PDA

View Full Version : weird idle

cdipier2
12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
ok this whole issue started several weeks ago. what happens is that when the car is in drive it idles really low ~500 or so and sometimes goes even lower, also it has stalled a few times. the car also does not want to go when i take off, but it will eventually correct itself and shift normally after just fine

the funny part is that it will not do it when the car is cold. i can warm it up and drive it all day long and it wont do it. it only does it when the car is off for a few minutes to awhile. and other thing if when its happening i rev it the engine, it will correct the issue and the idle will go back to normal. does anyone have any idea what could the issue?

cdipier2
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
is there a tutorial on how to clean the throttle body? i was doing some research on here and it could have to do with the throttle body being dirty or possibly the IAC. it seems idle issues are a common problem among galants :roll:

run1206
12-10-2007, 03:52 AM
i was thinking of the IAC motor as well, check that all the connections aren't loose
i wouldn't know of any other possible causes for the low idle :smt017

GUTTAZMITZ
12-10-2007, 04:16 AM
i had a similar problem, i took it to a guy i knew that worked at a mitsu service dept.. he put this throttle body/intake cleaner in my TB area.. it worked like fuckin new, still does..

Eclipse97526
12-10-2007, 04:50 PM
a couple of things i personally would reccomend.

Having the throttle body cleaned, make sure not to get any old ditry solvent down inside the IAT sensor hole, ( these dont go out to often from what ive heard ) but cthey can be clogged while cleaning.

Also try cleaning your MAS mass airflow sensor ( locted at the end of your air intake ) That happened to a friend of mine. his ride ran like Garbage. untill he cleaned this. Use a cotton swab and alcohol

Check and replaced PCV Valve at the top of your valve cover.

Mine still did it.. I took it to a shop, they found a bad fuse somewhere. Wouldnt tell me what fuse or anything =\ charged me 75.00 for a fuse... Well, I checked them all, everything was fine, no blown fuses... But it ran like a champ when i got it back.

cdipier2
12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
ok heres any update. this morning i adjusted the BISS screw. now it idles at what its supposed to idle and it doesnt hesistate like i stated in my first post on this thread. so far so good

however, im still gonna clean the TB. i got one from my job today so i definitely know its not bad at all to take off. im gonna clean it up and then put it on my car, that way i dont damage the one already on my car, and i will have an extra.

what should i use to clean it up? the one i got is not that bad but it does have some sludge. and for the IAC, should i just wipe it off?

Eclipse97526
12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Well what i did was just turn my upside down, so the AIT Sensor was facing upwards. and i just used wire brush and some solvent, it was ( carb Cleaner, or starting fluid or something, break and parts cleaner would work, something that evaporates and dont leave much of a residue.

I spraked it down and let it soat a bit, and then scrubed it up with a wire brush, mine seemed kinda dirty :) but i also cleaned the entire intake mani while i had the engine apart. just keep spraying it and scrubbin it till its all clean and purdy ;) let it sit out for a day in a well ventalated area to make sure everythings evaporated . Just dont let any dludge down in thoes holes, Well i have heard of it clogging.

But honestly, I forgot all about it when i cleaned mine hehe, i sprayed the little holes out tooo : P lol, But im not responsible for you damaging your AIT sensor if you attempt this, i may have gotten lucky, afterwords when i re-read my haynes manual, it specificly stats, make sure nothing gets in the AIT sensor holes. it will clog and / or cause a faulty AIT sensor.

So ya :) hehe, if there are any more questions, ill be more than happy to help if i know ! :)

cdipier2
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
awesome. im gonna take of the iac and then clean the tb. dont want to mess up that sensor too

how do u reccomend cleaning in between the holes, with a cu-tip or something?

cdipier2
12-16-2007, 04:16 PM
ok so i changed the iac, restarted the ecu and it was still going down to 500 sometimes and once in a while had trouble taking off

so then i did the procedure to check the trans fluid and it was low :evil:
yea thats right low. stupid grease monkey mustve not known how to do it right. so i added some of the castrol stuff yesterday and now my car is much happier with me. its alot smoother during idle and take off now

QnzMostWanted
12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
i added Castrol what? hope it was mitsu spec

cdipier2
12-16-2007, 05:21 PM
its the tranny fluid they make for imports. its SP II and SPIII compatible

snarlyG02
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Three days after i bought my car, i was hardly idling high enough to keep the car running and would most often stall out. But when running, the engine shifted normally. i took it back to the dealership and they installed a new throttle body. haven't had a problem since, though my idling is loud and shaky most times.