Qs
12-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Geez this guy makes it seem sooo complicated. If you guys out there want to do a swap, Dont read this thread or it will scare you.

not true, since u guys are all english u cant see the difference but if one day another frenchie ( like me ) needs some info, he might just understand me info :D

Rear

If you dont have disc then you need to remove drum set and replace it with new backing plate from a V6 Galant or 2000Eclipse Gt, among others. You DONT need the rotors, calipers or brackets if you are doing the brembo swap. The hand brake line connects to the baking plate that you need to get, the calipers will also connect to that same backing plate, new lines again and evo rotors and you are done. Now bleed the entire system and enjoy. You are ovelwhelmed with too much info bro.
Just get the backing plates and you will understand what everyone is telling you.

thx , its pretty much the conclusion i came upon

and yes i tend to sometimes overthink and overanalyze

dont forget all im french , all the flashy names like backplate arent translated as plaquette arrierre ( which is litterraly back plate ) .

anyways thx for the patience

Qs
12-09-2007, 12:56 AM
thats what I've been saying but this kid is not listening. You can just buy the backing plates for $140

kid ...yay i feel young again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <----------------- 26 btw

i might not be a know it all but i aint affraid of asking questions unitl i understand every bit of it, and like i said since i have to translate the parts , its sometimes not easy .

also i should mention this but i studied in accounting ( did a college degree) not mechanics.

so excuse me if i dont know all the parts by name in french and english

laxinwarrior
12-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Now that's a tidbit i'm sure some of the other users were not aware of(me included) Aside from the translation issues I will commend you on the fact that you are doing all the research necessary instead of just asking other people to spoon feed you what you need to know. Good luck on all the work you are about to undertake and don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Just try to be a little patient with us as we get a lot of people asking the same types of questions for the simple fact that they are too lazy to put the effort in themselves, not because of any language barrier.

Gladiator
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
ahh Quebec. Hey, I got a degree in Marketing lol
but yea, no hard feelings if you didn't understand hopefully everything is cleared up for you

Qs
12-09-2007, 05:01 PM
its all good :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkPhoenixVR4
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Quelles roues utilisez-vous avec cette organisation de frein ? Si le décaler est trop, les roues n'éclairciront pas les compass de frein.

Qs
12-10-2007, 12:01 AM
ben la je pensais utiliser mes fast wheels ak mes lexanies

le lip est plus a l'Exterieur qua l'interieur donc mon decaler est positif

jutilise d fastwheels apex 17 inch ak d tire 205-40-17

vite vite ak c mag la mon offset est de environ +35 mm

( translation )

hes asking what wheels will work with this caliper + rotor combo. and then saying that if the offset is too negative the wheels wont clear the calipers

i responded by saying that i was gonna use my 17 apex made by fastwheels , which has the lip on the outside giving it a offset of about +35 mm

should be good for the brembo calipers. anyways the rims might go coz they were on my blue g and since my new one is silver ...

DarkPhoenixVR4
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
They still might not work. If you are getting wheels for the G, make sure that they fit an Evo.

Qs
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
If you are getting wheels for the G, make sure that they fit an Evo.

yeah i know , has long as the offset is around +35 mm from the research i got , there shouldnt be any problem ,

DarkPhoenixVR4
12-10-2007, 06:54 PM
If you are getting wheels for the G, make sure that they fit an Evo.

yeah i know , has long as the offset is around +35 mm from the research i got , there shouldnt be any problem ,

I don't think the offset is enough. I think the spokes need to have the space to clear the calipers.

Qs
12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't think the offset is enough. I think the spokes need to have the space to clear the calipers.

did u even bother to read the topics i posted...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=61302&highlight=rear+disc+conversion+swap+drum+rotor

but maybe they're wrong and your right.... :? why would you think the offset isnt enough, did u try it ?

DarkPhoenixVR4
12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah on an Evo. Not all +35 offset wheels are the same. Most won't clear the calipers unless the spokes come out past the lip a little bit. And when I said the offset isn't enough, I meant as a criteria for choosing a wheel, not that a 35 offset isn't enough. I apologise for any confusion.

Qs
06-01-2008, 11:39 PM
finnaly got my backplates a few weeks ago ,

they guy sent the rear eclipse caliper as well and i dont need em , pm me if u want em

anyway im gonna do the disc sap before the evo swap ( still missing a few things ) so il keep this updated

Qs
08-05-2008, 01:29 PM
tonight is the night , il take some pics for you guys

RAZ_76
08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Good luck dude!

Qs
08-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Ok the backplates from the eclipse 2000-2005 are not the same as the galant v6 and eclipse gt . the galant 2.4 cyl and eclipse v6 (along with the galant v6 ) share the same brake booster and master cylinder

the difference lies in the proportionning valve , i didnt hear from anybody that had to switch those so im wondering if the galant one will be ok .

a new one from a 6 cyl eclipse costs about 180 new at the dealer

anyway i installed my tein ss at the same time and did some maintnance on the car and reinstalled my body kit.

il post the pics and info later this week .

Chino
08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
You don't need to change it.

Qs
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
alright well i tried the car today , and everything feels fine in the steering but theres this sound coming from the rear , like a ratlling of some sort .

also when i press down on the brakes , halt the car at a stop or light. As soon as i press on the gas to start the momentum on the car i can hear a small tump from the rear ( almost like the calipers are sticking )

Qs
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
ok so heres the walkthrough sorry but the pictures will be uploaded later

lets start with the front wheels .

start off by removing the wheels.
then remove the calipers and caliper brackets.
remove the rotors
remove the rubber oilines ( if you install evo lines ) , the brake oil will start draining so be prepared.
insert the evo rotors , ( be sure to check that the front rotor backplates do not rub agaisnt the rotors)
install de front 4 pistons calipers , the holes on the calipers will match the ones on the front backplates.
install the evo oil line and connect it to the calipers .

for the rear .

first off remove the wheels,
to remove the drum you need to screw in 2 bolts ( there are 2 small holes already made for this on the hub if you look closely ) tighten until u can see the drum coming off loose .
remove the whole drum .
now you need to remove the rear backplate which is held by 4 bolts,
then u unscrew the oil line and remove the hand brake wire from the brake assembly

with everything removed you end up with the rear bearing exposed and thats it.

install the eclipse gt or galant v6 backplates ( check the pads of the hand brake if they need to be changed ) . the outer backplates trim which should overlap the rotor needs to be trim , otherwise it will rub agaisnt the rotor and make a hell of a noise.

so just cut the outer trim by half and it will do the trick .
u will need to widen the hole for the hand brake on the eclipse rotors just a bit to fit the G wire.

be sure the compress the hand brake assembly , otherwise it will rub on the inside of the rotor.

install the rear calipers and the rear evo oil lines and connect them

reinstall all 4 wheels,
bleed the brakes and be sure to check the oil level ( dot 3 )

and test it out

here are some pics of the finished results

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0758.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0759.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0760.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0761.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/theeqs/100_0763.jpg

greddy
08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
nice install, get the car painted, and take that wing off.

dwjp90
08-21-2008, 12:16 AM
x2^

Jeffylou87
08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Great job.. Minus the wing, tails, emblem..

Qs
08-21-2008, 12:59 AM
thx but ...

i happen to like my spoiler

it was on my 2002 and its gonna stay on my 03 .

i will be doing my evo engine swap before i paint the car so ...

those tailights are to my liking , im sorry u dont like them ,

and the emblem i happen to like it there

anyway this topic is about brakes, i am WELL aware that the esthetics could be better

RAZ_76
08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Glad you got that install done. Are you going to powder coat or paint those brembos or leave them like that?

Qs
08-21-2008, 01:16 AM
nah il try and get them to look like brand new ones but they seem to have had quite a rough life so far

anyway this topic can be moved to the how to section now

greddy
04-03-2009, 06:07 PM
didn't want to start a new thread, but will I need caliper brackets from an evo or would I just reuse the ones that I have on the Galant?

02redgalant
04-03-2009, 06:43 PM
you need evo caliper knuckle bolts to bolt on to ours..

Qs
04-04-2009, 02:11 AM
to be more precise

the evo brembo calipers are one piece , so the caliper bracket is also the caliper

the bolt passes through the eclipse 3g backplates . so the only thing u need are the evo rotors, evo calipers and eclipse backplate

karn
04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
is it a big difference between some nice premium r1 rotors+pads and brembo brakes. imean our cars are like 140hp :?

9G
04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
no man. no difference at all. i mean you use your brakes when you accelarate so it shouldn't matter at all.

but seriously it does. think about it... ... ... ... ... ...

greddy
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM
to be more precise

the evo brembo calipers are one piece , so the caliper bracket is also the caliper

the bolt passes through the eclipse 3g backplates . so the only thing u need are the evo rotors, evo calipers and eclipse backplate

So I need the eclipse backing plates for the front and back? Or just the back since I have drums there currently?

SPD_FRK
04-04-2009, 12:47 PM
That install looks pretty good man, definitely like the look of bigger calipers sticking out from behind the wheels. What wheel offset did yoou use to work with these calipers anyways? Was it still a +35mm?

I am in the process of having to replace my right rear caliper (bought the car for $500 and needs some work) and have decided to run the Brembo upgrade. I currently do have 4 wheel discs so it seems everything should bolt up correctly? I am also confused on the rotors, if I am buying new rotors I would purchase for the Evo and not the Galant I assume?

Qs
04-05-2009, 03:39 AM
yes you need the eclipse v6 backplates . check out the threads , theres a few models that will fit .

and yes the evo rotors is what u need

greddy
04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
^and I'm assuming the evo's rear backing plate won't work?

Qs
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM
yep caus of the 4wheel drive

03-Galant-ES
04-07-2009, 04:16 AM
I wonder would this fit my offset I think im on +42 right now prolly not right?

Kyleg
04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Interesting, so the USDM must of got the facelift hub carriers, from what I have read then the evo Brembos bolted straight on up the front? So it would have to have the facelift hub carriers, would make sense I suppose, as you did get the 8th gen post 98

Qs
04-22-2013, 02:17 PM
^ dude its straight bolt on no issues whatsovever ,did it on 2 g so far , one 2002 and one 2003 , but u need at least like i said a 35mm offset , anything higher 36mm & + will rub on the rim .

and careful about the kind of brake pad u intend to use for the city , ceramic is nice and all, but makes a hellish screaching sound at each cold stop....

Qs
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
ive noticed theres a few threads about an awd swap, for the information webby , i bought a set of 4 oem mitsubishi evo 8 coilovers directly imported from nihon , its a direct fit in the back on top, and ALMOST a direct fit on the top in the front , u will actually need to widen each hole by 1mm, maybe even less, , so that means each evo 8 coilovers bolts on the top of our 8G no problem. the front bottom bolt holes on the 8g and on the evo are the same, but the evo coilovers come with a double metal plate along side both holes, making the actual bolt not fit because the threading is scraping the second sheet of metal, again for the front bottom holes u just need to widen them by under 1mm and it will install like a glove.

and finnaly that leaves the rear bottom ... which is the important one considering the evo is awd and our g isnt, , so as for the evo 8 backplate , i remember noticing under my g that the 2 holes for the rear crossmember are available on the frame but either plugged or used by something else.

mrg7243
04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Can you post pictures of the install and how much bigger the holes were widened. I can see this offsetting some caster depending on how the holes are enlarged. I thought the evo top mounts were smaller than the G's

Qs
05-30-2013, 04:14 AM
pics are up

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581477638550340&l=30fe657c93

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581477645217006&l=5b9de28607

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581477681883669&l=0532ab1200

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581477701883667&l=ba3ed3ab94

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581477721883665&l=ac92313646

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581477735216997&l=325096164c

like i said its not much, barely visible in the pics, approx 1mm underneath 1/8 for sure

BadderKarma
06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Hey Guys What's Going On. I'm Going To Be Doing My Brembo Swap Very Soon. I'm Looking For Backing Plates At A Mitsubishi OEM Website Because I Can't Find Any And It's Asking If I Want A Backing Plate With Brake Discs Or Without Brake Discs? Which One Should I Get. Also I'm Looking For The Proportioning Valve For The Rear Also, And On the Website I Found Something Called Pressure Metering Valve. Is This The Same Thing? Thanksss

Qs
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
u do not need a proportionning valve for mitsubishi galant 1999-2003

and u need to get the backplates of brake discs