PDA

View Full Version : cooling fans

wright06jhs
12-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I finally got my GTZ on the road and i have some question/ issues. I drove it today and noticed that my cooling fans didnt turn on at all, and im thinking that is unusual because every car ive had they come on after driving awhile, or sitting at idle.
Was wondering where and if there is a fuse or relay for the cooing fans? Because i know the fans are plugged in, because i done it myself. Also i have no owners manual and i looked in the fuse box under the hood and the cover is not very descriptive. So maybe on of you all can help??

Lata
Chris

Eclipse97526
12-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Cooling fan, i belive that fuze is located under the driver side dash, i could be wrong.

Did you turn on your AC, check your fan, make sure its working first off. And if it dont come on when u turn on your AC, you got a dead fan motor. or a wiring issue if any of that was tampered with. ill do some research on the fan fuse and get back to you, ill find out if there is a relay fuse it uses in combination with the thermostat.

Hope i was of some help, ill get back to you when i pick my car up

wright06jhs
12-10-2007, 11:52 PM
ok ill check to see again on the wires, and the fuses. I didnt see anything wrong but who knows? But as far as i know both fans hasnt came on at all.

VegasMatt
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
There is also a module that controls the fan motors for both the cooling and AC. Make sure the wires going to the unit are good too. I hardwired my fans to come on when the ignition is on so it is automatic.

wright06jhs
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
ok, where would this module be? Ive never dealt with this problem before. Witth cooling fans that is...

VegasMatt
12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
It is attached at the center of the cooling fan. It looks like a mini amplifier.

wright06jhs
12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
well found the relays/fuses and there good. Took a quick look under the hood and the wires all looked good. SO now checking to see if they kick on now, because i unplugged them and plugged them back in? Maybe i didnt have the plug all the way in? I dont kno...

wright06jhs
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
It is attached at the center of the cooling fan. It looks like a mini amplifier.

All the wires look fine on it. Is there any chance that would go bad on it? If so can just that be replaced or does the whole fan need to be replaced?

Eclipse97526
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
hehe turn on your car ;)

go inside ;)

Push the AC button :)

Look under the hood ? the fan working or not ?

The fan will work 100 % of the time if the AC is turned on ;) and everything is correct. If this works. then you can rule out for fan motor bieng bad.

Eclipse97526
12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Is your car over heating ? is your coolant tempature sending unit ok ?

im not sure where the Tempature sending unit is on your car, but it can be checked with a light tester when the key is on. ( on the I4 model ) dont wanna give out wrong advice, warmandSCSI knows everything about 6's :)

wright06jhs
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
hehe turn on your car ;)

go inside ;)

Push the AC button :)

Look under the hood ? the fan working or not ?

The fan will work 100 % of the time if the AC is turned on ;) and everything is correct. If this works. then you can rule out for fan motor bieng bad.

well done all that was advised and no fan :( SO, what to check now?
Oh and also, no my car is not overheating. IT runs fine, theres plenty of coolant in it, ive even drove it a couple miles and nothing wrong but with the fans. They never kick on, and the coolant hand stays at the same spot. Also i check to see if the coolant is circulating in the motor and it is.
I let it run long enough for the thermostat to open and felt the bottom and top hoses.
All seems well, im just not really experienced when it comes to this stuff. Ive done minor motor work, nothing major, so if im doing something wrong tell me..lol

wright06jhs
12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
no one else have any suggestions?
From what i can tell i guess im going to have to replace the fan motor itself, THats the onyl thing i can tell that is wrong. Because it and the ac fans NEVER comes on, and there both ran together. So i guess i can go try to find one at the salvage yard.

wright06jhs
12-19-2007, 05:33 PM
OK, well i came to the point that i never found a fan motor at the salvage yard, and i was at wits end because i have no one to help me...lol So i went to auto zone and the guys there helped me out alot. I bought this tool that they advised tme to get to see if the fans are getting any power, they afvised me that if there not getting any power theres either a short in the wires or the relay is bad. I cam home and checked it and the fans are getting power fine, so i guess that means the wires and relays are good. So i decided to wire the fans up to power to see if they work, and they DID!! So now im at a stopping point. What else is there to be wrong? The guys at autozone said that more than likely the coolant temp sensor was bad. What do you guys think?? I have no idea where the coolant temp sensor is?? Can anyone help me plz
also of course i have the V6

Thanks
Chris

wright06jhs
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I know this thread is old, but i still have not found a solution to this problem...ive checked relays, wiring, fan motors, and changed the coolant temp sensor and no luck at all....no fans at all even when i turn the AC on. Someone said that the ecu could be bad, but if thats true would i be having more problems. My car doenst even over heat...it runs fine.