PDA

View Full Version : hard to get it started

momo21
12-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Well this past semester, MWF i left at around 7AM to school, on tuesdays and thursday i left my house to school at around 10am.

My galant gave me problems on tuesdays and thursdays, started perfect on M-W-F. No idea. You could hear it trying to start, so i dont think it was the battery. So i took it to my mech, he dident know what it was causing so he ended up changing some old parts that could contribute to the problem. It helped for a week or two, so it started again... and ever since i have just dealt with it.. To turn the G on, i have to shake it side ways :), put it in neutral and move it back and forth.... ahh painful when it is hot as balls outside( in live in FL and no it is not cold lol). the current battery is smaller than the stock one... i have been thinking that the battery isent giving enough to turn it on... maybe??? let me know if anyone has experienced this

hopefully someone can help.

mko
12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Battery could be the reason if it didnt have enough charge in it, but then it wouldnt turn, or turnt slowly. So my best guess would be distributor - check the cap, wires..

JEFFRYKIBE
01-09-2008, 11:15 AM
My car did that for almost a year before i got it figured out. i changed the altenator, battery, cables almost everything till i noticed the starter case cracked in half replaced that and no probs since

momo21
01-12-2008, 01:10 PM
My car did that for almost a year before i got it figured out. i changed the altenator, battery, cables almost everything till i noticed the starter case cracked in half replaced that and no probs since

i dont know shit about cars... starter case?

4-G-rim
01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Get your battery tested for voltage output and cold cranking amps and if its a reputable place they can see if the battery may have a bad cell in which case needs to be replaced anyways. Its "ok" to use a smaller battery as long the cold cranking amps are close relatively close to OEM specs. I am using alot smaller battery's in my 7g and my Galant VR4 compared to stock, but their cold cranking amps are enough for the car.

If the battery is good and healthy and your problems still continue the next step is to check the starter. If you can pull out the starter yourself (under the intake manifold on the back of the motor where the transmission bell housing and the engine meet) then you could take it to Advanced auto parts, autozone, pep boys, napa etc etc that can check and test the starter. They will check if the starter cranks and engages.

If the battery and starter check out and the car still having a hard time for the car to start you might need a tune up if you haven't done a tune up before. A tune up consist of changing the spark plugs (Use only NGK) spark plug wires, distrubutor cap, distributor rotor, new fuel filter, new air filter and a fresh oil change if needed. I would also get some fuel system cleaner and some fuel injector cleaner (Techron is the best) and if you are confident to do it yourself , I would get some throttle body cleaner and get the carbon buildup cleaned up in the throttle body and intake manifold area reduced.

Take these steps and it SHOULD improve and/or fix your issues. If you are still having the same issues then there might be more issues that require more in depth checking.

momo21
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
thanks for the info. Just that not knowing about car stuff and having to take it to places hurts my pockets, because most places ripp you off.

EvoTheDon
02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
not knowing about car stuff and having to take it to places hurts my pockets, because most places ripp you off.

Quoted for truth.