PDA

View Full Version : Car stalls at idle...

6G72Galant
12-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeh another one of these threads. I searched and saw several other threads with similar problems, but none were the exact problem i have.

Whenever my car is in Park, and i have the defroster running, i hear a click from under the hood and my idle will bounce back and forth from 1200 rpms to 600rpms. Sometimes the engine will stall completely after doing this a couple of times. Since ive installed my CAI, the engine is stalling alot more whenever im running my defroster. Whats going on? It only does this in defrost mode and when the car is in Park. When in Drive, ive never had this problem. Any clue? :? Thanks.

wright06jhs
12-28-2007, 06:57 AM
try and check the relay for the defroster itself, because if im not mistaken theres one for the defroster alone. I know the defroster does pull alot of power. In my Neon, and my galant when i turn the defroster on at night it dims the lights and stuff. So maybe your relay is trying to go out??

Maybe im wrong all together, but maybe i helped some

6G72Galant
12-28-2007, 07:04 AM
try and check the relay for the defroster itself, because if im not mistaken theres one for the defroster alone. I know the defroster does pull alot of power. In my Neon, and my galant when i turn the defroster on at night it dims the lights and stuff. So maybe your relay is trying to go out??

Maybe im wrong all together, but maybe i helped some

Well ive also noticed that when i hear that click under the hood, my headlights do dim a little, and thats when the rpms begin to bounce. How exactly do i check my relay? Is it in the fuse box under the hood? :smt102

wright06jhs
12-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Well i think the only way you can check a relay is to replace it. Atleast thats what ive been told when ive had problems with them. But if your defroster is coming on there shouldnt be anything wrong with it, unless getting ready to go out?
To me from re-reading your first post it seems like your car is having problems supplying the power it needs to operate the defroster, so it dies at idle. This could most likely be a power problem like, battery/alternator, but i dont see what your new CAI would have to do with it.

And yes the relay for that would more than likely be under the hood, amoung other fuses.
Also take a look in your owners manual for FUSES and RELAYS it will tell you exactly which one it is.

duh2150
12-28-2007, 07:38 AM
did you disconnect the battery?

i had this problem when i went 5 speed, i still stall wit hthe ac on lol, if you can turn on car and let sit for liek 30 min if it levels itself out rev it up to like 1.5 and and itll bob, for me the computer had to relearn, and it fixed itself

wright06jhs
12-28-2007, 07:41 AM

i had this problem when i went 5 speed, i still stall wit hthe ac on lol, if you can turn on car and let sit for liek 30 min if it levels itself out rev it up to like 1.5 and and itll bob, for me the computer had to relearn, and it fixed itself

This could be true, but he said it only does it when he turns the defroster on....

6G72Galant
12-28-2007, 02:33 PM

This could be true, but he said it only does it when he turns the defroster on....

I forgot to mention that it does it with the AC on also. When i installed my CAI i did unplug the battery. And after plugging it back in i let it idle for about 20 minutes. But this problem with the AC and Defroster has been going on for quite some time now. And it got a little worse since installing the CAI. Maybe it is my alternator? I had my battery replaced about 1.5-2 years ago. And i had it checked over the summer, and it was fine. :?

duh2150
12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
unplug it again turn on ac and defroster and then let idle.., trying never hurt no one :),.. sometimes, i know someone is gonig ot bitch at me about keeping the ac on and starting it up, but jsut do it it might fix it

WarmAndSCSI
12-28-2007, 08:46 PM
My guess is it's something with your IAC. It has a separate map for when the A/C compressor is engaged. Could always be a compound problem, so check for vacuum leaks after the MAF and clean the throttle body plate.

RedGalant2k1
12-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Sounds like the a/c clutch bearing is wearing, maybe even loose.

WarmAndSCSI
12-28-2007, 08:59 PM

If you're saying the increased load is varying, then yeah. Except you'd definitely notice belt squealing with a worn bearing.

RedGalant2k1
12-28-2007, 11:43 PM

If you're saying the increased load is varying, then yeah. Except you'd definitely notice belt squealing with a worn bearing.

Yes and no. I've seen some a/c clutchs fail that had no belt noise whatsoever. I've seen compressors fail with no indication. Its most likely either a a/c clutch or compressor issue. Its a common cause of poor idle when under load of the a/c.

The IAC motor would be much more consistent of a idle issue than just under A/C load.

6G72, inspect your A/C Clutch, see if its loose. Have you ever charged the A/C system?

SkylineG1
12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
This happened to me too. I replaced the battery and made sure that the terminals were taken care of so that I would not have acid build up on them.

6G72Galant
12-29-2007, 08:55 AM

Yes and no. I've seen some a/c clutchs fail that had no belt noise whatsoever. I've seen compressors fail with no indication. Its most likely either a a/c clutch or compressor issue. Its a common cause of poor idle when under load of the a/c.

The IAC motor would be much more consistent of a idle issue than just under A/C load.

6G72, inspect your A/C Clutch, see if its loose. Have you ever charged the A/C system?

Umm...whats my A/C Clutch? :lol: Ive never charged the A/C system. Every winter, i run the A/C for about 5-10 minutes once a week. :wink:

Whats the IAC motor? While i was installing my CAI, i did notice some carbon buildup on my throttle body. It was kinda black around the edges of the flap, but there was also a lite coating of carbon too. Would that really be causing my problems though? Im going to go to Advanced Auto today, any suggestions on what i should pick up to clean my TB? Ive heard of people using a Q-Tip dipped in some TB cleaner and just scrubbing the inside of the TB. That method any good? :?

Heres my list of things to do today

1- Disconnect the battery, reconnect and let the A/C or Defroster run while the car idles
2- Clean my TB
3- Clean my battery terminals
4- Check for leaks

***I DO NOTICE THE CAR MAKES A "SIGH" WHEN I TURN IT OFF***
I dont know if that means anything or not. Its almost sounds like air is escaping from somewhere, but i only hear that when i turn the car off. Ima try to get some video.

Fishboy55
12-29-2007, 09:38 AM
The "sigh" when you shut the car off is normal with an aftermarket intake.

6G72Galant
12-29-2007, 01:12 PM

Wow. :lol: Thanks man. I read before that usually that was an indication of a leak. Tomorrow when i get to work, im going to fix all these little problems. Been too busy to do anything today. :roll:

RedGalant2k1
12-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, if you listened closely you'd hear it with most factory intakes too.

djflex167
12-30-2007, 07:20 AM
i have a 1999 8G LS V6, when i turn the ac on while running its ok, but when i stop at a redlight, the rpm drops to much sometimes it drops to 0 and the car turns off!! i don't get it!! do you think the alternator have something to do with this?? or is that normal on a V6 galant? thanks

duh2150
12-30-2007, 07:40 AM
i get more of a "kuhh"sound