PDA

View Full Version : strobes

OgRe
08-15-2002, 02:22 PM
I want to get strobes for my headlights and back tail lights. I wanted to know where the best place is to get them and if I can just connect them to a toggle switch. Thanks for the help

Shylynn
08-15-2002, 09:12 PM
my fiance got some cheap ones from auto zone they come with lil plastic pieces that u slip over the light to get different colors, blue, green, red, and purple, they are pretty bright too, and have a controller to control how fast they blink. hes had them since last summer and they are still going strong. also check ebay

mrjaydeeone
08-15-2002, 10:21 PM
I got the ones that shylynn is talking about from EBAY..they are made by Hiper...you can see them in my pics below...they are in my corner lights

RedGalant2k1
08-16-2002, 07:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OgRe)</div><div class='quotemain'>I want to get strobes for my headlights and back tail lights. Â*I wanted to know where the best place is to get them and if I can just connect them to a toggle switch. Â*Thanks for the help</div>

AutoZOne, Pepboys, or Murrays (For Midwesterners), they all sell strobes which will be sufficient for headlights or taillights.

And they 'should' come with a toggle switch, I'd suggest tapping into the power from the interior fuse panel, specifically the cigarette lighter fuse. Then ground it on a silver nut on the drivers side behind the carpet near the center console.

In the headlights:

If you look at your headlights you'll see a hole right where my strobe is.

First things first, you'll need to remove the headlights so you can gain access to the rear of the drain hole, this is a good time to clear your corners as well (refer to the Clear Corner Tutorials for more info).

Anyway, after you have the headlights out, you'll see a white plug/cap remove that and you can slide the wires for the strobes through. Make sure your doing this from the INSIDE of the headlight so leave slack (like 6" of wire on the strobe itself), pull the wire snug, but not tight. Using a pick or something sharp poke a hole in the white cap big enough to fit the wire through. It keeps the strobe in place. proceed to running the wires into the interior.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pf9f8cc6ef4acc63ff4231197e9aaf4dc/fd657c63.jpg

Attach the Ground Wire here (the nut in the red circle):

Simple as pictured, just pull back the carpet near the center console and you'll see the nut, remove the nut, insert wire, replace nut.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pf1171ccbd82fa81db39a5c60c65f11ca/fd657c62.jpg

Attach the Power here (Either fuse works, on is the cigarette lighter one is the windshield wiper fuse):

Same, its simple. Strip wire, remove either fuse (just one), wrap wire around fuse (or use specialized wire connector), reinsert fuse. Install switch, turn on. Have fun.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p834667e1f73bd2f80c534371bc434bff/fd657c60.jpg

Be sure also to have the following:

Wire Crimpers
Crimp Caps
Wire Ties (Hold the wires/wire loom in place)
15ft. Flex tubing/Wire loom (Dress up the engine bay and conceal the wires)
50ft. 20ga (or higher) speaker wire

Have fun and enjoy your strobes!!

OgRe
08-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped, I installed my strobes yesterday and they are the shiznit. Big help with the pictures provided, made the job a lot easier than i thought. Thanks again guys

RedGalant2k1
08-17-2002, 05:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OgRe)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped, Â*I installed my strobes yesterday and they are the shiznit. Â*Big help with the pictures provided, made the job a lot easier than i thought. Â*Thanks again guys</div>

Glad to help out :thumbsup: and glad my pictures helped you out https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

mrjaydeeone
08-18-2002, 01:10 AM
I have mine the same as red galant, cept I stuck mine into the same hole as the parking light bulb is in..I'll take pics...the wiring was done the same though

BGR
10-21-2002, 11:33 PM
I bought some $12.99 'strobes' from Pep Boys. Man those things suck. They flashed about as fast as my hazard lights. That ain't no strobe light! Am I mistaken? Are all car strobe lights like this? I'd gladly pay more for some real strobes like those pace cars have. That's what I thought I was buying. To top it off, I had the positive and negative on the battery just testing how they looked and all of a sudden one light was flashing slower and slower than the other one and then stopped working all together.

I got a refund and used the money to buy something else.

pinoyesv6
10-21-2002, 11:53 PM
i noticed that about mine too BGR. uhm i know my friend paid 30 for his strobes, still finding out where he got his but is flashed much faster than mine did...

BGR
10-21-2002, 11:57 PM
JCWhitney sells them for over $30 but I don't want to chance it. Yeah, let me know what you find out. Are they faster or much faster? At least 20 flashes a second. Not this 1 flash a minute crap. :roll:

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 12:02 AM
JCWhitney sells them for over $30 but I don't want to chance it. Yeah, let me know what you find out. Are they faster or much faster? At least 20 flashes a second. Not this 1 flash a minute crap. :roll:

first of all did u adjust the knob on the strobes? just making sure. but uhm as for speed its significantly faster than mine were and tehy weren't random flashes. one side would flash then the other and back. more sequential.

BGR
10-22-2002, 12:38 AM
Of course I did. I was exaggerating about 1 flash a minute, although on the lowest setting, it wasn't that far from it. I had to double check when it was on the highest setting.

RedGalant2k1
10-22-2002, 12:49 AM
Of course I did. I was exaggerating about 1 flash a minute, although on the lowest setting, it wasn't that far from it. I had to double check when it was on the highest setting.

what gauge wire did you use? anything larger than 22 gauge is pointless. all the current will dissapate in 20+ gauge wires.

I have APC Strobes that i bought at Advance AutoParts in Normal, IL. for $15. If i was you i'd look for those.

BGR
10-22-2002, 01:08 AM
What gauge? I don't know. It was what ever that it came with. Not quite down with the guage vinacular but it was skinny. Slimmer than the wires that are in the fuse box area I'd say.

It was this piece of junk:

http://images.andale.com/f2/130/122/7980913/1024719437397_Strobes___Full.jpg

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 01:19 AM
yea bgr thats the one i have. that picture lies, it really comes with 5 different colors, they forgot the purple gel cap lol.

but dave, i think you misunderstood bgr. he just opened up the package and hooked it str8 to the battery. kinda like if you were testing it.

im still debating if i should put some in the new headlights. i mean im getting neons, and the add on the city lights. and maybe strobes...i dunno kinda seems like overkill to me...hmmm

BGR
10-22-2002, 01:33 AM
I know. I planned on using the purple cap to fit over my Phillips HID's as an alternative to changing the color of the HID. Even though they blind on coming traffic, if I could change the color of them, I sure would like to use them again and just adjust the beam.

I found these HID caps but they cost $100.

http://www.accordcompany.com/images/howto/howto-aquacaps4.jpg
http://www.accordcompany.com/images/howto/howto-aquacaps3.jpg

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 01:37 AM
you think it would change the color and hold up to the heat? i'd hate to see you ruin your HID bulbs or something because the gel caps didn't hold up. nonetheless, im pretty sure i can find my purple ones and i'll be glad to send em over. its just gel caps, im pretty sure a regular stamp can send that...

BGR
10-22-2002, 01:45 AM
No that's cool bro. They didn't fit. Plus, they would melt.

Man, I just got this in my email:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mailbox.hrnoc.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)

I'll find a distributor for these. Gotta keep search. Well, I have the link at home but I'm currently at work. That guy sells them for $100. I want to get them for a little less if possible.

pinoyesv6
11-06-2002, 11:34 PM
ok bgr i think i found it. my friend said to try out the strobe lights made by street glow or lite glow. they strobe pretty fast. but uf you want to really customize your strobe, you can buy the controller so you can control the speed and the type of strobe you get...

Tiptronic
11-07-2002, 12:18 AM
the ones i have worked fine for about three weeks, then they went on the fritz. one would flash normal, and the other would flash like it had terets syndrome or something. not sure if mine is a wiring problem, since i have the strobes and the neons under my dash hooked to the same switch. who knows, i guess it gives me something to do now that the weather is getting cold.

pinoyesv6
11-07-2002, 12:42 AM
the ones i have worked fine for about three weeks, then they went on the fritz. one would flash normal, and the other would flash like it had terets syndrome or something. not sure if mine is a wiring problem, since i have the strobes and the neons under my dash hooked to the same switch. who knows, i guess it gives me something to do now that the weather is getting cold.

what kind are they...just for reference purposes?

Tiptronic
11-07-2002, 05:55 AM
i thought they were APC, but after looking at that picture that rich put up, theyre the exact same

blakstarz73
11-07-2002, 09:03 AM
If you want the real thing like the cops have, go for the Whelen strobe lights, here is link to the best deal I've found so far on them:

http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/specials.htm?552 ('http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/specials.htm?552')

Wintergalant
11-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Try www.galls.com they might or might not sell to everyone but it dont hurt to try these are the real strobes like on police cars!!

UCPhotog
11-09-2002, 07:03 PM
Your best bet for real, high intensity, long lasting, etc. etc strobes are from Whelen Engineering in Chester, CT.

Whelen will sell to anyone, and while I haven't found a website for them, just call (860) 526-9504 (I was a firefighter 2 towns over and had the best light set up in my 5.0) and ask for a catalog.

The lights that go into the headlights and taillights are called hide-a-ways. They are available in a few colors (clear for the back is best) and require a separate power supply.

I noticed someone mentioned Galls. They supply the emergency service personel, and you can request a catalog or just order from their site. From what I remember, the only thing they limited sales to were badges.

They're not cheap, but the best of anything never is.

Good luck

Marc

Wintergalant
11-09-2002, 11:06 PM
I believe there website is www.whelen.com

Khopari
03-13-2003, 11:58 AM
ty for the info red galant,, can some moderator post this into FAQ,, section this sounds like tutorial to me...

oh yea also,, anyone has any idea on how to do the strobes in the tail light,, like in the revese light...

mrjaydeeone
03-13-2003, 12:15 PM
u just gotta remove the tails, and pace bulb...when I did corners with strobes I just tucked the strob in the hole next to the corner bulb...I'd say do same for rear, unless you wanna drill it in..I gotta do myreverse soon too...and I'm gonna just stck it nex to the reverse light bulb... I hate drilling holes in my car

Khopari
03-13-2003, 12:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrJaYdEeOnE)</div><div class='quotemain'>u just gotta remove the tails, and pace bulb...when I did corners with strobes I just tucked the strob in the hole next to the corner bulb...I'd say do same for rear, unless you wanna drill it in..I gotta do myreverse soon too...and I'm gonna just stck it nex to the reverse light bulb... I hate drilling holes in my car</div>

aight ty,, but i aint gone drill no holes, in that tail,, casue i might sell em when i get new jdm or the clear,, once,, and i know there is alot of buyer waiting for my 02 tail,,,,

seattlesuperman
03-13-2003, 05:19 PM
these are sweet where can you get these at?