PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Antenna messin up

BEAST
12-26-2002, 11:04 PM
It is really cold here. It just snowed today and since yesterday my antenna has really been jacked up. It will not go down. I don't know if it is frozen or what but the motor runs and tries to pull the antenna down but it makes like this grinding noise. It has worked fine other than this except sometimes it wouldn't go down all the way. About 1.5 inches stuck up. I tried to help the antenna collapse by kinda pushing on the top but that didn't help. If there is a cable or something that pulls the antenna down, it felt like it had snapped because it was like nothing was pulling it. I able to push the antenna down a little though but it was because of what I did i didn't "help" the motor pull it at all.

Mazarin
12-27-2002, 12:52 AM
Mine's been busted forever. I'm looking to pull that sucker out, fiberglass over the hole, and her the little antenna over the rear window(like the VWs have)

Anyway, I don't really know what could be wrong, but that have OEM antenna masts on eBay for around $30 last I checked...

manybrews
12-27-2002, 07:01 AM
if its grinding, its shot.
you will more than likely need an entire assembly.

jluv97
12-27-2002, 04:29 PM
that was the begining of the end for mine. Once it stuck in the cold, then it stopped working (could still hear the motor spinning). Replacing it is a bitch too!

seth98esT
12-27-2002, 04:36 PM
yep mines been stuck forever too. now its starting to take shape to a slight curve. hehe i like your idea maz, but im probably too scared i would mess it up while fiberglassing

BEAST
12-27-2002, 11:36 PM
How much are we looking at to buy the entire assembly. and also approx. how much would labor be. I may just do it myself or just buy an antenna that doesn't go down.

unclesteve
12-28-2002, 04:42 AM
i had to replace mine not too long ago. dealer charges around $65.00. it only takes about 15 minutes to put in, it's real easy.

2True
12-28-2002, 06:55 AM
that was the begining of the end for mine. Once it stuck in the cold, then it stopped working (could still hear the motor spinning). Replacing it is a bitch too!

Ditto :wink:

rfpa1
12-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi:

I had the same problem last winter. I learned the hard way.

1) clean the antena with WD 40 when is fully extended. This should help with the ice build up. Also will allow it to come all the way down. I do this once every 3 weeks or if really cold every week.

2) if you have left it doing the sounds that you mentioned, probably the plastic end is now worn down. You need to replace the antenna mast.

Go to ebay and get one. I think I saw one the other day. If not email me and I will try to find the name of the person who sold me one.

It take a little bit of time, but is cheaper than buying a new mitsu one or even another replacement. By the way, I tried 4 replacements and neither had the right terminals, so it was a pain.

3) once you get the mast replaced, oil it once in a while with 3 in one oil and it should last you.

BEAST
12-31-2002, 01:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mazarin)</div><div class='quotemain'>Mine's been busted forever. I'm looking to pull that sucker out, fiberglass over the hole, and her the little antenna over the rear window(like the VWs have)</div>
How hard would this be? Got any instructions on how to do this? How long might it take to do. Could I use bondo instead of fiberglass?

cantbeatmy97
01-01-2003, 03:51 PM
does n e 1 know if they make the rear window w/ the atenna in it like the 8g does i have a power 1 too it goes up hard sometimes and down i think it has to be grease but maybe also its water gettin in there and freezin i have no problem when its above freezing.id rather get the window w/ the antenna in it

queball
01-03-2003, 07:36 PM
I put a brand new past on paid 40$ for it from Mits and it worked fine for about 4 months then, It started all over again its doesn't go down all the way it sticks up like a 1/2 inch ive cleaned it and done every thing i was told but nothing works..

manybrews
01-03-2003, 07:40 PM
just go buy a cheap-o whip antenna from any decent auto parts store.

queball
01-03-2003, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>just go buy a cheap-o whip antenna from any decent auto parts store.</div>
and take away from the luxury, ill stick with my automatic antana i never listen to any thing but cd's any ways so its never up.. besides my last car that had a chepo antena the damn thing broke off 2 times in the carwash and once on the freeway strinking a guys windsheild and busting it..

queball
01-03-2003, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfpa1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi:

I had the same problem last winter. Â*I learned the hard way. Â*

1) clean the antena with WD 40 when is fully extended. This should help with the ice build up. Also will allow it to come all the way down. I do this once every 3 weeks or if really cold every week. Â*

3) once you get the mast replaced, oil it once in a while with 3 in one oil and it should last you.</div>

Thats a big NO you nver put oil on a power antenn all you do then is attracts dirt and dust to stick to it then the antena goes up and down putting all the dirt into the joints and every thing thats the most common reason a antena fails..

pinoyesv6
01-03-2003, 09:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mazarin)</div><div class='quotemain'>Mine's been busted forever. I'm looking to pull that sucker out, fiberglass over the hole, and her the little antenna over the rear window(like the VWs have)</div>
How hard would this be? Got any instructions on how to do this? How long might it take to do. Could I use bondo instead of fiberglass?</div>

bondo would work too but fiberglasing will be stronger i believe. they make smal repai kis that u can use too.

as for the antena intallation, kinda easy. but u gotta tear up ur interior to do it. instalation of the antena is easy remoe the headlner, dill a hole and bolt on. the running of the wire would be the hardest part. my suggestion, just run it up to here the old antenna wire is and hook it up there since they areboth located inthe rear of that car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cantbeatmy97)</div><div class='quotemain'>does n e 1 know if they make the rear window w/ the atenna in it like the 8g does i have a power 1 too it goes up hard sometimes and down i think it has to be grease but maybe also its water gettin in there and freezin i have no problem when its above freezing.id rather get the window w/ the antenna in it</div>

i believe the premium models had a diversity antenna and a power one too. nonetheless, places like radio shack sells kis to put on any car window. the hardest part is running the wire and i don't think it should be too hard

queball
01-04-2003, 07:09 PM
if you have the window already in the rear window like most galants that came stock with the infinity radio you can buy an adapter to make that plug fit on a aftermarket radio, its that little gray wire behind the stereo with the smaller plug on it radio shack has a plug that slips over the little one to make it bigger but I've found that the rear window antena doesn't work that great..

bushler97ES
01-19-2003, 08:43 PM
my antenna got stuck in the up position a while ago, i went to my dealer and they said it was a broken antenna shaft, it was like $80 to replace they told me, i just went to the auto store and got a rubber one (doesn't look bad) and took out the old one and put in the new one, it was like $8, i don't have the window antenna hooked up cause i'm to lazy to splice the wire in my stereo for it but by itself it works fine, i dunno if thats what you want to do but it worked for me, hope i helped!

bstnsportsfan
01-20-2003, 02:22 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Seems like a broken antenna is a common problem. Mine is broken also, broke back in july or august. The motor works, it just doesnt retract my antenna, so its stuck extended all the time. I just left it and forgot about it. But its funny how a lot of us have this problem. And I live in South Florida, so the cold is Not a factor!

Kain
01-20-2003, 03:31 PM
When I bought my Galant some fool had already broken off the antenna (the Galant used to belong to a middle school teacher, and she was apparantly a bit unpopular). A Toyota antenna mast is like $15 so I was really shocked when the Mitsu dealer had the balls to ask $65 for thiers (and it seems this was not just my dealer, that's actually the going rate aparently). So, I went on the cheap and bought a $9 little black stubby antenna and put it in the hole. Looks ugly, and sticks out to the side a bit, but it was cheap. One of these days if I get really ambitious I'll put the power antenna back in or find a regular one OEM whip antenna that does not stick off to the side. I almost always listen to CDs so I can't justify the $60ish for a telescoping bit of metal with a plastic cord inside.

queball
01-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Well i fixed mine it must have had some gunk stuck in it or something I just gave it a hard shuve and it poped down the rest of the way and now it works like brand new again it flet like i was hung up on something or just had a pile of crap around it inside..