PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Sillyasianz
12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I found a craigslist listing for a 1999 v6 Galant w/ all VIN information removed and no paperwork. Car was donated to a local highschool as a shop car for the students to work on. Interior is 100% intact. Motor is another story.

I was thinking of swapping my I4 into the car or seeing if I can get the v6 running.

But since all VIN is gone, I was thinking of swapping all my parts onto this car and putting all parts with a VIN on it on, on the car. I dont think thats legal, but is it possible? How many VIN tags are there located on our car?

I want to do this cause my car has numerous minor issues and I plan to put JDM sides and rear on the car, but I currently have molded sides and rear and labor to remove that first...will all in all...be over the cost of the new car.

In the end I'll have a better start when I send it to paint, and a better interior since this car has OEM leather tan. 8)

So what do you all think...can I do it...can I get away with it?

fatal1
12-14-2007, 05:58 PM
as far as swapping parts from it i dont see that being a problem buttaking the car is another story im sure unless the school properly documents it...i have no real clue on the actual legality of it though

Sillyasianz
12-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Its cash in hand, no paperwork. I give the school the money. Then thats it.

RedGalant2k1
12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
There are several locations for VINs.

The engine, the driver door, the glovebox, under the trunk lid.

Sillyasianz
12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
all can be swapped onto the new car...except the firewall vin. I was thinking of swapping all other VIN related parts and going to the dmv about that one, or just not worrying about it. Im not going to build up the motor...atleast no time soon, so I think this may just work.

projectGTZ
12-15-2007, 02:12 AM
sounds like the car was stolen or something and donated to the school by the police department or other law enforcement agency or whoever

I would question the legality of them selling to it to be registered as a privately owned vehicle

lonestar22
12-15-2007, 03:30 AM
im sure theres a way to get it tagged
check the honda-tech forums where their cars are stolen and rebuilt every day

projectGTZ
12-15-2007, 03:33 AM
but with all the VIN removed??

underated
12-15-2007, 03:39 AM
i remember reading something about blue-tagging... a friend of mine bought a theft recovery that had been stripped and all the vin #'s were filed off... unless you have the paperwork for the car i dont think you can register it or get insurance for it... when he bough the shell he had to do some type of paperwork at the chp office and then the restamped the vin's on the car but he had paperwork for it from the auction.

i would go by the chp office or call and see what steps are needed to register a car with no vins... just tell them what your trying to do and im sure they will tell you how to do it the right way, cuz the last thing you wanna do is have a suspect car in CA lol they will take it and crush it without a second thought

projectGTZ
12-15-2007, 03:45 AM
i remember reading something about blue-tagging... a friend of mine bought a theft recovery that had been stripped and all the vin #'s were filed off... unless you have the paperwork for the car i dont think you can register it or get insurance for it... when he bough the shell he had to do some type of paperwork at the chp office and then the restamped the vin's on the car but he had paperwork for it from the auction.

i would go by the chp office or call and see what steps are needed to register a car with no vins... just tell them what your trying to do and im sure they will tell you how to do it the right way, cuz the last thing you wanna do is have a suspect car in CA lol they will take it and crush it without a second thought

well said

RAZ_76
12-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I think theres a way, maybe salvage title but you need to go talk to the DMV for sure bro, I remember how strict Cali is so I would go find out first before you go blow you cash.

WarmAndSCSI
12-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't think a single one of my VIN tags (transmission, engine, rear quarter panels, etc) match my car. What's funny is none of it's stolen :lol:

California sucks and you'll have a hard time getting something like that registered.

Sillyasianz
12-15-2007, 05:15 PM
You guys are getting the idea all wrong. I plan to swap all my goodies onto that car, including my dash, which has my VIN. Then swap my doors since it has stickers on it. The cars firewall VIN, if still there, will be removed and painted over. The entire car will be painted white. Then I will send my car to the junk yard after I find all VIN stickers and remove them. Thats my plan.

BUT

If I magically find a VIN on that car, I will carfax it to see if its stolen or not and history. If I can get DMV to give me new VIN tags (new stickers), then I will swap and do it the legal way....

WarmAndSCSI
12-15-2007, 05:30 PM
No, I think we get it, but it's going to be just as hard as proving that items with non-matching VIN tags are indeed not stolen.

dknight3
12-15-2007, 06:49 PM
do they look at the vins when you do inspection or something?

cause in WA nobody has ever looked at my vins, ever.

Sillyasianz
12-16-2007, 07:38 AM
No, I think we get it, but it's going to be just as hard as proving that items with non-matching VIN tags are indeed not stolen.

What items w/ non-matching VINs would you be talking about?

I'd put all my doors on that car. Front and rear bumper will be JDM. I'll remove the fenders to make sure no VIN is there.

Other then that, where would there be non-matching VINs?

bronxbombr
12-16-2007, 08:22 AM
From my experience(not like i use to steal cars back in the days or anything :):) ) but on a honda or moslty any car the Vin is usually on the firewall,some part of the hood, doors, and can be traced thru the engine and tranny number as well.

Sillyasianz
12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
True. Well, I think imma risk it anyway. Im just waiting to see the car still. Hopefully this week.

cdipier2
12-16-2007, 05:39 PM
even if you cant do anything with the vin it would be a good parts car

Sillyasianz
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Bah, i had a parts car galant already. got it for cheap, took all the interior and sold crap off it, then sold it to a junk yard for $300.00. Im done w/ that. I want a car to put my goodies on and v6. Then sell my car as is, w/ oem suspension and oem front bumper for $1000.00. Dont care. lol

Stewi
12-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Vehicle manufacturers have VIN#'s in "secret" places on cars for identification of the bare shell on cars that are stolen/abandoned. I was told this by my local mitsu dealer parts dept guy who is pretty knowledgable. You need to get the school to give you some BS bill of sale, it can just be a receipt of some sort so that u can show DMV