PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine light...High pressure in fuel tank

CHICAGO_ONE
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
So the other night my Service Engine light comes on, and Im not sure why. The car starts up fine, drives fine, no noticeable noises, no smells, nothing seemed wrong. So today, I go to fill up the tank, and when I took off the gas cap, it hisses like a shaken up 2 liter of pop. I dont know what that means, so I play it safe and drive directly home. It was only 5 blocks, so I check it out again, it does the same thing. I left the car on, checked the tranny fluid, etc. then back to the fuel tank, AGAIN it hisses at me. It seems to be building pressure in a short amount of time.

What is this?

And apparently Autozone won't check codes when its getting dark out.

:roll:

RedGalant2k1
01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Any other symptoms you can tell us about?

CHICAGO_ONE
01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
nope thats all im getting. just seems to be pressure. I contacted a mechanic friend, he said it could be some sort of valve in the gas cap. Suggested i go buy a cheap one, see if it works...no such luck.
I looked at the owners manual for the G, they said this could happen if the gas cap was loose at one point, but after its retightened, drive it around a bit and it'll wear off. ::shrug::

RedGalant2k1
01-08-2008, 06:37 PM
So you have a check engine light on now? Does it idle lower or higher than normal? Do you notice any smoke out of the tailpipe?

CHICAGO_ONE
01-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah the check engine light remains lit. Car idles normally, and there is no noticeable smoke from the tailpipe. I just dropped it off at the shop, so I'll be sure to see tomorrow.

Fishboy55
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
My guess is that the small pump on the passenger side of the engine block that pressurizes your fuel system to prevent that hiss (and the fumes being dispensed in the atmosphere) is either not working or the hose is clogged.

If autozone weren't such a bunch of dicks when its dark, the code would likely be "Evaporative Emissions system major leak detected"

Let us know what the shop tells you...

RAZ_76
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Make sure your gas cap is one tight then go disconnect your -NEG on the battery for about 10 minutes, it will go away if it doesn't then get it checked.

duh2150
01-09-2008, 01:03 AM
gimme me the code..

6G72Galant
01-09-2008, 06:00 AM
There was a recall on 8Gs. It was the fuel pump or fuel lines i believe. They said the pressure was too high? :? I had mines fixed because my fuel lines were constantly coming loose from the excess pressure. Check with Mitsubishi about the recall.

CHICAGO_ONE
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I looked up those recalls...supposedly it was only for the '03s. Mines an '01

Problem Solved:
It was the rear purge solenoid. It wasn't purging, therefore collecting gases and pressurizing. Not safe, but luckily nothing terrible happened.

polishmafia
01-11-2008, 08:04 AM
glad you got it figured out. and thanks for posting the solution! i hate when these threads dont get resolved. it would be nice if everyone did so in the future people can search them and find the answers they need :)

2002BlackDragon
01-14-2008, 10:08 AM
"Evaporative Emissions system major leak detected"

Hey Fishboy55, I think that is the code that my car pops up with. Is there anything else that could cause this problem. I had it put in the shop and they put it on the machine and all it read was that i need to replace the O2 sensor in bank one and that i have a valve head gasket leak. Could these cause the light to come on, or is there something else.

What my car seems to do when i drive it: Starts to "bog down" as if i am loosing power until i have to come to a complete stop, but never dies. Sometimes i smell fuel, in side and outside the car. And it hesitates when taking off from a dead start.

When i took it to the shop, they drove it for a little while to figure out what i was talking about, but said it never happened while they drove it. What do you think?

adambant
02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a 2001 2.4L. I have a p0451, purge solenoid code. Can you guys tell me exactly where this solenoid is located? Im assuming its somewhere near the gas tank. Do i have to drop the tank? Also, is this a dealer only part, or can i get it anywhere? Thanks, I would really appreciate ANY help here, as the car is due for inspection right now.

Adam.

mko
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
idk for 7g the purge solenoid is right behind the intake manifold. it has to be in the engine bay, because the evaporation canister is in the engine bay and the purge solenoid applies vacuum to the canister. I know you guys have a tank pressure sensor as well which is in the tank

Jeffylou87
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Could it have been a faulty cap?

mko
02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
it is supposed to be pressurized