PDA

View Full Version : **New issue**... probably tranny problem?

brandon
12-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Hey guys,

Well I had this problem once before... it went away, and now it's started up again.

It only happens occasionally (a few times while I'm driving maybe once or twice a week): the check engine light comes on while the car revs a little higher and the transmission clicks and the car jerks while moving at any speed... then goes off no more than 3-4 seconds later.

Would a tranny problem trigger the Check Engine Light?

Could it be a dirty throttle body?

Could it be the MAS?

Could it be a dirty air filter?

Could it be the spark plugs?

I'm thinking it's maybe one of those but not too sure which it would be. Any thoughts or ideas or scenarios would be helpful. It sucks because the light doesn't stay on... and I can't have it checked. I'm gonna change out my plugs over the weekend I hope, and probably get a new air filter, and make sure that all my connections are nice and tight on my CAI... and then try cleaning out the throttle body.

The only thing left would be the tranny... and let's all hope it's not that...

Thanks guys.

manybrews
12-27-2002, 06:03 PM
yep, a tranny can trigger a check engine light.

however, if you DO get a trans code in the PCM, ignore it.. you need to access the TCM (trans computer) to really find out whats going on. the PCM codes are far to generic, and may take on an improper diagnostic route.

brandon
12-30-2002, 08:17 AM
Well, something new I noticed...

I'm down to thinking it's either the tranny or a fuel problem. The car now every few minutes while driving, will hesitate or kind of kick back, almost like it's thinking about running out of gas... It also does it while idling as well, making me think it isn't the tranny, it must be some sort of fuel issue.

So... I'm gonna try and swap out the fuel filter... what else should I check? Do I just follow the fuel lines from the filter to make sure everything is in check?

THanks again!

Chemibear
12-31-2002, 07:17 PM
I've had a similar problem with my 97G, turns out it was low on trans fluid. I noticed it would only happen when the transmission was 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quarts low. Check fluid level HOT and in NEUTRAL, and by all means if it is low, check for leaks (especially oil cooler lines that run under the battery!).

brandon
01-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey again,

Checked the tranny fluid level... AHHH It's way low so I'm gonna take care of that... now I just gotta hope all this snow melts so I can check for leaks....

Thanks guys.

brandon
01-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Well, I refilled the tranny fluid but the problem still persists... and now it's gotten even worse.

Driving yesterday... from a stop it would still hesitate and kick back, and then drive smooth for a bit, and then start shuddering rather harshly. If I let off the gas during the shuddering, it goes away... but once I pick up speed and get on the gas a little more it comes right back.

Engine problem or tranny problem? Any thoughts or opinions? If you think it's a tranny problem, does it sound serious? Shifting through gears has always been fine before (no real hard or slow shifts), this has all come on kind of recently. Could it be because the fluid was so low?

Thanks again!

brandon
01-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?