PDA

View Full Version : 8G to dohc

gimmeagalant
12-13-2007, 10:55 PM
So heres my issue. Ive found a kia sonata dohc head and intake manifold. Yes i know it will bolt up but, besides rewiring the injectors, what else has to b changed as far as wiring and will the evo or sonata ecu just plug right in or do i need to rewire or change the wiring harness. No forum has explained this yet and most forums are starting off inthe right direction but then they turn to shits and giggles arguments.

stewi, yosis sent me to speak with you because i plan to build a complete 4g64 with a sonata head and aftermarket turbo and forged internals.

I.E. - sonata custom build head and intake, evo throttle body, subaru wrx injectors, stage 2 cams, 5 angle race job on head, port and polish, wires, 20g turbo, fmic, 38mm wastegate, blowoff valve, and if someone can answer my ecu question a evo ecu, lightened fidanza flywheel, stall converter, qaife lsd, piggyback, 100shot nos if i left anything out someone, anyone let me know just want to get it done right the first time.

gimmeagalant
12-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh, also ive heard that the 4g64 comes with 12:1 pistons so would bringing the compression onthe piston down to 8.5:1 b 2 far? End result im looking for 28-32psi with a great tune at the dyno.

laxinwarrior
12-14-2007, 01:15 AM
The compression ratio factors in a lot more than just the pistons. No 4g64 has ever come with 12:1 compression. The combination of a stock 4g64 block with the kia dohc head brings you to close to 12:1 compression. Compression factors in the bore, stroke, pistons, and the volume of the compression chamber on the cylinder head. Only after you know all of those other measurements can you know what pistons you will need to obtain an overall CR of 8.5:1. I'm glad to see you took our advice from over on GF and there is still a lot that you need to read up on before undertaking a build like this. :wink:

duh2150
12-14-2007, 07:41 AM
your both wrong kia head and stock block brings you to 8.5:1, laxin your talknig abotu the evo head with the 4g64 block that brings you to like 12:1

the measurements jsut get regular pistons for the galant it will bring you into this 8.5:1 range, i had a post about this, i got bitched at but i learned alot

evo head + stock block= 12:1 or like 11.5:1 something alike that its high

Kia head + stock block = 8.5:1 or like 8.8:1

stock galants come with = 9.5:1

im "gonan" (for everyone in the chat) be doing the build myself here soon

wittydrewy
12-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Kia made a sonata? That is Hyundai.

duh2150
12-14-2007, 08:41 AM
both the same engine kia optima and hyundai sonata, my bad i like saying kia better its way shorter :)
both the same company like bmw is to mini you know

laxinwarrior
12-14-2007, 12:36 PM
your both wrong kia head and stock block brings you to 8.5:1, laxin your talknig abotu the evo head with the 4g64 block that brings you to like 12:1

the measurements jsut get regular pistons for the galant it will bring you into this 8.5:1 range, i had a post about this, i got bitched at but i learned alot

evo head + stock block= 12:1 or like 11.5:1 something alike that its high

Kia head + stock block = 8.5:1 or like 8.8:1

stock galants come with = 9.5:1

im "gonan" (for everyone in the chat) be doing the build myself here soon

Good catch Aaron ... I thought I would never say something like this but thanks for correcting me. :oops: Anyways aside from that the rest of the info I posted is still good and if you guys are serious about doing this build, you would figure out the exact compression specs on the block/head combo you get anyway since we all know that assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

duh2150
12-14-2007, 02:48 PM
:) i told you im gonna be doing this in the future and i dont even have the engine yet lol

better yet i bet you were surprised that "I" was correcting you lol even tho im like 99% of the time wrong :)

underated
12-15-2007, 01:34 AM
hahaha aaron you suprised me lol

you dont need a sonata ecu, you dont need an evo ecu, you have a 03 right?

flash the evo rom into your stock ecu after you do the transmission swap... the stock ecu also controls the auto transmission you will need to some rewiring becaue the pinouts are not the same between the auto ecu and the evo ecu... stewi or goosey can help you with that

i've done the dohc swap there is no rewiring needed beside the tps sensor

gimmeagalant
12-15-2007, 08:08 PM
thanks arron im glad u caught the kia and hyundai deal. But anyway underated i got the ecu flash prog. but 1 of the flashing tools didn't load and i cant seem to get it too. i think theres something wrong with the prog. Also the link for the new tatrix cable was no good if u could help me out with that.

I'm going to do most of the build myself but as far as the engin goes im going to pick up another block and carry to be check at the machine shop along with the head and forged internals and let the pros put the pistons, rods and gaskets all together and build the head for me. Really all ill be doing is installing the motor into the car along with the turbo kit. Once those are done i'm drivin it out to cali for vac.

Oh one other question, ive read everything i can find on the quiefe lsd but cant really get an answer of whether its for man. or auto or both? Input?

I don't want to do the tranny swap until i get back from cali just to make sure im close to home if it shits out on me.

gimmeagalant
12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
so the injectors dont need to be rewired, what got to be rewired on the tps?

bellefontaine187
12-16-2007, 10:13 AM
isnt it a hyundia sonata head? not a kia sonata? riight

QnzMostWanted
12-16-2007, 10:16 AM
isnt it a hyundia sonata head? not a kia sonata? riight

yeah Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima

duh2150
12-16-2007, 10:48 AM
the tb wires are on the front side not the back of the tb, i wanna put my kia tb on there but i dont think it will fit.. or i dont know how to make the bracket for the other side of the tb

underated
12-16-2007, 01:48 PM
no... the wires have to be rearranged inside the clip lol

aaron you can only use a mitsu throttle body because the idle air control motors are not compatible

gimmeagalant when your start the ecuflash program you get an error right? something about a error loading FTD2XX.DLL

the installer launches the driver install for you, if it asks whether or not to install a non-windows certified driver, click continue anyways.

if you dont have the cable connected when you install the program you have to do the following...

goto the directory C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash
Copy the FTD2XX.dll to the C:\windows\system32 directory.

mysticj
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
here is my collection of information about SOHC to DOHC for the 4G64

2.4L SOHC to DOHC info (http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclipse-rs-gs-specific/102450-dohc-head-swap-information-finally.html)