PDA

View Full Version : water leakin from my glove box area ! + noise - Heater Core?

Eclipse97526
01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Well i was driving home from portland today, and i noticed there was an aquatic reflection. There was a pool of water on my passenger floor matt. Its leaking from the plastic guard right underneath the glove box, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas... Is this just my heater core going out ? or something.... Its not antifreeze, It appears to be plain water. Fluids are all ok. I do have a broken rear motor mount, causing lots of vibration. and now i hear a clicking... Almost like metal on metal, Coming from under the dash, Is there a condensation drip pipe or something that could have busted ? It leaks really bad when the car gets warmed up, then i per say, go around a corner hard...

Also when the heater is on, and only when i make a hard left, It makes a noise like... Water hitting the wheel well. Or best described like that... And when i turn the car on, The heater goes SQUUUUUUEEEEELLLL Then it stops, and the heater starts blowing. Im just guessing its a heater core, im not even sure where its located. I havent even checked my manual yet, Going to wait for daylight tomarrow, and further investigate.

WarmAndSCSI
01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
The heater core has the same anti-freeze/water mix as your cooling system has in it, so I doubt that pool of water is from it.

Eclipse97526
01-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Hrmmm. Well could weather stripping let water leak inside, to where it could leak, cause its like leaking from all around the foot area on the passenger side. Really wierd... I was pissed off, i did come outside, and saw a cigrate on my weather stripping, directly on the roof, Someone threw it there, and it melted the plastic.....

Eclipse97526
01-12-2008, 10:56 PM
it was raining for 2 days, and it didnt start leakin around the footing ( passeengerside ) till it stipped raining. And was a couple hours later, And if i went around a corner hard, LOTS of water came out.

WarmAndSCSI
01-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd guess you have a leak then! Not sure from where, though. You're going to have to figure that part out. It's definitely not your heater core.

Eclipse97526
01-12-2008, 11:07 PM
yea, thanks for the info :) Ill hafta wait for tomarrow and check it out, dont look like the cig burned threw, just melted it a little bit, the weather stripping that is right there under the hood ( by the windshield ) looks like its not on the white clippys, So ill check it out. its ok on the driver side, but looks like it came off on the passenger side.

qnz
01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
my guess is that you have a clogged evap drain. when you make left turns, do you hear the sound of rushing water? if so. then the evap drain is clogged and water isnt draining to the outside. the drain can be found standing on the driver side fender. its on the firewall, towards the bottom. if you look at the rear motor mount, its the black nub thats right behind it. i took an air compressor and blew air into the hole, freeing up the clog.

Eclipse97526
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
thanks for the info man, That sounds EXACTLY whats going on, and it seems like it is condensation from the heater, cause i dont see any water dripping from underneath as usal . Thanks for the heads up. Anyone got a rear motor mount layin around ? mine is compleltly gone, its like nothing but metal, all the rubber is broken off and it looks really bad, lol. Ill check the forsale section. ;)

Eclipse97526
01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Problem solved ! Thanks a ton man ! :)

qnz
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
cool. if the mats start to smell from the standing water, lysol will do the trick

Flutterbyfilms
01-17-2008, 07:40 PM
My car has been doing this as well. I took it to a shop, and when they blew out the drain, a freakin' mud-dobber's nest came out. How the hell are they building a nest in my car?

It must not have all come out though, bc I still get some leaking sometimes. I took my whole carpet out bc it was starting to stink. I need to clean it up and get this crap fixed. Glad you got yours taken care of.

beam514
01-17-2008, 07:56 PM
My car has been doing this as well. I took it to a shop, and when they blew out the drain, a freakin' mud-dobber's nest came out. How the hell are they building a nest in my car?

It must not have all come out though, bc I still get some leaking sometimes. I took my whole carpet out bc it was starting to stink. I need to clean it up and get this crap fixed. Glad you got yours taken care of.

When I took mine, a loose bolt came out :shock: we still have no idea where it came from

qnz
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
this stuff is from the vents that are located under the windshield wipers. The vent holes are kinda big to fit nuts, and sticks and stuff. In older models, 99-00 i believe, have in cabin filters. if you have an older model, be sure to clean out the filter

jgold47
04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
does anyone have any pictures of the drain that gets clogged. new the gallant so I am not sure what I am looking for just yet.

Eclipse97526
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
on the new one nope ! and getting a picture of it is nearly impossible, it is in a very very bad location, and hiddien behind the trans motor mount, along the driver side steering wheel. I would idmagine this location would have moved VERY little. even from 8g to 9g. etc.

Just a heads up, if its not 100 % clogged. You can get a small container (like a mayonase jar)
and fill it with water. and pour it on your windshield. ( like washing your window or rain ETC)
this will leak down the evap drainage system, and if its not toatly blocked, IT will leak out of the bottom of your car ( from the EVAP drain Plug ) and when u take if off. you will notice why it gets clogged so easy, it tappers down very small at the end, and gets leaves and dirt and everything forced down from the winshield. Thus clogging and flooding our interior... cool huh ...

Also make sure to check for the rubber frame plugs under neath your spare tire in the trunk, They are known to go back and let moisture in as well.

Flutterbyfilms
05-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Also make sure to check for the rubber frame plugs under neath your spare tire in the trunk, They are known to go back and let moisture in as well.

Can you clarify what you mean here? I sometimes get water in my trunk. Can I put silicone or something to seal around these plugs and fix this?

2002BlackDragon
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Okay, mine just started doing this also. I found the drain on the bottom of the firewall and i cant seem to get anything out of it. So where do i put the airhose to blow it out? If i stick it in the opening in the firewall, wont it just blow everything back into the system? So how would i blow it out?

UAL Tripple 7
05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Stick the air hose in the drain and blow it. The garbage will come out into the passenger cabin. I had to remove the glove box and a couple of other things back when I had to do this. It has been a few years since I did it so I cant remember all of the things I had to remove. I had a dead leafs so it didn't make a mess in the passenger cabin. Just put a plastic bag on the passenger side floor and you wont have any problems.

2002BlackDragon
05-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Cool, but i already did it. Just put the air hose to it and blew it out. Water came pooring out of the drain. Maybe on my next day off i will take the glove box off. Guess that would be a good time to paint it. LOL

rjohnson67
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Can you clarify what you mean here? I sometimes get water in my trunk. Can I put silicone or something to seal around these plugs and fix this?
I had this same problem and I sealed it up with silicone (www.xiameter.com/en/ExploreSilicones/Silicone_Rubber/Pages/silicone-rubber.aspx). So far, it's help up good.