PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

redlobster
12-27-2002, 07:59 PM
I know car insurance varies by state and age and all, But my insurance is killing any of my chances for modding this car out!
I'm 18 years, live in kansas, drive a 96 galant ES, im under my dads plan, im on full coverage and pay 1,000 dollars every 6 months!
i can barely afford to pay for gas, insurance, while still going to school!
Also im insured by Allstate. Am i getting ripped or is this normal?
thanks

2True
12-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately, yes that's normal. When I first got to Alaska and bought the G my 6 month premium was about 2,000. That's $300 a month, OUCH! It sux for sure but as you keep payments going it will drop and drop and drop. If you were not under your dads plan, beleive me it would be a whole lot more... Just keep a good driving record :wink:

roman
12-27-2002, 08:59 PM
upstate NY here and mine is on my dad's insurance policy as well and its about 1500 a year :roll:

BEAST
12-27-2002, 11:45 PM
I think my monthly rate for premium I believe is around $144.00. I am under my parent insurance too. I live in Johnson County Kansas. I don't know who we go through though. I am thinking American Family.

redlobster
12-28-2002, 12:16 AM
damn i dont know how im gonna make this payment and my car payments. :-( my free time is definetly gonna involve a lot of sitting in front of the tv eating home cooked meals for at least the next 2 months :-(

BEAST
12-28-2002, 12:51 AM
Don't you have a job? I know it's a scary word to some. If so can you ask if you could have more hours or maybe you sould even go get a second job. Or maybe try to find some things you could do on the side and get paid for. If you don't have a job, you better get out there.

seth98esT
12-28-2002, 12:54 AM
:scary:

somebody said "J-O-B"!!!!

:scary:

i got a job! as an intermural hockey ref! w00t!

redlobster
12-28-2002, 05:18 PM
lol yes i have a job and have had one since i was legal to work, unlike certain people my family doesnt give handouts and im not priveledged to get money from others, every piece of my automobile belongs to my hard work, i am in no way trying to insult you or mocking you, i am just very upset by constintly seeing people getting whatever they want without putting out the due effort.
thanks

burthold
12-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Dude, I feel your pain. I'm 30 and still paying 1500 every 6 months. I was only paying about 70 a month for liablility on my old cadillac but for some reason the ins company seems to think my '01 GTZ is worth a whole lot more. It will get alot better once you break 25.

Wes

redlobster
12-28-2002, 05:32 PM
i know what ur saying man, being a young white guy can really suck some times. I just dont think that a galant should cost that much to insure, its not a friggin sports car and its only a 96 plus it has dual airbags, oh well thats life and it can really suck some times.

2True
12-28-2002, 06:13 PM
According to the insurance companies, ANY MAN (regardless of race BTW) under the age of 25 is the largest liability to insure. Sux don't it.

Sell your life away... that's what I did. Now bills are no biggie https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

redlobster
12-28-2002, 06:46 PM
really i always thought that white guys had to pay the most, damn that surgery to get my skin color changed
what do u mean sell ur life away? like male prostitution? :-)
sean

escoson
12-29-2002, 01:00 AM
if you guys think 1000-3000 is bad per year, im a new driver in NJ and im paying a little over $3,300.00+ a year. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

jomin1016
12-29-2002, 01:12 AM
Uhhh...well, hey guys, don't wanna rub it in or anything, cuz I know I'm older than most of u, so my rate is gonna be lower, but - I'm payin 844 a YEAR....for full coverage on my 2k es....try electric insurance.com....they came in about 600 bux cheaper than my last policy....and whatever u do, keep your credit report clean, and pay your billz ON TIME, cuz ins co's check weigh that heavily when setting premiums....

will535
12-29-2002, 01:15 AM
i have my galant now for 1 year. i went from 300 a month to 240 a month just give it time and it will drop. even with a bad record. my record can't get any worse.

2True
12-29-2002, 02:55 AM
really i always thought that white guys had to pay the most, damn that surgery to get my skin color changed
what do u mean sell ur life away? like male prostitution? :-)
sean

Hey look, I was just saying being "young and white" has nothing to do with it, only being "young". Understand? Or are my posts too "ethnic" for you to grasp the concept?

If you think you can make a decent living as a male prostitute then go for it. :roll:
What I meant by "Sell your life away" was to the DOD ( Department of Defense), it solved my money problems lol
Your insurance will go down too :wink:

manybrews
12-29-2002, 10:34 AM
my current car is a 93 mirage 2 door coupe.

i pay about 30 bucks a month for it.

so the trick is to drive shit-mobiles, i guess.

redlobster
12-29-2002, 12:49 PM
lol i meant nothing bad by that young and white response, it was purely a joke, and i can grasp what you are saying. I am actually a very intelligent person at least to my knowledge. Thats just what i had always heard, thanks for clearing it up. Anyways ill try that insurance website somebody listed on an earlier post
thanks everybody

bstnsportsfan
12-29-2002, 05:12 PM
I paid 1200 for 6 months, and I am 20 and live in Florida. Its high but what am I going to do? I got in one small accident where i didnt even claim my car. We will get a new quote in feb, it should go down a little, maybe 1100 for 6 months. I am under my parents insurance. For another 5 years I pay high insurance, then once I turn 25 (or is it 24) it will plumet, so until then, I just pay it.

redlobster
12-29-2002, 09:25 PM
ya i know what you mean, i also get a pay in feb and am hoping that my rates will drop some anything is better than nothing! Also my grades are gonna be good this time so that will lower it too, im just hoping they'll kick in b4 its due!

TurboGalant
12-30-2002, 11:25 AM
Age is a very big factor here. You won't see any dramatic decrease in your premium until you turn 25.

I go through USAA (for military mambers and their families). I was on my parents plan til I turned 21, then it was cheaper for me to pay for my own plan. I have never been late on an insurance payment for over 11 years. I pay that before paying rent or getting groceries. BTW, for full coverage on both my truck and my Galant, and renters insurance, I shell out a hefty $125/month. I squeezed USAA for all the discounts I could get.

Keep up the good grades, most places give good student discounts. I used that as long as I could.

2True
12-30-2002, 03:31 PM
I use USAA also bro. They offered me a yearly plan that cannot be beat. I'm 22 years old and I only pay $137 a monthe for the Galant and the Talon. :thumbsup:

Hooahhh Air Force!

Spacepower! AEF! lol

MitsuMan
12-31-2002, 09:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>my current car is a 93 mirage 2 door coupe.

i pay about 30 bucks a month for it.

so the trick is to drive shit-mobiles, i guess.</div>

ahahahahaha.......but seriously though, thats the basic premise

MitsuMan
12-31-2002, 12:37 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif

redlobster
12-31-2002, 01:25 PM
Thats my anwser! sell the galant and buy my friends wrecked 88 civic with 230,000 miles it still runs too! amazingly considering he punished the f*ck outta it and wrecked the front end ! to bad hondas always lose!

BlackBeauty
01-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Insurance can be so expensive. I have a mate with a WRX STI and he pays about $8KAUD per year (approx $4KUS).

But for my galant - 94 HJ JDM with mags, sound system, lowered, 'zorst and me behind the wheel (25yo/fem), it originally cost me $2500AUD (approx $1250US) per year to insure (comprehensive insurance).....

Youch! :orangeno: