PDA

View Full Version : Can I use?

2002ShadowDeamon
12-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Does anyone know if I can use fiberglass resin to do carbonfiber work? Or does if have to be epoxy resin? Does the fiberglass resin dry clear? Any help would be great! Getting ready to try to do my own interior work. Was hoping that someone could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

RedGalant2k1
12-18-2007, 07:15 PM
No fiberglass resins, you need to make sure the resin works with carbon fiber.

WarmAndSCSI
12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm pretty sure fiberglass resin dries to a off-white color.

ericbla03
12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
If by "fiberglass resin" you mean polyester resin..... technically yes. But make sure you get a CLEAR polyester resin, most of the cheap stuff is amber colored.

Most people use Epoxy resin cause its clear, and its stronger if you do it right. But if you are just using it for overlays, strength and weight savings arent really that important.

My basement workshop is about 55-60 degrees in the wintertime, so it takes my epoxy resin 5-6 hours to gel up . So i like to use clear polyester resin for my CF work cause it only takes like 45 min. to set up at that temperature.

Heres a couple good links for you.....

www.racingcomposites.net
www.fiberglasssupply.com <--------- Great prices, Great customer service!!!

S249A Surfboard Laminating Resin is the polyester resin that i use from fiberglasssupply.com, also make sure to order the surface agent and MEKP (hardener).

WarmAndSCSI
12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
^^ the man has spoken :lol:

fq2691
12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
don't you have to VAC. seal with carbon

Reelax
12-19-2007, 12:18 AM

for structural CF yes (u'd also need an autoclave). for decorative CF no.

WarmAndSCSI
12-19-2007, 12:22 AM

What's the autoclave for? Do you need to sterilize CF? Seriously.

Reelax
12-19-2007, 02:29 AM

What's the autoclave for? Do you need to sterilize CF? Seriously.

it's part of the process for structural CF using pre-preg cloth. it's what manufacturers use for stressed parts. the autoclave is basically a pressurized oven, this activates the pre-preg resin (high pressure and heat) then causes it to set. this process makes the parts much stronger than the hand laid version that is suitable for decorative parts (CF wrapped).

here's an article explaining it better:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/carbonfiber.htm

ericbla03
12-19-2007, 05:44 AM

you dont need to use a vac. But if the part has a lot of complex curves and sharp edges, vacuum bagging it helps the fibric "hug" the curves intil the resin cures. kinda like a 3 dimentional clamp. Otherwise youll have a problem with the wet fabric lifting up on the edges. In most cases though, spray glue with help with that problem, if you dont have the vacuum bagging supplies.

2002ShadowDeamon
12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
ok, the fiberglass resin i was looking at is the one that sells at Wal-Mart and Autozone. Is that a polyester resin? And will it work? Sorry if i have a lot of questions. I just want to make sure that i start off right.

QnzMostWanted
12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
the fiberglass resin from autozone is yellow

2002ShadowDeamon
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
damn!